Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers in relation to shooting

Options
  • 08-10-2011 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Is it possible to shoot for a living, (not the army)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Not anymore in Ireland. AFAIK
    Read an article in a shooting magazine by an English wildlife ranger whose job was to shoot squirrels.... Prick. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Unless you are lucky to get a job as a rep for one of the gun manufacturers,and they have plenty of top names to choose from,you are on a hiding to nothing.
    Know one lad who is a top notch IPSC man [Micheal Shuetz] who is also one of the main HK reps in Europe,and gets to play with all of HKs new toys.Even he says it is a hard life with a major gun company sponsoring him like HK for his ammo and new toys.He somtimes has to 2nd job into armed VIP protection.
    Like modelling or formula 1 racing ,you are contionously fighting off newer and younger competition to hold what you have as well.Which in the shooting world,as it doesnt attract the huge advertisers lie formula 1 say,isnt much in the first place by comparison.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Gamekeeper is the only thing i can think of, i'd say its a tough life with not much free time or money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

rowa wrote: »
    Gamekeeper is the only thing i can think of, i'd say its a tough life with not much free time or money.
    don't bother with that ;) shooting is only a tiny part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Is it possible to shoot for a living, (not the army)?

UK or states is your best bet, as landkeeper said a gamekeeper is a tiny bit shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Guy I know had job shooting foxes to protect partridge, but it was FAS scheme with very little pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Guy I know had job shooting foxes to protect partridge, but it was FAS scheme with very little pay

is that 50e aweek lurky? where in the end you supposedly get a job:mad: seen a hair dresser advertised in it the other day. "Learn to cut hair,talk to people LOL" such a shame it wasnt being used right, would make a good tool for getting folks back to work.

sorry off topic, did they supply ammo for the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

they would bloody want to the Price of ammo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Commercial roo shooting in Australia, tough work though. Nights only.

http://www.aushunt.com.au/main/mainarticle2.php?articleid=e26bd86c45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Spunk84 wrote: »
    is that 50e aweek lurky? where in the end you supposedly get a job:mad: seen a hair dresser advertised in it the other day. "Learn to cut hair,talk to people LOL" such a shame it wasnt being used right, would make a good tool for getting folks back to work.

sorry off topic, did they supply ammo for the job?

Yes, but only the cheapo ammo. If you were semi retired would make a nice job, not to pay a mortguage.

Not sure was he affected by budget cuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Coillte employ a guy to control deer numbers. Couple of professional stalkers in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

There's several GB target shooters who are funded as professional athletes, those places are always going to be limited though.

None in Ireland though, where there isn't the same financial support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

demonloop wrote: »
    There's several GB target shooters who are funded as professional athletes, those places are always going to be limited though.

Nick flood was supported as a shooter by the government, i don't know if anyone is being supported now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Swamp People.
    30days of the year to hunt and shoot alligators with your .22 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

demonloop wrote: »
    Some are - the top ISSF shotgun shooters have earned carding grants from the ISC.
    However, since the very top grant the ISC give out is a fair bit less than the average industrial wage, calling it "support" is a very bad joke indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Swamp People.

maybe shelby is on boards.:eek: dat man is a few sandwhiches short of a picnic.did anyone see where he drove over his house:Dlol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Government suplort would only last as long as you were the best in the world, literally, which would not equate to a career

Plenty of people in IPSC have made.it their career, initially through sponsorship and then through merchandising, training, equipment sales but as it is a sport, your shooting career only lasts so long. I don't think anyone in Ireland has but there used to be a few iin the UK but they had to emigrate.in the 90's and take theit businesses elsewhere - plenty in continental Europe and the rest of the world.

I fon't think all the money is shooting in Ireland, in total could pay for full-time professionals -if it did they'd be torn apart by the people who were not good enough - but I coukd be wrong

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    Plenty of people in IPSC have made.it their career, initially through sponsorship and then through merchandising, training, equipment sales but as it is a sport, your shooting career only lasts so long.
    You would have to be Stateside to have a decent chance with that Bman.
    If a pro in Europe who works for Heckler&Koch,gets their sponsorship for his ammo and guns,and features on alot of their adverts,still has to moonlight as a firearms instructor or armed bodygaurd in Hamburg.What chance here in Ireland???:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Swamp People.
    tree breaker! Lol. Love that show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You would have to be Stateside to have a decent chance with that Bman.
    If a pro in Europe who works for Heckler&Koch,gets their sponsorship for his ammo and guns,and features on alot of their adverts,still has to moonlight as a firearms instructor or armed bodygaurd in Hamburg.What chance here in Ireland???:(

Well -your mate does that stuff by choice - as in it would appear to be his job - he works for H&K, rather than shoots for H&K - would that be correct?

His career choice would not be an option for someone living in Ireland.

I don't think he's sponsored by virtue of the fact he is a top IPSC competitor - he may well shoot IPSC - but that is not why he is sponsored.

I am assuming that - as he was not even competing in the recent IPSC World Shoot XVI.

Top IPSC Competitors - such as (for examples sake)

Eric Grauffel (France), Open & Overall Winner @ World Shoot XVI (for the fifth time)

Robert Vogel (USA) - Won Production @ World Shoot XVI

Ricardo Lopez (Equador) - Won Revolver Standard @ World Shoot XVI

BLAKE MIGUEZ (USA) - Won Standard @ World Shoot XVI

Zdenek Henes (Czech Republic) - Won Modified @ World Shoot XVI

are sponsored because they are top competitors.

B'Man

• Advertisement

[
    QUOTE=Bananaman;74871974]Well -your mate does that stuff by choice - as in it would appear to be his job - he works for H&K, rather than shoots for H&K - would that be correct?

Both.Works for and shoots for HK.Previously worked for Glock for appx 6years.

His career choice would not be an option for someone living in Ireland.

A Given!!!:rolleyes:;)

I don't think he's sponsored by virtue of the fact he is a top IPSC competitor - he may well shoot IPSC - but that is not why he is sponsored.

I am assuming that - as he was not even competing in the recent IPSC World Shoot XVI.

Taken from the IPSC website
    /www.worldshootbali.com/2comp-by-team.htm
    open division Bali 2008

GER: Oliver Damm, Gregory Midgley, Michael Schuetz, Maximilian Wiegand
    IRL: Hugh Daly, Bryan Mc Evilly, Andrew Pedlow, Paul Smith
    So I'm sure one of those lads met him..I'm 100% certain somone did as last time I met him in Hamburg ,he was wearing an IPSA team T shirt.:)

That was also the last time I met him in person,so I dont know where or what he is doing now.

This year

http://www.ipsc.org/results/matchResult.php?ref=D92860579

Germany 1. Dirk FREY (GER) Standard class
    2. Michael SCHÜTZ

Top IPSC Competitors - such as (for examples sake)

are sponsored because they are top competitors.
    Indeed they are Bman.However I doubt very much that they all walked into the sponsorship of CZ,etc by just dint of their names and good looks..:D.I bet everyone of them were doing some sort of other non gun related work and plugging the circut from their own pockets and paychecks,before anyone even considerd them a possibility.Obviously in the US of A you will get better sponsorship and press time as the market for shooting is so much bigger than Europe,so all I'm saying is even if you worked,or had a major arms company behind you here,it still mightnt be enough to make aliving solely from that.

Advertisement