Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A general query about your guns...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

rowa wrote: »
    Pictures please croppy.

Here you go

Dsc03193.jpg

DSC03197.jpg

The gun has a Jones's under lever for opening, the hammers are described as hare's ear hammers and are half cocking. The barrels are 30" long and the gun weighs in at 6 lb 4 oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Now that's niiiice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Mannlicher Schonauer 1903 model rebarreled in 308

Mauser of 1930,s vintage in original 6.5x55 calibre

Both still doing the biz !

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

i much prefer older shotguns. i love the old english sidebyside guns over anyother shotgun. have a quality feel and each is kind of unique.

newer guns maybe better fi looking for precise target shooting, only downside with older rifles etc is you dont know if they have been badly dropped etc and may not be as accurate but sure same goes for a 2nd hand car.

i cant afford new anything (baerly aford new jeans) so 2nd hand does me.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I much prefer older guns - and older designs - to modern ones. It's not that I doubt the quality of modern guns - there are some great ones being made now...I just like guns with some kind of historical significance. Weathered and worn but functional guns are much more attractive to me than shiny polished new ones that you're afraid to put down on a concrete bench in case they get scratched. Although target shooting is the only kind of shooting I do, I'm much more interested in seeing how well I can shoot with an obsolete stock service weapon than with ultra modern, high tech target yoke. Not that there is any less art to that - it's just a different kind of challenge I suppose. I don't bother with scopes or red dots or anything like that either for basically the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

Sika98k wrote: »
    Mannlicher Schonauer 1903 model rebarreled in 308

Mauser of 1930,s vintage in original 6.5x55 calibre

Both still doing the biz !

That's a nice looking Mauser Sika , any markings as to manufacturer ,serial number and are the scopes original to each . If so can you tell us what make they are or upload more detailed picture's , thanks . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    That's a nice looking Mauser Sika , any markings as to manufacturer ,serial number and are the scopes original to each . If so can you tell us what make they are or upload more detailed picture's , thanks . :)

Not too sure about the manufacturer. It is,I think a civilian action,not a reworked military action, no locking screws on the magazine box/triggerguard,matching s/no,s all round. The bolt glides into the receiver unlike the good push a military one needs.

It wore an old Nickel scope originally.However optics have improved greatly and I couldnt live with it. It currently wears a Zeiss Diatal 6x42 with a rail.But I bought an old Kahles 39S2 and sent it to Kahles for refurbishment.

Major problem is,like a lot of old original Continental weapons,it has einhak mounts:eek::eek:. The original einhak mounts had rings opened only at the top so they have to be prised open. I,m just hoping they can take the strain of being opened 1 more time to fit the Kahles.

then if successful I have to zero it.The old scopes do not have selfcentreing reticles.That came in in the 1960,s I think. So to have the reitcle centered means a bit of adjustment side to side with the front baseplate.

In the Fatherland you just drop it on your gunsmiths lap and give your credit card a pasting ! Not really an option here.

The Mannlicher thankfully has 1 inch rings in einhak mounts so life is a little easier. I bought it for driven boar and moosehunting,light,short barrel and in 308 so more thump for the piggies and I confess drop dead gorgeous to my mind. Not good reason for acquiring :D but I pointed out to my FO that he couldnt expect me to break the law abroad where the minium calibre for boar was 30.

It currently wears a Leupold 1x4-20. Not a period scope I admit but hopefully I can get a Zeiss Diavari 1,5x6-36 or similar on www.egun.de sometime.

Anyone for a driven boarhunt in Hungary in January? Look here www.nagyvadhunting.hu or PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

Sika98k wrote: »
    Not too sure about the manufacturer. It is,I think a civilian action,not a reworked military action, no locking screws on the magazine box/triggerguard,matching s/no,s all round. The bolt glides into the receiver unlike the good push a military one needs.

It wore an old Nickel scope originally.However optics have improved greatly and I couldnt live with it. It currently wears a Zeiss Diatal 6x42 with a rail.But I bought an old Kahles 39S2 and sent it to Kahles for refurbishment.

Major problem is,like a lot of old original Continental weapons,it has einhak mounts:eek::eek:. The original einhak mounts had rings opened only at the top so they have to be prised open. I,m just hoping they can take the strain of being opened 1 more time to fit the Kahles.

then if successful I have to zero it.The old scopes do not have selfcentreing reticles.That came in in the 1960,s I think. So to have the reitcle centered means a bit of adjustment side to side with the front baseplate.

In the Fatherland you just drop it on your gunsmiths lap and give your credit card a pasting ! Not really an option here.

The Mannlicher thankfully has 1 inch rings in einhak mounts so life is a little easier. I bought it for driven boar and moosehunting,light,short barrel and in 308 so more thump for the piggies and I confess drop dead gorgeous to my mind. Not good reason for acquiring :D but I pointed out to my FO that he couldnt expect me to break the law abroad where the minium calibre for boar was 30.

It currently wears a Leupold 1x4-20. Not a period scope I admit but hopefully I can get a Zeiss Diavari 1,5x6-36 or similar on www.egun.de sometime.

Anyone for a driven boarhunt in Hungary in January? Look here www.nagyvadhunting.hu or PM me if interested.

Thanks for the quick reply Sika , from the little information you gave me I think you might have two fairly valuable rifles particularly the Mauser . It may be pre World Two production . If you ever strip them down you should note and take picture of any markings on them also the serial numbers would help to determine age and model . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I have to admit that I'm more attracted to classic style firearms as well. Not a great fan of black plastic and cammo paint on guns, not that there's anything wrong with it but I just don't fancy it. I like side by side shotguns and a rifle to have a solid wooden stock and a steel magazine.

Advertisement