Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling foolish

• 08-10-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Probably the most stupid question anyone has posted here. Decided i would use the anonymity of the internet.

I have always had a hybrid as I use to just commute to work. I bought a felt z100 and went on my first proper cycle today (70km). Very enjoyable but I know for a fact that my tyres were not inflated to the correct Psi (100 - 130). Went to the local service station to check them prior to going however the air valve would not fit the valve on the bike.

So am I being incredibly stupid (probably) or where/how do people ensure the correct pressure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

You can get a bike pump with a guage or a track pump (like the one in the pic). I got a track pump from halfords at €35.

450px-Bike_pump.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

You can also get an adaptor to screw onto your tube and it allows you to use the airline at a filling station. Be careful of overinflating if you do this. Handy in an emergency if garage is nearby and it fits in a saddle bag.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

dermiek wrote: »
    You can also get an adaptor to screw onto your tube and it allows you to use the airline at a filling station. Be careful of overinflating if you do this. Handy in an emergency if garage is nearby and it fits in a saddle bag.

Thanks. Feeling a little less foolish now. Had a quick look and can't find any such adaptor, any idea where I could get one? Would be handy to have in the saddlebag.

Will also get one of the pumps from halfords. It's an absolute must and will be popping down tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Two types of valves: presto or schraeder (spelt incorrectly) Im unsure which is which I just ask for the racing type when ordering tubes etc as pics above explain you need a track pump make sure it can pump up to 130 or above. Be aware hand pumps wont do the job. On the road you could buy co2 cannisters and give tubes a shot if you are repairing or replacing a tube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

Halfords is definitely a good bet for a track pump but most of the shops in town will have one too and most will offer something off the sticker price if pressed.
    You can find one of the presta-schrader adapters here (they're only $1.50 in the States though)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weldtite-Brass-Presta-Schrader-Adaptor/dp/B005H0NFBO
    It's small enough to tape to the bottom of your saddle if you need to :)
    There are a few small high pressure pumps (see Halfords again) but I've never used one so if you feel you need one make sure you get to try it out on one of their bikes first. No point in taking it home to try it.
    Good Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Cheaper presta valve adaptors here at €1.15 with postage included.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20339
    If you're buying a track pump can recommend the Topeak Joe Blow Sprint
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4950
    good solid pump although there may be cheaper options available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The adapters are nice handy bit of kit to carry around. If you have a hand pump with you and you puncture, it will get air into the tyre but won't make the higher pressures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The adapters are handy but you do have to be careful inflating ftom a. petrol station, using short bursts, as it is easier to put to much in and blow the tyre. Also ignore the gauge as it will not be accurate. Most Irish petrol station pumps will work for high pressure on a bike tyre but my experience in Continental Europe is that most there don't, for whatever reason, they will go only to 50-60 PSI or so and stop.

In any case this is only useful for getting back up to a decent pressure after a puncture on the road, you really need a track pump at home as without one you will be unable to gauge the correct pressure. 130 is certainly too high BTW, most people should not go over 110-115 and then only on the back. A bit more if you are heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

blorg wrote: »
    Most Irish petrol station pumps will work for high pressure
    I've never seen one go above 60psi here.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    The adapters are handy but you do have to be careful inflating ftom a. petrol station, using short bursts, as it is easier to put to much in and blow the tyre. Also ignore the gauge as it will not be accurate. Most Irish petrol station pumps will work for high pressure on a bike tyre but my experience in Continental Europe is that most there don't, for whatever reason, they will go only to 50-60 PSI or so and stop.

In any case this is only useful for getting back up to a decent pressure after a puncture on the road, you really need a track pump at home as without one you will be unable to gauge the correct pressure. 130 is certainly too high BTW, most people should not go over 110-115 and then only on the back. A bit more if you are heavy.

Thanks. In relation to the pressure the
    100-130 is The recommended min and max psi. I'm carrying a little "holiday weight currently and hitting 100kg so will prob go for about 120 on the rear tyre.

So main thing to take from it is I must get a track pump ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

I leave my tryres around 105psi. but my max is 115psi. Sure if it says your max psi is 130psi then all good. Sore.. but good

If you are starting to go out on long spins now, best to get yourself a saddle bag. Recommendations to what should be in them here

Good job on the long 70km cycle. especially with your tyres under inflated. Harder tyres will increase your speed but you will feel every little bump on the road.

I just got myself a decent track pump there. Had two of Lidls ones but wouldn't go pass 4 BAR for me after a few goes. So as most people pointed out. decent one for 30euro be money well spent.

A presta adapter would be alright to carry around in the saddle bad but i never got myself a puncture close to a garage pump.

pmcd22 wrote: »
    I leave my tryres around 105psi. but my max is 115psi. Sure if it says your max psi is 130psi then all good. Sore.. but good

If you are starting to go out on long spins now, best to get yourself a saddle bag. Recommendations to what should be in them here

Good job on the long 70km cycle. especially with your tyres under inflated. Harder tyres will increase your speed but you will feel every little bump on the road.

I just got myself a decent track pump there. Had two of Lidls ones but wouldn't go pass 4 BAR for me after a few goes. So as most people pointed out. decent one for 30euro be money well spent.

A presta adapter would be alright to carry around in the saddle bad but i never got myself a puncture close to a garage pump.

Yeah have a saddle bag with a spare tube, repair kit, tyre levers, Allen keys. Pump attached to bike. Must get my hands on some of those CO2 canisters people are mentioning.

Prob wouldn't risk pushing the psi too high as by the sounds of it nobody inflates that high and it's therefore not necessary and will be slightly more comfortable.

I certainly felt sore and tired the following day after the cycle. Averaged 24km an hour which I was happy enough with. I suppose that's what you get when you haven't been able to do any cardio for over 5 months. Looking forward to physicLly seeing progress speed/weight wise over the coming months.

Can see how people get addicted to it though. Very peaceful and while tiring it is also relaxing at the same time.

So got myself a track pump from chainreactioncycles and it seems to do the job.

I cpuldnt believe how low the pressure on my tyres were. Front was at approx 70psi and back were just about 80psi.

Goin out for another spin today and hopefully I can see the difference.

Do people think it makes a big difference or is it just a minimal difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You should go faster and have fewer punctures. Might be bumpier though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Turkish1 wrote: »
    I cpuldnt believe how low the pressure on my tyres were. Front was at approx 70psi and back were just about 80psi.
    Going out for another spin today and hopefully I can see the difference.
    Do people think it makes a big difference or is it just a minimal difference?
    My tyres were "hard". Then I bought a track pump. I found they were at 35 psi and I inflated them to 100 psi. My regular training spin took an average of 1h 55m. At the higher pressure first trip was 1h 40m but not as comfortable with more vibration.

Just back from my spin. Managed to go for 103km @ 26kph which I am happy with. Tyres must have helped, averaged over 2kpm faster than a shorter cycle last week. Not much different but it is something.

On another note, My god I don't think my arse will ever forgive me.

Advertisement