Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Strawberries and Rhubarb, store or plant?

Options
  • 08-10-2011 5:33pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just picked up a few packs of strawberries and Rhubarb in Lidl today, they are in plastic packs, and appear to be completely sealed, so in theory they will retain any water that's in the pack. We have a few mature rhubarb crowns that have done reasonably well over the last number of years, but they have not cropped as well the last 2 years, I suspect due to the very harsh winters, and there are also raspberry canes close that do well, and I'm hoping to put some of the strawberries close to the canes.

Do I plant now, and try and protect them from frost over the winter, or am I better to find a cool dark corner somewhere that will be frost free, and leave them there until next spring, as the planting recommendations for both is to plant in may June time. Another alternative would be to pot them up now and keep in the garage so they don't freeze.

The Strawberries in particular are meant to be kept frost free, so given the way that the last 2 winters have gone, that suggests they would be better kept out of the ground for now.

They have started throwing some visible shoots, so I'm not sure which is the best plan for them, having got them, and knowing how these things can go if they are not treated correctly, I would prefer not to get it wrong.

We're in Ashbourne, Co Meath, and our site would be colder than most in the area as we're low lying at the bottom of the hill, so the cold air tends to run down to us and hang around here. Soil is pretty heavy, and tends to be wet in winter.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I dont know about strawberries (will plant em when it stops raining this weekend!)

but had a packet of those rhubarbs kept it in packet over winter (completely forgot about em in a drawer) and planted in summer and nothing came up...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Both rhubarb and strawberries are very hardy and should be ok in the garden. I wonder if the 'keep frost free' just relates to the plant while it is bare root and in the bag.

I certainly would not leave them in the bags, at very least plant them in pots in a sheltered area, but really you should be able to put them in the garden.

Advertisement