Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insight Cards, Rush

Options
  • 08-10-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

I have been trying to get copies of a particular postcard published by Insight Cards Ltd, of Rush. When I failed to find it in any retail outlets, I decided to go directly to the publisher - to find that they went into liquidation four years ago.

Many of their cards are still on sale, so I imagine that the stock was sold by the liquidator to some distributor. Does anybody here know anything about the firm, and what might have happened to their stock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

They were run from a house down in Rodgerstown. Can't remember the name of the guy though. Sad to hear they are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

It was ran by Gerry Price who retired a number of years ago and the company was taken over by his sons Paul and Stephen. Not sure if they went into liquidation or just sold the company.

Peter Zoeller was their main photographer and here are his details
    Peter Zoeller
    Kenmare, County Kerry
    Mobile ++353 87 2340185
    E-mail peterzoeller@eircom.net

blocks_image_1_1.jpg

If you have one of their cards you could probably still write to the company at
    Cresent Road
    Rush

Made a mess of copying the details but I think they are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Thanks, people.

The particular card I am trying to get probably wasn't pictured by Peter Zoeller. It's a picture of a thatched cottage in west Kerry, and was probably taken more than 50 years ago, maybe much more than that.

To tell the truth, I don't much care for it as a postcard picture. But I have learned that my great-grandfather was born in that house. The family connection with it goes back to the 1850s, and possibly decades before that. The house still exists, but has been demoted to serve as a shed, and has a galvanised roof - more practical but less picturesque than thatch. I met the current owner, and he showed me the postcard image. I tried every shop in west Kerry that sells postcards. Lots of Insight product on sale, but not this particular image.

Before I came here for help, I found a phone number for Insight Cards and tried ringing it. I was told, in a weary "oh, no, not another" voice that it was a private number. I don't know if the number was re-assigned, or if it was a member of the Price family, and they have cut all connections with the business.

I found a list of companies in liquidation produced in 2007. Insight Cards were on that list.

If the business failed, or was closed down by the family, a few years ago, then I have no right to chase the former owners. That's one of the reasons I came here: I hoped there might be some local knowledge that would show me another road I could go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

catch--22 wrote: »
    They were run from a house down in Rodgerstown
    Were they also based a few doors up from the Carlyan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Yes, the building there before the factory was used in the movie Some Mothers Son as an RUC/Army station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

They were alright. One of the sons was in the scouts a few years before me so we used to hit him up for sponsorship every now and again and he always gave us a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thanks, people.

Before I came here for help, I found a phone number for Insight Cards and tried ringing it. I was told, in a weary "oh, no, not another" voice that it was a private number. I don't know if the number was re-assigned, or if it was a member of the Price family, and they have cut all connections with the business.

If the business failed, or was closed down by the family, a few years ago, then I have no right to chase the former owners. That's one of the reasons I came here: I hoped there might be some local knowledge that would show me another road I could go.

I am pretty sure if you wrote to Gerry Price who is a very nice man he would help you out if he could or point you in the right direction.
    Yeah, where D.P Gymnastics are now based
    catch--22 wrote: »
    They were alright. One of the sons was in the scouts a few years before me so we used to hit him up for sponsorship every now and again and he always gave us a few quid.

They were very good to all local clubs. Actually the first cub troop set up in Rush Gerry was a leader probably around 1970-72

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

LeoB wrote: »
    I am pretty sure if you wrote to Gerry Price who is a very nice man he would help you out if he could or point you in the right direction....

Thanks. That sounds encouraging. Nearly every online source gives The Square, Rush, as the business address. It seems clear from this thread, among other sources, that this address no longer works.

Would you mind checking this link and telling me if the address given would lead me to Gerry Price: http://www.irishbusiness.ie/view.php?i=92225?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mmisel

hi,

the products of insight cards are now sold by allied imports in ireland,
    they still have around 40000 pictures at stock, but they will not produce them any more.

Allied House, Northwest Business Park Phase 3, Ballycoolin, Dublin 15, Ireland.
    Tel: +353-1-8809150 Fax: +353-1-880 9156

Regards
    mike

Advertisement