Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Period after birth

Options
  • 08-10-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the tight forum for this but coudnt think of anywhere else so....
    Just wondering when approximatley your period should return after gving birth? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

There's absolutely no way to predict that. It completely depends on whether or not you're breastfeeding, and how your body as a whole has recovered. I've heard of women who've started periods again a couple months after birth, and then others who haven't started for a year (or more if still b/feeding).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

On the first two it was within 12 weeks of giving birth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on how long that you breastfeed for,for me it was a month after I finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It depends on how long that you breastfeed for,for me it was a month after I finished.

A lot of people still get their period if they're breast feeding too so it's not an exact science... us women have it easy huh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    I started 6 weeks and 3 days after birth. I only breastfed for 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Oh didnt realise breas feeding made a difference. Well i didnt breastfeed at all, he wouldnt take to it. And he iis 4 months old now and still no sign of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I got mine like the start of a normal period. I've had 2 now and my son is 8 months; they went back to their normal regularity and thankfully I've had no pain whatsoever. No need for painkillers etc. As regards when it returns I think it's different for every woman but I've been told floradix multivitamin supplement can encourage it to come back. I thinks it's the iron that kicks start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Mine didn't come back until 4.5 months after the baby was born, but they've been back to normal since then. I only breastfed for a few days so don't think that would have had an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

mine was nearly a year after giving birth (I breastfed). Also, I used to get quite bad period pain at times but since having the baby I've had no pain with them at all, it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

Hi everyone, I was just wondering about my period. My little boy is 12 weeks old and I have gotten my period and I'm breastfeeding. What i'm wondering is when you got your period was it dark brown? I've had it for about 4 days now like this and I am a bit concerned. I had a section so I am just wanna see if this is normal or could it be anything to do with it not healing. Any light on this would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

i bled for the first 4 weeks then stopped for about 2days and got my period as normal when she was a month old and went back to normal straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My second lad was 16 months old when I got a period, I breastfed him until he was 15 months. I've a vague memory that my first lad was 8 months old, I'd breastfed him for 6 months, I'd have to check his red book.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hi everyone, I was just wondering about my period. My little boy is 12 weeks old and I have gotten my period and I'm breastfeeding. What i'm wondering is when you got your period was it dark brown? I've had it for about 4 days now like this and I am a bit concerned. I had a section so I am just wanna see if this is normal or could it be anything to do with it not healing. Any light on this would be greatly appreciated!

Please talk to your GP

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

Thanks for your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GirseachGranola

Thanks for your replies
    I breastfed for 3 months and it didn't come til she was nearly 7 months old it seems to be totally different for everyone! Enjoy not having it!!! Nothing worse than cramps when you've got restless nights and busy days!!

Advertisement