Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Business in Japan- Traditions/Culture/Do's/Don'ts/

Options
  • 08-10-2011 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I know little about Japanese culture so would be interested in knowing more about the traditions of doing business in a Japanese cultural setting.

Do's/Don'ts/Questions/Queries etc could go on this thread?

I'll start with a couple of questions....

Are formalities such as introducing yourself with your full name followed by your company name & title strictly observed to illustrate position within the company and thus hierarchy?

Is the business card exchange "significant" these days with e-mail etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hey. I work in a school so it's not an office-business environment, but it is still very formal. All the teachers and people who visit the school are formal and polite, although some don't do the business card exchange, if they visit the school regularly, eg to sell canned coffee.

When answering the phone or meeting people who visit the school, the Japanese language they use is very formal and polite, from both sides. There is a lot of bowing, and saying "sumimasen" (sorry), and "yoroshiku onegai shimasu" (thank you for your cooperation/thanks in advance/looking forward to your help/many meanings wrapped into one phrase).

The business card (meishi) exchange is still important. I love it! It's such good Japanese culture. They all have cool metal cases with a part for your card and a part for the cards you get, and when it happens everybody jumps to their feet and into super-formal mode. It is good manners to observe the business card first, make a "thank you, this looks interesting/important" face, and then place it in the case or maybe keep it front of you. They don't just shove it in a pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thread moved to the Japan forum :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

just-joe wrote: »
    The business card (meishi) exchange is still important.
    Went to a Japanese culture sensitivity seminar awhile back, and in regard to the business card exchange, we were cautioned that a woman should not take a Japanese man's card and slip it in the suit pocket over her heart. Something about this signalling an intimate invitation to the man. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Black Swan wrote: »
    Went to a Japanese culture sensitivity seminar awhile back, and in regard to the business card exchange, we were cautioned that a woman should not take a Japanese man's card and slip it in the suit pocket over her heart. Something about this signalling an intimate invitation to the man. Is this true?

I think somebody is yanking your chain , Most Japanese business ladies suits do not have the kerchief pocket , and i have never seen a western lady in a business suit sporting one either .

In general, I'm sure that there are suits out there for ladies which have been modeled on the male style and would guess that they were custom made to order .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

shindig-jp wrote: »
    I think somebody is yanking your chain , Most Japanese business ladies suits do not have the kerchief pocket , and i have never seen a western lady in a business suit sporting one either .
    To clarify, at the seminar they were not exclusively referring to "kerchief pocket" that appears on the outside of the suit or blazer, but also breast pockets that may be inside the lapel over the heart. If the blouse underneath had a breast pocket, I would assume that the message would be the same, given the proximity to the woman's heart. Such suits are readily available off-the-rack in upscale London and New York department stores.

I cannot speak to current Japanese women's professional fashion, as I have not been in Tokyo in quite awhile. As to whether they were yanking my chain, this I do not know for certain, but it would be interesting to find out, hence the purpose of this Japan discussion forum.

• Advertisement

Black Swan wrote: »
    To clarify, at the seminar they were not exclusively referring to "kerchief pocket" that appears on the outside of the suit or blazer, but also breast pockets that may be inside the lapel over the heart. If the blouse underneath had a breast pocket, I would assume that the message would be the same, given the proximity to the woman's heart. Such suits are readily available off-the-rack in upscale London and New York department stores.

I cannot speak to current Japanese women's professional fashion, as I have not been in Tokyo in quite awhile. As to whether they were yanking my chain, this I do not know for certain, but it would be interesting to find out, hence the purpose of this Japan discussion forum.

It would be interesting to find it was a practice in a formal business situation, I could see it happening in a snack bar with the salary man wearing his tie around his head and offering his company card to a hostess .. She would of course be playing her part in reaping profits for her own drinks business . So yes it may be a friendly suggestive action done to keep the drinks flowing.

With the Bonenkai season coming shortly , I would expect to see a lot of old business cards placed in all the usual places . The new cards being treated with a renewed reverence and brainwashing loyalty to their company and the boss for the coming year.

Black Swan
    Just saw Emma McNamara a reporter on six 1 news wearing a "kerchief pocket" jacket on this evenings news .

Advertisement