Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Weight watchers low carb?

Options
  • 08-10-2011 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Have just read through the Idiot Proof Diet book and have been dipping my toes into low carbing for a few months now. (havent actually gone the whole hog yet and as a result my weight has stayed the same but bloating has gone) Im finding that I can be really good for 3/4 of the day but then fall off the wagon wanting something sweet with my tea or feeling sorry for myself and thinking fe*k it, i deserve a treat. I have done Weight Watchers before and feel like I need some more accountability as to what I am actually putting into my mouth because I am left feeling guilty after I treat myself and it just seems like Im constantly promising myself to start fresh the next day.

Basically I was wondering if I was to join weight watchers, could I still lose weight/fat if I was to do it in a low carb way? That way Id be tracking what Im eating but still avoiding crappy carbs except if I slip up and have a treat or a glass of wine it would still be in my points allowance for that day and so wouldnt be detrimental? Obviously Id avoid the fruits as well for the first while as theyre so sugary. Would this work? I have tried tracking my carb allowance on fitpal for a while but when cheese is coming up as 0g carbs, Ive kinda done the dog on it and had nearly five babybels a day!

Or, and Im hoping this isnt true but think it might be, I read in the IPD book that you need to be extreme when low carbing for two weeks to shock your body into using its fat stores and any slip up or sugar youd have would be disastrous and you would have to go back to the beginning and start all over again. So, if thats the case, I couldnt go with WWs at all then?

Im currently 5'5" and 148lbs, would ideally like to lose a stone or a stone and a half but more importantly, just want to look smaller and more toned. I do weights and yoga once a week each and walk 2 evenings but am aiming to start jogging again for one of these.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

From my understanding of WW (unless it has changed recently), the way the points are calculated is very much in favour of high carb, low fat foods, and against any food with a significant fat content. I remember my sister, while doing WW, refusing to take a fish oil supplement because each capsule was one point.

So a typical low carb day's food would add up to more points than the same calories worth of high carb food.

I get the impression (but I'm open to correction) that Unislim is more likely to work for someone who is low carbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

EileenG wrote: »
    From my understanding of WW (unless it has changed recently), the way the points are calculated is very much in favour of high carb, low fat foods, and against any food with a significant fat content. I remember my sister, while doing WW, refusing to take a fish oil supplement because each capsule was one point.

So a typical low carb day's food would add up to more points than the same calories worth of high carb food.

I get the impression (but I'm open to correction) that Unislim is more likely to work for someone who is low carbing.

You certainly would have been correct on the old plan, but the new (well since last January) "pro-points" plan is more pro-protein and now the high carb items have relatively higher points.
    I got to goal Oct 09 but continued to weigh-in once a month and then started losing a bit more following the pro-points plan since January.
    I'm interested in fitness & nutrition so probably did a more "clean" and low-carb version of the plan that a lot of ww'ers. But the good thing you can take what you want from the programme - the weekly weigh-ins, the community support, and whatever nutirional info that you deem relevant & useful to you.
    I wouldn't say it to your leader that you are doing low-carb though, she'll just give you the party line, food pyramind schtick.

best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

EileenG wrote: »

They've changed it. Points are based almost directly from calories.
    I say almost as protein calories are given a slightly lower rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Mellor wrote: »
    They've changed it. Points are based almost directly from calories.
    I say almost as protein calories are given a slightly lower rating.

Points are now calculated based on the amount of
    Protein, Carbohydrates, Fat & Fibre in foods
    instead of Calories & Saturated Fats, as they were in the old plan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

That's good news then.

• Advertisement

That's not different to what I said.

In order to work out the points you enter in the Protein, carbs, fat and fibre into the calculator. And each has an assigned weighing, these weightings are based directly off the calorific value. The exception being protein, which gets a reduction of 80%.

So 350cals of fat is 10 points.
    350 cals of carbs is 10 points.
    350 cals of protein is 8 points.

The weighting for fibre very low, as its its calorific value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MORIO

am joining weight watchers today and feel very frightened...tearful.
    am so scared of what my weight will be and feel like a total failure as this is an ongoing balttle for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Any diet based on keeping calories consumed to a sensible level isnt all that bad IMO.. however, if you were to follow a true low carb diet you shouldnt really be calorie counting at all, at least thats my understanding of it.

corkcomp wrote: »
    Any diet based on keeping calories consumed to a sensible level isnt all that bad IMO.. however, if you were to follow a true low carb diet you shouldnt really be calorie counting at all, at least thats my understanding of it.
    Why not?

Yuo can do low carb on a defecit, or low carb on a surplus. Both are very different

Advertisement