Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doom is the best FPS ever

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bioshock: Infinite looks absolutely fascinating. That's my great hope.

Cue inevitable 'it's clearly going to be dumbed down from System Shock 2' whinging :p

From Retr0!

Me, I'm waiting for Mirrors Edge 2.....
    oh bugger......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cork_buoy

Team Fortress 2 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bioshock: Infinite looks absolutely fascinating. That's my great hope.

Cue inevitable 'it's clearly going to be dumbed down from System Shock 2' whinging :p

While Bioshock was a dumbed down System Shock 2 (but a damn good one) Infinite looks like it will be something different. Can't wait for it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭da gamer

doom is definately one of the classics, and was probably the game that made fps what they are today (even though wolfenstein was released before it) however there are a few games which i feel rank up there with doom. final doom for one was a great game and every bit as good as doom. goldeneye is the only game that i feel may have been better than doom. quake, while not as good as doom, was revolutionary in its own way and introduced us to online gaming with games which are still popular today such as capture the flag. duke nukem 3d ranks up there for me also as those half life and return to castle wolfenstein. other fps which i have enjoyed in the past would be:

defcon 5
    red faction (the original)
    exhumed
    medal of honor 1
    life force tenka
    red neck rampage
    x111
    hexen
    turok 64
    black
    the darkness
    prey
    alien resurrection
    perfect dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

hehe, excellent!
    When I said "stomping" I meant it!!
    Must be the guts of 16 or 17 years.. time flies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Turok: Rage Wars FTW.

Best control scheme of any of the N64 FPS games and you could be a dinosaur!

Also, it had the Cerebral Bore which is still the greatest gun in any FPS game ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Goldeneye N64 :D

Was it possible to change Goldeneye's control scheme to the same one Turok: Rage Wars used?

C buttons for walking back and forth and strafing left and right, with the analog stick for looking around/aiming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Timesplitters 2 would be my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

zero19 wrote: »
    Timesplitters 2 would be my choice.

That's just evil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was it possible to change Goldeneye's control scheme to the same one Turok: Rage Wars used?

C buttons for walking back and forth and strafing left and right, with the analog stick for looking around/aiming?

Pretty sure there was an option but the slower movement meant that it didn't work as well.

Turok 2 used a similar system to Rage Wars but I find it very hard to get used to since the N64 stick is pretty god awful for precision aiming.

I've played a bit of Turok 1 and 2 recently and they hold up far better than Goldeneye. I had fun with them which is more than can be said for goldeneye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think my copies of Turok 1&2 must be broken so. Every level is like walking through a thick fog.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think my copies of Turok 1&2 must be broken so. Every level is like walking through a thick fog.

'N64 fog' is part of the consoles charm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Fck it, I don't care about COD or Halo or whatever FPS is meant to be great. Doom rocks for a few reasons.

1. Demons
    2. OTT weapons
    3. Large numbers of enemies
    4. A kick ass soundtrack

The style and delivery of the game are unsurpassed. I say this from a position of complete nostalgia and subjectivity, however if a game is good I'll be the first to say it, regardless of whether its old or new but no fps game except for Quake (which didn't quite reach the awesome level of doom because it was mostly brown and gloomy with a soundtrack that while good wasn't as ass kicking), has reached the heights of Doom. Doom didn't involve aliens, wasn't a boring war based fps or attempted to imitate reality, it was just a badass game with demons, space marines, demonic landscapes, armies of hellish minions, a vast array of ridiculous weapons and futuristic architecture coupled with heavy metal. I don't see many games threading in its footsteps.

I think sometimes it's not who does it first but who is the first to do it best, and for me Quake was that game.

Still love Doom as well though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I remember the PR around that "it was atmospheric" and then you could get the extra RAM to improve things.

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    I think sometimes it's not who does it first but who is the first to do it best, and for me Quake was that game.

Still love Doom as well though.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I remember the PR around that "it was atmospheric" and then you could get the extra RAM to improve things.

The RAM pak just gave you higher resolution with worse slowdown. Still looked very nice for the N64, in high res it's one of the nicest looking games on the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

I can remember playing Doom v1.66 as a mechanism for testing newly installed networks in offices. I explained to my managers how this tests (and had to prove it) the network - 3 or four of us would play for up to 2 hours to ensure everything was ok :D

This version passed all the information from one PC to all PC's playing - creating loads of network traffic. Future versions only passed necessary information.

On one occassion I was able to get a guy in Italy and myself playing across a 128k link by extending the network - today we wouldn't think this was remarkable - 16 years ago or there abouts.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    'N64 fog' is part of the consoles charm :)

It's about as charming as the N64 anti aliasing blur.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

For the same effect with modern games, no need to invest in Scan Line Generators or the like, just jab a teaspoon of petroleum jelly into each eye and try to play COD4, then you'll get the true feeling of N64 gaming at it's best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

If you still have it on the ps1, look up code for the hidden "club doom" level.

It was set in a nightclub and had a stomping german hardcore soundtrack.

Pretty sure that level was in Final Doom, if memory serves me correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

deathrider wrote: »

You could be right there..

I have Doom on the Snes, very impressive as is the GBA edition, the fact they squeezed it on there although I must confess, on that smaller screen, I prefer my copy of Wolfenstein on the GBA.
    Looks especially nice on my ags-101! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Fog = Graphics on N64:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I was playing it yesterday in regular psx doom

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Ah, my mistake so.

I had fun with them which is more than can be said for goldeneye.[/Quote]

You didnt have fun with goldeneye!!?

Single player really isn't that much fun.

Single player really isn't that much fun.

What! Everyone has different tastes i suppose!

