Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forgotten steam password

Options
  • 08-10-2011 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hi I have forgotten my steam password and cant log in to send a request to support to reset it

have gone to the support page and clicked on the forgot password link but it says that they couldnt find that username or email.

any ideas on what to do next?

EDIT:found out you have to set up a seperate account for steam support.What a pain in the fukking hole

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It's a brutal system, and they take forever to get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

i gather that from a quick google

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Yeah Steam, Steam Support and the Steam Forum are all separate accounts. I assume it's so if your account is hijacked you can still use support.

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Yeah Steam, Steam Support and the Steam Forum are all separate accounts. I assume it's so if your account is hijacked you can still use support.

which kinda makes sense but still a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    EDIT:found out you have to set up a seperate account for steam support.What a pain in the fukking hole

I thought it was against their terms to have more than one account.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »

maybe but to contact support you have to have a steam support acount seperate to your main one that you d/l games to

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Lab_Mouse wrote: »

I'm on a phone right now so I don't want to go through the subscriber agreement on a tiny screen but I don't think that's true.

Anyway what he means is that the Steam Support account is a separate thing to the Steam account and having one does not grant the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

You can set up a secret question to enable automatic password reset. I think you only need your email to do this - not your username.

It only takes a couple of days to hear back from them otherwise. It's not bad. If you lose your details for services like facebook or gmail you just lose your account altogether. Other paid services like gambling websites appear to take longer to sort things out if you have lost your details. The turnover is fine imo, and standard automatic methods are in place. The alterative would be for them to hire more staff which would just mean increased prices probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kadongy wrote: »
    It only takes a couple of days to hear back from them otherwise.
    I'm still waiting for a reply from them since half life 2 came out. Their support is absolutely dire.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for a reply from them since half life 2 came out. Their support is absolutely dire.
    wow.
    I've lost my password a few times tbh :o they were always reasonably prompt to respond for me.

• Advertisement

I've contacted them a few times (never due to a lost password though) and they always responded within two days.

I lost my password (and couldn't access the email I signed up with) and went through the rigmarole of trying to prove I owned a copy of half life 2, including sending them pictures of the case with the key in the picture. I went through a while process and then at the end when I'd given them all the information they wanted they just stopped replying to my emails. I tried it twice more going through the whole process again but it was always the same towards the end they just stopped replying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I lost my password (and couldn't access the email I signed up with) and went through the rigmarole of trying to prove I owned a copy of half life 2, including sending them pictures of the case with the key in the picture. I went through a while process and then at the end when I'd given them all the information they wanted they just stopped replying to my emails. I tried it twice more going through the whole process again but it was always the same towards the end they just stopped replying.

Same as, it was such a pain in the ass. After all that, I just pirated the game. Ended up getting a free copy from someone on boards (I won't forget ya, Naikon).

Sounds absurd. May I ask what the unprovided info was they wanted?

Kadongy wrote: »
    Sounds absurd. May I ask what the unprovided info was they wanted?
    I provided them with everything they asked for, when they got it all they stopped replying.
    Same as, it was such a pain in the ass. After all that, I just pirated the game. Ended up getting a free copy from someone on boards (I won't forget ya, Naikon).
    Pirating you say. I actually don't often pirate games as I just don't want the hassle but that's one game I should pirate, them bastards owe me, I should take that orange box set as interest too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I provided them with everything they asked for, when they got it all they stopped replying.

I provided them with all the info but in the end I think they said I had to gain access to the original email account I signed up with.

Advertisement