Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amiga 1200 Mod

• 08-10-2011 11:35pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone able to point me in the right direction for modding an aimiga to have one of those flash drives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Wow, never thought of modding my A1200. Might be an interesting idea when I have a bit more time.

Wow, never thought of modding my A1200. Might be an interesting idea when I have a bit more time.

Not much work involved really.
    Just plug the stuff in and it works :D

Highly recommend the hard disk upgrade and also the wifi card, you can also get a standard network card for it but the wifi is just really handy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Steve thats great thanks for the links, would i be right in thinking that once you have that hard disk installed its easier to play "backups" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

keithgeo wrote: »
    Steve thats great thanks for the links, would i be right in thinking that once you have that hard disk installed its easier to play "backups" ?

yup, but i don't think that you can play just any adf images created from your own disks or otherwise downloaded.

there are specific patched versions. A lot, but not all games out there are patched.

and by patched I don't mean games patched by cracking groups like Fairlight etc.

These are specfic patches needed to run from the CF Hard Disk.

If memory serves me right! I am open to correction!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

whdload is popular choice for playing games off HD,or get this*andrew has one i think?*-
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Amiga-1200-4000-4GB-Games-Hard-Disk-Drive-A1200-AGA-HDD-/200658035253?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2eb826a235

Seems odd at time for most games to not allow amiga users to install games on HD's when the pc market was as bad for piracy back then.

Yeah, WHDLoad is the way to go.

Steve that one you bought from here, http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883
    comes with whd on it already but im guessing you have to go off and get all the games yourself? the one on ebay seems to have them all on there already.

Steve that one you bought from here, http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883
    comes with whd on it already but im guessing you have to go off and get all the games yourself? the one on ebay seems to have them all on there already.

Yeah, the one on ebay is probably the handiest one.

Just grabbed one of those Amiga hard drives from Ebay, the one with the games etc installed on it. I got the Amiga 600 version as I already have the Amiga 1200 version I setup myself and I've decided to feck it and upgrade this new Amiga 600 anyway.

I've ordered a new kickstart chip from the states as this A600 is from the very first batch of them and does not support booting from the hdd or even have any pcmcia driver support.
    Only takes about 5 mins to get the new chip installed so it will be quick and painless.

Did you go for hard disk on ebay in the end Keith?

• Advertisement

Not yet, im prob going to go for that one alright, as ive had enough of setting stuff up for while after hyperspin! I ended up browsing ebay after looking at that and bought a few NES games so it will have to wait a week or two now!

Not yet, im prob going to go for that one alright, as ive had enough of setting stuff up for while after hyperspin! I ended up browsing ebay after looking at that and bought a few NES games so it will have to wait a week or two now!

Well I'll let you know how I get on with my one when it arrives.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

whdload is popular choice for playing games off HD,or get this*andrew has one i think?*-
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Amiga-1200-4000-4GB-Games-Hard-Disk-Drive-A1200-AGA-HDD-/200658035253?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2eb826a235

Seems odd at time for most games to not allow amiga users to install games on HD's when the pc market was as bad for piracy back then.

Yup that's the chap I got it from, worth every penny and simple to install - only way to go if you have a 1200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lorfarius

NES games? You need to get yourself over to here:

http://www.nes-bit.com/

There's a few good Amiga 1200 upgrade guides on Youtube. Have a look at a channel by a chap called Retrosofer. I followed a couple of his vids last year when I upgraded mine.

Nice site ill check it. ive a couple of guides up myself on my site, replace 72pin, region free nes etc. in fairness i originally learned how to do them following the guides on here. i wont post a link to the site, cause you get in trouble for that sort of thing! but the link is in my signature..

That 4GB CF Card IDE drive for the Amiga 600 arrived today(the one with all the software on it ready to go).

Seems to be the same type I have on of my Amiga 1200's so its a decent one. Don't think it will work in my A600 just yet as I'm still waiting on the updated kickstart rom chip to arrive(need 37.300 up and i have 37.299).

Fairy fast delivery and everything is new and printed installation instructions are included.

CF hard disk and new kickstart chip installed and all working away.

Having some issues running a lot of the games/software included on the card so not sure if its the limitations of the Amiga 600(I only have these kinds of hard disks installed on Amiga 1200's and 4000's before this 600) or something else.

Working with the seller to see what the problem is.

But the hardware works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Steve SI wrote: »
    Having some issues running a lot of the games/software included on the card so not sure if its the limitations of the Amiga 600(I only have these kinds of hard disks installed on Amiga 1200's and 4000's before this 600) or something else.

Depending the games,A600 had different graphic chipset than of A1200/A4000,memory+kickstart factors can play a part too,small discussion on eab- http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=54648

Depending the games,A600 had different graphic chipset than of A1200/A4000,memory+kickstart factors can play a part too,small discussion on eab- http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=54648

Ah yeah. It's more a disk corruption or file system problem than a compatibility issue I think.

I've popped the drive into one of my 1200's and my 4000 and have the same issue.
    Tried running lots of them using RadLoad as well and still getting disk errors.

Advertisement