Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please dont let this be an expensive problem....

Options
  • 08-10-2011 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

God why does everything break at once??
    Looking for advise please, we have a peuguet 307. It is 04. Has been serviced in august, however since then the power seems to be going. I mean it is so hard to get going when starting off from stopping, like you have to really rev it. Once it gets going it is ok, like when you are in forth and fifth gear.
    Not sure if it is related but there is an icon lighting up on the dash saying anti pollutant fault? ? We got this reset a couple times in our local garage and the light will stay off for few months. It didn't seem to affect car at all.
    So does anyone know what either problem would be?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

maybe leaking inlet manifold, bad MAF ?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Hi thanks for reply. I am not sure what you mean? Maybe i am in wrong forum? I haven't a clue about cars at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Hi thanks for reply. I am not sure what you mean? Maybe i am in wrong forum? I haven't a clue about cars at all?

Your in the DIY forum so unless your fixing it yourself it the wrong forum:)

Is the car reving but not going anywhere or will it not rev at all?

Your in the DIY forum so unless your fixing it yourself it the wrong forum:)

Is the car reving but not going anywhere or will it not rev at all?

my mistake! Sorry...
    Car is reving loudly but its like it has no power.... Maybe similar to when you move off in too high a gear?? Hope that makes sense!

my mistake! Sorry...
    Car is reving loudly but its like it has no power.... Maybe similar to when you move off in two high a gear?? Hope that makes sense!

Your clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced. Common for clutches to go on the 307.

Approx €350 to replace IMO

• Advertisement

Your clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced. Common for clutches to go on the 307.

Approx €350 to replace IMO

wow! Thanks for that diagnosis doctor!!
    At least i am armed for some info before facing the garage.
    The price is pretty steep but could be worse, our combinatio(not sure if that is correct name) unit had to be replaced this year too. Apparently that is also a common fault with the 307. Cost 500 yo yos! The mechanic told us they have since modified the part so the fault dosnt happen now.
    Never buying another peuguet for sure!
    Lastly do you know if that slipping clutch could be causing the 'anti pollutant fault' light on our dash or is that a separate problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Not sure if it is related but there is an icon lighting up on the dash saying anti pollutant fault? ? We got this reset a couple times in our local garage and the light will stay off for few months. It didn't seem to affect car at all.

As Nissan doctor has said get your clutch checked out.
    Also..What fault codes (p-codes) did your garage pick up...?

Reseting the faults won't fix the problem...:rolleyes:
    The anti pollution fault is coming up for a reason..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

The price is pretty steep but could be worse, our combinatio(not sure if that is correct name) unit had to be replaced this year too. Apparently that is also a common fault with the 307.

coms unit i'm guessing...this is the control unit around the steering wheel.
    €500 seems alittle steep...:eek:

wow! Thanks for that diagnosis doctor!!
    At least i am armed for some info before facing the garage.
    The price is pretty steep but could be worse, our combinatio(not sure if that is correct name) unit had to be replaced this year too. Apparently that is also a common fault with the 307. Cost 500 yo yos! The mechanic told us they have since modified the part so the fault dosnt happen now.
    Never buying another peuguet for sure!
    Lastly do you know if that slipping clutch could be causing the 'anti pollutant fault' light on our dash or is that a separate problem....

The anti pollutant fault is seperate unfortunatly, is it petrol or diesel?

The anti pollutant fault is seperate unfortunatly, is it petrol or diesel?

god i hate this car!! It is petrol!
    Yes it was the coms unit, 500 was including the labour too so that prob bumped up the price?

• Advertisement

Row wrote: »
    As Nissan doctor has said get your clutch checked out.
    Also..What fault codes (p-codes) did your garage pick up...?

Reseting the faults won't fix the problem...:rolleyes:
    The anti pollution fault is coming up for a reason..:)

hmm, i know you are right!
    Am defo out of my depth here....p codes??! Garage said they would have to check it out further at a cost of 350 but that price would only be if there was a certain problem??
    They said if they reset it and light stayed off then there was no problem! The light stayed off for months and months.
    Also forgot to add they said it might have been due to the cold weather last winter...... (maybe he was joking!)

hmm, i know you are right!
    Am defo out of my depth here....p codes??! Garage said they would have to check it out further at a cost of 350 but that price would only be if there was a certain problem??
    They said if they reset it and light stayed off then there was no problem! The light stayed off for months and months.
    Also forgot to add they said it might have been due to the cold weather last winter...... (maybe he was joking!)

Its likely either a catalytic converter or a lambda sensor problem. You'll need to have a garage not only read the fault codes, as so many do and then just start replacing parts to see what fixes it, but also read the life data from the cars computer so properly diagnose what parts is causing the issue.

Its likely either a catalytic converter or a lambda sensor problem. You'll need to have a garage not only read the fault codes, as so many do and then just start replacing parts to see what fixes it, but also read the life data from the cars computer so properly diagnose what parts is causing the issue.

ok thanks a million for all your help and the info! I will say that to the garage and maybe i will look knowledgeable!
    Are those two problems you suggested cheap and really easily fixed??
    *crosses fingers and checks tonight lotto results*

ok thanks a million for all your help and the info! I will say that to the garage and maybe i will look knowledgeable!
    Are those two problems you suggested cheap and really easily fixed??
    *crosses fingers and checks tonight lotto results*

The catalytic converter may be what they were getting at for the €350. Lambda sensors are cheaper but it may not be any of those things, there could be some other engine issue having a knock on effect of those parts, thats why correct diagnosis is important.

If your bringing to to a garage make sure they are able to tell you exactly what needs doing and why, not 'we are going to try this but it may not solve it' or whatever. That just means they don't know how to diagnose the fault properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

Same happened my last car and it was catalytic converter and spark plugs!

The catalytic converter may be what they were getting at for the €350. Lambda sensors are cheaper but it may not be any of those things, there could be some other engine issue having a knock on effect of those parts, thats why correct diagnosis is important.

If your bringing to to a garage make sure they are able to tell you exactly what needs doing and why, not 'we are going to try this but it may not solve it' or whatever. That just means they don't know how to diagnose the fault properly.

ok i get ya now! It is like getting to the root of the problem instead of just potentially a make shift solution!
    Really fantastic to have some background info and good advice beforehand so thank you so much!
    I will let you know how i get on.... Unless your next post will give a diagram of how to fix this all with some twigs from the garden and some sellotape?

phelo2121 wrote: »
    Same happened my last car and it was catalytic converter and spark plugs!

seems likely to be the problem here too so! I really have bad luck with cars!

ok i get ya now! It is like getting to the root of the problem instead of just potentially a make shift solution!
    Really fantastic to have some background info and good advice beforehand so thank you so much!
    I will let you know how i get on.... Unless your next post will give a diagram of how to fix this all with some twigs from the garden and some sellotape?

1800-MacGyver:D

god ment to ask its not dangerous is it? Been driving around for months getting polluted in my car??! If the anti polluting is not working!

god ment to ask its not dangerous is it? Been driving around for months getting polluted in my car??! If the anti polluting is not working!

Its not dangerous, it means that the emissions coming out of the exhaust will likely be higher then they should be, not that any gasses or anything will be entering the car.

• Advertisement

Its not dangerous, it means that the emissions coming out of the exhaust will likely be higher then they should be, not that any gasses or anything will be entering the car.

phew....that's good for me. Probably not for the environment though:( i will recycle extra hard to make up for that.
    Again thank you for sharing your knowledge. I will let you know how it goes!

hey just to let you know you were bang on about everything!
    Car blew up and was tower to garage!
    Clutch replaced at 450 yoyo including labour...eek!
    Sensor replaced which he thought was the problem (hope this is too) for 30.
    All in all car running fantastic now and delightful not to see all the flashing icons on my dash.
    Thanks for the diagnosics and advice!

Advertisement