Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic wilderness survival app

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Mech1 wrote: »
    Great little app for your iphone.
    Gives you something to read / learn in those spare moments and gives you basic info in your pocket at all times.:D

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/isurvive-wilderness/id305574482?mt=8

Does it also tell you how to stop your iphone battery draining every 4 hours!? Not many sockets in the wilderness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Well if your well prepared you might have one of these:D

http://www.beprepared.ie/index.php?cPath=287_298

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Mech1 wrote: »
    Well if your well prepared you might have one of these:D

http://www.beprepared.ie/index.php?cPath=287_298

I had the solar version, at least yours might warm you up as you freeze to death while charging the iphone.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Put your beer tokens to better use and buy the SAS Survival Handbook (Pocket Size) by John Wiseman ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Better still,read said book,practice its contents and store the info in the most wonderous computor we all have.Human brain Mk1;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Lofty Wiseman's book is brilliant indeed. From a basic introduction to skinning deer to splint making and how not to die of dehydration when floating about on a life raft in a salt water environment...it covers just about everything.

Ultimately what you need is water, food, heat and shelter how you go about it will depend on the environment you're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

the woman got me that book last yr for my birthday, she said its prob the only book id be likely to read! She was right. Great book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have to agree the SAS book is a good resource but as Grizzly suggests nothing beats practical knowledge and the rest are just resources. You need to get to know your local area and practice survival skills and then expand to other potential areas. Ireland is a fairly unique landscape and I have not seen any specific tools for Irish survival tips as most resources would be for the US or the UK. Ok we are closely related to the UK and you will get by using the books from the UK but you will miss so much.

These skills are very easily incorporated into your daily life, taking the kids on a nature ramble is a disguise for foraging for foodstuff like berries, herbs, fungi and roots. Going to the beach is really beach foraging and fire lighting to cook fresh crab, muscles and fish. Chicken for Sunday dinner? Why not start with a live chicken and do the prep work. Camping? Well that's where fun really begins :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

krissovo wrote: »
    I have to agree the SAS book is a good resource but as Grizzly suggests nothing beats practical knowledge and the rest are just resources. You need to get to know your local area and practice survival skills and then expand to other potential areas. Ireland is a fairly unique landscape and I have not seen any specific tools for Irish survival tips as most resources would be for the US or the UK. Ok we are closely related to the UK and you will get by using the books from the UK but you will miss so much.

These skills are very easily incorporated into your daily life, taking the kids on a nature ramble is a disguise for foraging for foodstuff like berries, herbs, fungi and roots. Going to the beach is really beach foraging and fire lighting to cook fresh crab, muscles and fish. Chicken for Sunday dinner? Why not start with a live chicken and do the prep work. Camping? Well that's where fun really begins :D

All of mine have seen animals killed and dressed for the table ( from backyard broilers to woodpigeon and deer ) I'm quite confident that they'd have a good go at it themselves if I let them.

They also love wandering into the local bog and go looking for berries for jam etc..

I wouldn't even call it survival skills, it's the noble art of scrounging, it's growing free and you can put it to good use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

I had the US Army survival manual on my android (before I wrecked it cry2-male-cry-tears-smiley-emoticon-000276-small.gif).

Big app but very interesting read and its free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement