Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving Cert - Medicine

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I suppose I'm lucky in a way. I was one of the youngest in my year so I'm now the right age for the leaving cert. Still annoying seeing everyone I know in college! At least now I can always say I tried!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

seamie87 wrote: »
    Dan I'm in a similar position. I'm 24 thinking of doing medicine, have to go the leaving cert route, cause I was a lost interest in my course (civil eng.) and didn't get a 2.1.
    Dan understand that if you have done your leaving cert before you don't have to do Irish, French or English as you meet the entry requirements. This is assuming that you aren't particularly talented at these. You might be better off doing other subjects instead.

I am thinking of doing maths, app maths, con studies(i need to find a teacher to supervise this), tech drawing, physics, chemistry and/or biology.

When I planned out these subjects keep in mind that I got A2s in maths, con studies, tech drawing first time round, I got a B3 in physics. Did stuff similar to app. maths in college. So chemistry and biology are the only new ones.

It's all about playing to your strengths.

Remember that you still need to pass English, Irish and a foreign language as well as get the points ALL in the same year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

seamie87 wrote: »
    Dan understand that if you have done your leaving cert before you don't have to do Irish, French or English as you meet the entry requirements. This is assuming that you aren't particularly talented at these. You might be better off doing other subjects instead.

I am thinking of doing maths, app maths, con studies(i need to find a teacher to supervise this), tech drawing, physics, chemistry and/or biology.

Make sure you are familiar with the difference in entry to medicine as opposed to any other course. You MUST get the entry requirements and the points in 1 sitting of the LC.

All the info you need: http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2011UGMed Entry.pdf

(just stick those 2 parts of the link together, Boards.ie sensors out Med Entry)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 seamie87

I checked that. You're right eyescream.

from http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements-faqs.asp
    "An applicant may combine the results of Leaving Certificate examinations obtained in different years for Matriculation purposes. However, t his applies to Matriculation only; it does not apply to points which are awarded on the Leaving Certificate results obtained in the same year. Also, it should be noted that students seeking to enter Medicine must achieve the minimum entry (Matriculation) requirements and minimum course entry requirements in the same sitting of the Leaving Certificate. Students are advised to contact the Admissions Office of the Constituent University they wish to apply to for further details."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Will people do 6 scoring subjects and then add on OL Irish/English/French?

• Advertisement
Advertisement