Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in the City/Suburbs

Options
  • 08-10-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

My apologies if a thread like this has been started a million times already. Myself and the missus only have our car a few months and so we're simply not savvy with all things driving related.
    We'd like to head into town tomorrow but don't know where is a good place to park. Is there any free parking in town these days or anywhere that's especially cheap?

We don't mind leaving the car some place and walking several kilometers if needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

We don't mind leaving the car some place and walking several kilometers if needs be.

No need! Just study the signage CAREFULLY, a lot of city roads are free to park on a Sunday from I THINK 11.00 to 13.00, a few Euro more should get you lots of time. If you are parking in the burbs be careful, you may need a residents permit, but again, the signage is usually very clear. DON'T leave anything visable in the car, not even an empty plastic bag, same as any city. Enjoy. (2011 WC Irish Rugby jerseys are half price in Elverys)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Vast majority of streets are free all day Sunday. Only notable exceptions I can think of are around Parnell Square and anywhere inside the Grafton Street/Merrion Street/Nassau Street/Stephen's Green boundary. Merrion Square itself is free if you're hitting the southside, otherwise North Great Georges Street is a favourite of mine 2 minutes from O'Connell Street.

For checking on-street signage before you go, Streetview is your friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Merrion Square area, Mount Street etc. is all free on weekends. 10/15 minutes walk to Stephen's Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

We usually park on Cook Street,just beside the Dublin City Council offices.Only a 10 minute walk to O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Remember when people say all street parking is free on Sudays, this still does not mean you can park on double yellows, singles yes but not doubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pay & Display: http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Pages/PayandDisplay.aspx

Map with fees: http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Documents/rt2851_07b_Parking_Zones_and_Tariffs%5B1%5D.pdf
    Marcusm wrote: »
    Remember when people say all street parking is free on Sudays, this still does not mean you can park on double yellows, singles yes but not doubles.
    No, the rule is check the signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Hi,

I'm going to the Aviva for the Cup final. Anyone know where I can get free parking?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

irish_man wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm going to the Aviva for the Cup final. Anyone know where I can get free parking?

Thanks

after 7pm, everywhere!
    just find somewhere close enough to suit, and you may only have to put an hours parking on it or less depending on what time you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

kceire wrote: »
    after 7pm, everywhere!
    Not true, you have to check the signage!

For example, North Great George's Street:
    d7ed567a2e56f2d6a2f67cf8c02d4523.png

snappieT wrote: »
    Not true, you have to check the signage!

For example, North Great George's Street:
    d7ed567a2e56f2d6a2f67cf8c02d4523.png

was aware of there, family shop is around the corner, but the OP specifically asked about the Aviva, so was concentrating my thoughts of that area, but you make a very valid point, check the signage just in case :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

kceire wrote: »
    was aware of there, family shop is around the corner, but the OP specifically asked about the Aviva, so was concentrating my thoughts of that area, but you make a very valid point, check the signage just in case :D

Much ofthe onstreet parking just outside the Lansdowne cordon (eg Barrow Street, South Lotts Road) is 7 am to midnight as well.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Much ofthe onstreet parking just outside the Lansdowne cordon (eg Barrow Street, South Lotts Road) is 7 am to midnight as well.

guess i didnt check the signage :o
    Parked on South Lotts Rd for a few hours last week while at the dogs!

Advertisement