Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of fire extinguisher should I get?

Options
  • 08-10-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I want to get an extinguisher for computer equipment in a room and am wondering what type people here would recommend? I have four computers running hot 24/7 in a room - there is other stuff in the room aswell like wooden shelves and also some applicances like washing machine and clothes hanger. Clothes are using the heat to be dryed also. :pac:
    Everything is at least a meter away from the racked computers though.

Btw would it be expensive to implement a DIY FM200 solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Co2 is safe on electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PCrepairman.ie

euser1984 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I want to get an extinguisher for computer equipment in a room and am wondering what type people here would recommend? I have four computers running hot 24/7 in a room - there is other stuff in the room aswell like wooden shelves and also some applicances like washing machine and clothes hanger. Clothes are using the heat to be dryed also. :pac:

C02 is the best option, water or foam are likely to damage you and your equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

euser1984 wrote: »
    Hello,

Regardless of the fire extinguisher issue - if a fire started, how easy would it be to kill the electrical supply to those servers? Ideally you would have a dedicated circuit from your distribution board, with a nice, easy to access switch so you could turn the power off in a hurry.

Also, with all those clothes drying nearby you could be accumulating a lot of fluff inside the servers - worth checking now and then to avoid overheating issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dry power is also good (blue) , messy to clean up afterwards as there is talc everywhere , but less chance of asphyxiating than with a CO2 (black) one

lidl/aldi do them for a tenner - €25 depending on the size

you can't use water (red) on electricity

if you've ever see a tiny little cfc (green - now banned) extinguisher on an oil fire , it's impressive, but very dangerous to use in confined spaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I would go with Co2 because I would assume you would not be leaving the door closed when using it.

Our data center providers' fire supression system uses water but unless you have such an advanced system you dont want to be putting liquids on electrical devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Is the server equipment within a cabinet?

It's possible to get DSPA systems that deploy when the temperature rises above 150 degrees, and place it within a cabinet. Apparently there are similar systems for FM-200, but I've not seen them, nor do I know how non-standard the cabinet is required to be.

Is there not a high humidity level in that room that may shorten the life of your server equipment?

Advertisement