Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there phones that allow WiFi only access?

Options
  • 08-10-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

I might consider one of these - if they are on the market.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

xperia 8 very affordable .Wifi or roaming net connections.I want a bigger screen though i'll wait til jan.Can be configured for both or either...i'm getting hit for9.99 per month and i use very little data as far as i understand it so i'm going to reconfig. data. .should i have any problems after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Cork wrote: »

I might consider one of these - if they are on the market.

Why wifi only? If it's to avoid data charges from you operator just turn off data on Thr phone or corrupt the data connection settings! All phones are capable of that? Is it for another reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I was thinkinking of avoiding data charges - are all phones capable of just being wi-fi only devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can't speak for all phones but if you want lots of function but no data charges then considering buying an iPod Touch or iPad (Wi-Fi only model), they can only communicate over Wi-Fi.

My HTC Desire (Android phone) can function as a Wi-Fi device if I switch it on without the SIMM in it so you'll probably find the same applies to most smartphones these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you tell us what phone you are using, I am sure someone will be able to tell you how to configure it so it doesn't use mobile data.

I have a Samsung Wave. I have 3G turned off by default, which saves on the battery quite a lot. I can turn it on if i need to use data. The applications that use an internet connection all have settings where you specify which connection profile they should use, i have set them all to use the WiFi profile, not the 3G one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can get your network to block it.

Its probably best to do that as almost all phones are set up to use mobile data when you rest them, or swap sims, account etc. The regulator should really insist its turned off by default.

I'm aware of it, and turn if off. But even then I find some applications seem to manage to turn it back on at times.

Advertisement