Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galtee track?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

hey anyone know what the track from the black road car park is like... is it paramount to have a map or would the track do lik want to go up galteemore is all and i dont wanna buy a map on sunday morning :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

The paths on Galtymore and Galtybeg are well defined at the start, but tend to fade out near the top as the ground levels out and people find their own way over the last few hundred metres.

In fog or darkness you could get lost easily enough, and there are some serious cliffs and gullies over the loughs to the north of the summit ridge.

With the changeable weather I wouldn't go up there at this time of year without a map to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

cheers for the reply, guess I'll pick one up in the morning so :) appreciate the reply!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

South Eastern Mountain Rescue Association
    Update: At 14:45 today the team was contacted to search for a missing person in the Galtee mtns. Full team called out. At 18:00 hrs the team was stood down after another successful search. All involved down off the mountain safe & sound.

I hope this wasn't you:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Its grand, remember doing it once but was told to go own the wrong track, met a police man that gave me wrong directions seemed quite random at the time but its a great story now.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Hi. Just wondering if that Black Road is the road just outside Sheheenarinky? Going climbing on Saturday so looking for the best starting point. Would I get away with wearing runners or is that just silly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Kevcol wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering if that Black Road is the road just outside Sheheenarinky? Going climbing on Saturday so looking for the best starting point. Would I get away with wearing runners or is that just silly??

The Black Road is at a crossroads on the old N8, marked by a derelict 2 storey house at the crossroads, just up the road from Skeheenarinky. It is signposted 'Galtymore Climb'.
    I climb the Galtees regularly. Have been up there 4 times in the last 3 weeks and I can tell you that they are extremely wet and boggy. Runners will be ok on the track from Black Road until you reach the stone cairn at the foot of Galtybeg. The track then fades away and you make your own way towards Galtymore, crossing boggy mounds on the col between Galtybeg and Galtymore. You will get destroyed wearing runners around this area, not to mention you will want good grip going up Galtymore.

I have uploaded gps tracks of various walks ive done on everytrail.com, this one http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=466798 is the straightforward Galtymore walk from Black Road.
    You could print this out to help you, but id still recommend a map in this weather. Lat 4 times I was up there, its been cloudy and cold above 750m.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

burly wrote: »
    The Black Road is at a crossroads on the old N8, marked by a derelict 2 storey house at the crossroads, just up the road from Skeheenarinky. It is signposted 'Galtymore Climb'.
    I climb the Galtees regularly. Have been up there 4 times in the last 3 weeks and I can tell you that they are extremely wet and boggy. Runners will be ok on the track from Black Road until you reach the stone cairn at the foot of Galtybeg. The track then fades away and you make your own way towards Galtymore, crossing boggy mounds on the col between Galtybeg and Galtymore. You will get destroyed wearing runners around this area, not to mention you will want good grip going up Galtymore.

I have uploaded gps tracks of various walks ive done on everytrail.com, this one http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=466798 is the straightforward Galtymore walk from Black Road.
    You could print this out to help you, but id still recommend a map in this weather. Lat 4 times I was up there, its been cloudy and cold above 750m.

That's great burly, thanks for the advice. I'll have to invest in a pair of boots. Hopefully going to do a nice bit of hiking over the summer. This weekend is supposed to be relatively nice anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was up there today as it happens, did a circuit from the car park marked as Clydagh Bridge on the OS map, headed towards Lough Curra, then up the ridge to Slievecushnabinnia, then Galtymore, Galtybeg and dropped down of the end of Galtybeg down to the edge of Borheen Lough and then contoured around above the lough to the base of Cush and then over Cush back to the car park. 14.5km and 1150m of climb, in glorious weather, carefully avoiding some nasty looking rain showers down in the valley.

GPX file attached (rename to get rid of the .txt extension as boards doesn't seem to like GPX files)

Advertisement