Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance not accepted!!

Options
  • 08-10-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

iv a very serious problem. iv been renting a private house with the help of rent allowance but my lease is now up and the landlord is moving back in due t his circumstances. My problem is when he gave me the notice(2 months) before my lease was up i started looking around for a new place but i kept getting sorrywe dont accept rent allowance or when they ask if im working and i tell them imon rent allowance i never hear back for a viewing even after i follow the calls up. im staying in a friends house with my son and her 4 children,its very cramped and stressful and not at all ideal. i have a great reference from my old lanlord but still no luck getting a place. iv tried widening my search around my sons school but still nohing. my question is if i went to the dublin city council where i am on the housing list and explained my situation do yo think they would help me to find a place asap? im desperate at this stage...any info is welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

nikkico1 wrote: »
    iv a very serious problem. iv been renting a private house with the help of rent allowance but my lease is now up and the landlord is moving back in due t his circumstances. My problem is when he gave me the notice(2 months) before my lease was up i started looking around for a new place but i kept getting sorrywe dont accept rent allowance or when they ask if im working and i tell them imon rent allowance i never hear back for a viewing even after i follow the calls up. im staying in a friends house with my son and her 4 children,its very cramped and stressful and not at all ideal. i have a great reference from my old lanlord but still no luck getting a place. iv tried widening my search around my sons school but still nohing. my question is if i went to the dublin city council where i am on the housing list and explained my situation do yo think they would help me to find a place asap? im desperate at this stage...any info is welcome!

They wont accept rent allowance at this stage as its about to be taken away or massively slashed. So landlords dont really want anyone in their properties now who are going to be on rent allowance. Imagine the mess when rent allowance is stopped and you cant pay the rent, but the landlord has to evict you. They dont want that situation and neither do you.
    You might still get somewhere to take rent allowance though, but its getting harder and harder.

While you are looking you should still go to your local TD or social worker and they can get you into temporary accommodation while you are waiting on the housing list. I know they have lots of houses where 2 or 3 families share the house. You could be on the housing list for years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nikkico1

i wll get on to a TD,thats a good idea thanks!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have you considered actually placing a wanted advert yourself?

iv registered for a property with a few letting agents but nothing came of it,i did place an ad on gumtree but no response:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

The very serious problem is you not having a job, actually.
    So try to fix it.

• Advertisement

excuse you.. i have a job and im in college full time and im a single mother so if youve a problem with people trying to get on with life as best they can and provide a future for their child maybe you should crawl back under the bridge you came from and deal with your own bitter issues!! i dnt have to explain to you why im on rent allowance because its simply none of your business

oh and incase you forgot the rules on this site here you goFeel free to introduce yourself on the Introductions thread and remember the 3 golden rules:

Attack the post, never the poster. In other words, don't make it personal. If you wish to debate a topic or rebut a statement, insulting any boards.ie user will only get you in trouble. You are free to have a go a their argument. You are not free to have a go at them.
    Don't use text speak. The use of txtspk is strictly forbidden in all forums on boards.
    Don't be a dick. In other words, behave yourself. Treat other people with respect, be nice, friendly, rational, and most of all... have fun!
    ...a quick refresher of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lil-ms-vodka

excuse you.. i have a job and im in college full time and im a single mother so if youve a problem with people trying to get on with life as best they can and provide a future for their child maybe you should crawl back under the bridge you came from and deal with your own bitter issues!! i dnt have to explain to you why im on rent allowance because its simply none of your business

Hey there, what area is it your looking to rent in?

hi... im looking to ren in dublin 5,13 area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lil-ms-vodka

hi... im looking to ren in dublin 5,13 area :)

i work in property but we're not on that side :( have very few landlords who have an issue with rent allowance, should be a common place thing now with the amount of job losses

• Advertisement

You said:
    "when they ask if im working and i tell them imon rent allowance i never hear back for a viewing even after i follow the calls up"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've been told by letting agents/landlords, quite sympathetically, that they do not accept rent allowance on the basis of the kinds of people who they believe to be in receipt of it. In my general area I'd say about 70% of people in receipt of rent allowance totally give landlords justification in this. Although, being on rent allowance myself, I completely understand how there are a large amount of people who are on rent allowance because they currently have no other choice, and are generally outstanding citizens.

I have been told by some people while looking to simply GTFO because by mentioning rent allowance, I am either a dole bum, or one of my area's more common teenage single mothers who throw regular parties, wreck the house and have very unmannerly and messy children (and yes, there are many like that in my area). As many landlords have agreed to meet me and discuss the situation before making a decision. I find the easiest thing to do is to make clear after the viewing that you will be going along the rent allowance route. Usually the person doing the viewing will have made their own opinion of you in this time based on the questions you both ask and answer, and will be more inclined to negotiations if they would like you as a tenant.

My current landlord specifically stated in his DAFT ad that he would not be accepting rent allowance, and agreed to accept it after three consecutive months of me paying rent on time and in full and him discovering that I was simply a quiet, solitary mature student without an awful lot of money. Quite a few places I viewed only put the "Rent Allowance Not Accepted" statement on their ads to discourage the potential tenants mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Icepick wrote: »
    The very serious problem is you not having a job, actually.
    So try to fix it.
    We much prefer constructive answers.

Victor wrote: »
    We much prefer constructive answers.
    People don't yet know what the budget cuts are going to be, but there is a large chance that rent allowance and other benefits will be cut.
    So landlords do not want to take people without a regular source of income.

-- brought to you by Captain Obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

A lot of landlords won't take rent allowance because the don't want to pay tax on the rental. Op hope you get a nice place soon

icepick what part of that said i wasnt working?? it just said when the agent askd if i was working i said i was on RA. There is no point in me saying "oh yes i work part time but im on rent allowance" thats just defeting the whole purpose to why they are askng that question. what they want to know when they ask this is have you a full time job that is going to pay the Rent and simply i answer no, i dont not have a full time job that pays the rent but help from rent allowance. im a student nurse in my final year with a 5 yr old child,i work weekends in the hospital for very litte money and hardly see im child because im trying to make a good life for him. now an apoligy would suffice here but i doubt people like you who are very quick to judge could lower themselves to an apoligy. Stupid, Ignorant people infuriate me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

nikkico1 If I were you I would find an apt or house you like. Preferably not with an agent so you can meet the landlord directly. View the house and win them over with your lovely personality. (If you don't have one pretend) They ususally won't take rent allowance because a certain percentage of recipients of it are idiots that dont work or want to and think they can wreck a house and not have to pay for it (which they don't as they usually get their deposit from the cwo). If the owner can see that you are one of the percentage receiving RA that isn't one of these idiots then you may just have yourself some accomodation. Just leave telling him/her the RA bit til last. Ignore the 'Rent allowance not accepted'. You may not convince the first landlord but keep looking til you find one that will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

foxy06 wrote: »
    nikkico1 If I were you I would find an apt or house you like. Preferably not with an agent so you can meet the landlord directly. View the house and win them over with your lovely personality. (If you don't have one pretend) They ususally won't take rent allowance because a certain percentage of recipients of it are idiots that dont work or want to and think they can wreck a house and not have to pay for it (which they don't as they usually get their deposit from the cwo). If the owner can see that you are one of the percentage receiving RA that isn't one of these idiots then you may just have yourself some accomodation. Just leave telling him/her the RA bit til last. Ignore the 'Rent allowance not accepted'. You may not convince the first landlord but keep looking til you find one that will do it.

+1 to exactly what I said :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lots of landlords won't take RA for a variety of reasons. But arguing why is kinda a different topic. An awful lot do though. Though reluctantly so they don't advertise it.

I don't know how best to find a place, I expect people who rent would be better placed to do that. I would guess that asking everyone you know, family and friends or even your old landlord might the best route.

icepick what part of that said i wasnt working?? it just said when the agent askd if i was working i said i was on RA. There is no point in me saying "oh yes i work part time but im on rent allowance" thats just defeting the whole purpose to why they are askng that question. what they want to know when they ask this is have you a full time job that is going to pay the Rent and simply i answer no, i dont not have a full time job that pays the rent but help from rent allowance. im a student nurse in my final year with a 5 yr old child,i work weekends in the hospital for very litte money and hardly see im child because im trying to make a good life for him. now an apoligy would suffice here but i doubt people like you who are very quick to judge could lower themselves to an apoligy. Stupid, Ignorant people infuriate me!!
    OK, I accept this as an apology but sorry will be enough next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP I had the same problem a few years ago. Once I convinced landlord that I was a fulltime student (on btea) there was no problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- behave.
    If you disagree with what someone else posts- refute the post- *without* attacking the poster.

Its actually very easy to remain civil towards one another- but if you don't- you will get a posting holiday from the forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭irateghost

Still waiting for the rent allowance to be 'slashed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

When they ask you if you're working, you should actually say yes and that you're in college also. You can then go on to explain the rent allowance situation - landlords will be more likely to form a positive opinion about you.

Tell them that you will (if you can) provide a reference from your previous landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Thread is 8 months old. Surely she found somewhere by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are you a jobless person, yes or no.
    iwhen they ask if im working and i tell them imon rent allowance i never hear back
    i have a job and im in college full time
    There is no point in me saying "oh yes i work part time but im on rent allowance" thats just defeting the whole purpose to why they are askng that question.
    I'd say you'd get a the different reaction if you told them that you goto college and you work part-time at the weekend.
    Meathlass wrote: »
    Thread is 8 months old. Surely she found somewhere by now.
    I hate vamps like this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you go to focuspoint, at 11.30 they give out list propertys 11.30am everyday,that accept rent allowance.they will give you advice and help.
    ALSO threshold help people on rent allowance .especially single mothers find accomodation .
    i knew landlords in dublin 15 ,all their tenants were single mothers ,
    AT that time they could get 1000 per month rent from a single mother with one child.
    see http://www.focusireland.ie/index.php/our-services/services-in-your-local-area/144-homeless-support-dublin,

monday to friday, open 10 .30,am
    you may want to go after 2.20 pm, when its much quieter , not crowded.
    You can also get help from centrecare, cathredral st,dublin 1, down the lane,
    from burger king, off o,connell street.

many landlords relied on single mothers ,as they were reliable,
    eg they,d stay for 3 years before they got a council flat.
    threshold is much more private,
    they have nice offices,
    the staff are great in focuspoint,
    very professional, but space in the cafe is small.
    ie not much privacy there.
    I think the rent allowance has been reduced by 10 per cent,
    depends on the area, theres still landlords very happy to take on a single mother as a tenant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Zombie thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement