Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career advice

Options
  • 08-10-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if any experienced folks here could help me out with some advice please?

So, I'm extremely interested in working in IT but not sure what direction to follow next. I'm in my early thirties and a final year undergrad in Library & Information studies. I'm currently looking at doing a 15 month MSc conversion course in Computer Science (this one) starting Sept 2012. In the meantime I'm hoping to complete the CompTIA A+ and (hopefully!) Network+ exams by studying at home and using these as a foundation? - is this a good place to start with my plans?

I've years of computing experience (software end-user and typical hardware experience from home PC buidling/repairs and work etc), however I have no experience in programming / web design. As mentioned, I'm in my early thirties, is it too late in the day so to speak to be attempting to get into an area like IT? (it is something I really want to do tho...) If I do take the MSc route I've been thinking very strongly about the 12 month U.S. graduate working visa - how hard do you think it would be to secure work or an internship over there after graduating from the MSc but with no work experience in said area? Has anyone here worked in IT over there by way of the 12 mth visa?

Lastly, what advice would you give someone in my postion in terms of courses, websites offering insights into job roles, books I could be reading in advance, recruiters, options abroad etc? Also, which would be more useful to me in the MSc course: a windows laptop or a Mac? What software would I also need? If anyone has any advice relevant to my predicament I'd be extremely gratefull!!

Thanks in advance folks :D

J

Advertisement