I think it's more that some people can't accept that it's aged badly. It's not what it used to be.

• Advertisement

I think it's more that some people can't accept that it's aged badly. It's not what it used to be.

In what way do you think it has aged badly retrogamer?

Don't want to get into a goldeneye rant but I wrote about it when I finished it recently:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/08/goldeneye-n64.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

barrmur wrote: »
    Anyone remember Serious Sam? OK not a classic for everyone but for pure mayhem and mad amount of weapons and enemies it has to also get a mention.

The giant cannon with that comical ten pin bowling skittle sound :)

I remember the club doom level too.

My favourite doom was the N64. Great memories of all nighters playing it around 99.

Don't want to get into a goldeneye rant but I wrote about it when I finished it recently:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/08/goldeneye-n64.html

Interesting read retro, however id disagree with a few of your views as im a big goldeneye fan, but ill leave that for another thread! My game of the week perhaps, ha ha! As a matter of interest, do you think doom has aged badly?

Graphically yes. Gameplay definitely not, at least on the PC with keyboard and mouse. It's fast paced and smooth with lots of stuff going on and the level design still holds up. Can go back to playing it any time on the PC and still have a blast. There's no other FPS as fast paced as Doom or Doom 2.

Graphically yes. Gameplay definitely not, at least on the PC with keyboard and mouse. It's fast paced and smooth with lots of stuff going on and the level design still holds up. Can go back to playing it any time on the PC and still have a blast. There's no other FPS as fast paced as Doom or Doom 2.

Played duke nukem again recently and thats still.as faced paced as ever

Nowhere near as fast paced as Doom though. Doom is blisteringly face when played properly. Also Duke Nukem is a very differrent game were enemies can cause a huge amount of damage if you aren't careful and there's very few on screen at the same time.

I'd say the original Quake is probably just as fast paced, if not faster than Doom.

Far better game too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Most modern FPS games are treacle slow compared to the 90's PC ones. And flat, there's a lot less z-axis play because it's a pain in the arse on a joypad (notable exception being Halo series to some extent, and I think that can be attributed to it starting on PC in the 90's).

You only have to compare TFC to Team Fortress 2 to see how things have gone downhill so quickly. Yes, TF2 has nice graphics but conc jumping Jesus Christ it's slow.

Quake is ridiculously fast. Particularly with the rocket jumping and bunny hopping. That games blisteringly fast in multiplayer compared to Doom.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Has anyone ever been involved in Half Life DM on a pro standard level? Or even the Half life AG mod? Proper Tau Cannon jumping and bunnyhopping with the long jump makes the game insanely fast. Watching a good player is a beautiful thing. I've never come across a more enjoyable FPS when played properly. It's like the FPS's Mirrors edge for fluidity.

I'd say the original Quake is probably just as fast paced, if not faster than Doom.

Far better game too.

Multiplayer I'd agree totally. Not in single player though.
    Has anyone ever been involved in Half Life DM on a pro standard level? Or even the Half life AG mod? Proper Tau Cannon jumping and bunnyhopping with the long jump makes the game insanely fast. Watching a good player is a beautiful thing. I've never come across a more enjoyable FPS when played properly. It's like the FPS's Mirrors edge for fluidity.

Afriend of mine used to have a 4 PC LAN in his house and we used to play the **** out of Half-Life DM and Starcraft. Fantastic DM game that sadly got killed off by Counterstrike. I really miss FPS games with crazy inventive weapons like Hlaf-Life. Games only need one machine gun, if you have to include two then make the second one a minigun.

Master of the Universe

The great thing about Counterstrike is it got rid of a lot of the childish idiots from HLDM.

The people who were truely interested stayed and played HLDM for years and years. I think most of them then moved on to the AG mod which was geared more towards competative 1v1 play.

I kind of lost interest at that point as I was still on 56k at that time and was getting mangled by everyone on broadband. Always meant to get back into it. Need to get me a desktop PC first though!

Rather interestingly, that game had a hand full of nuke bugs in the multiplayer maps. As the Tau cannon went through walls, at some points the 'fore' from it would really go mental and if you shot them at the right angle, or planted a mine and then taued it, it would literally fry anyone in close proximity.

I knew of one spot in Snark Pit that would kill anyone in about 1/3 of the map. That one almost felt like cheating..but it was still a lot of fun :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I used to play a lot of HLDM back in the day on a 33k modem. Got back into it about 5 years ago when I was a bit more experienced with FPS and got reasonably good at it. Learning to use the Tau to get about the map and working out routes to get back just in time for the Tau to respawn was great fun. I was good enough that I'd win a fair amount of rounds but there'd always been a couple of players would turn up every now and again that were so good you'd be lucky to frag them once or twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I have all the Doom wads with the PS1 sounds and soundtrack, love playing them. Plutonia and TNT are brilliant episodes. Also check out the Master Levels if you haven't done already.

What if it was Wolfenstein, except you played as Noah, of biblical fame and had to knockout goats instead of Nazi's. Would it still be as good as Wolfenstein?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

. Doom rocks for a few reasons.
    pdbhp wrote: »
    I likey Doom
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Doom was the dogs nuts
    I luvs Doom.
    The awesomeness of Doom

Best thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

One thing that I used to love/hate in the game was when you had cleared the level, killed pretty much all the baddies and you were running round corridors looking for a door or a key.

You would run up and down corrirors for hours completely lost (I know there was a map).

Opening doors closing doors round this corner in this anonymous corridor then around another corner in another corridor then, usually at 4am zapped out of it, you'd instantly be 'omfg' as you were face to face with something nasty. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It's just too good of a game to give a **** what you're shooting

Quote of the thread.

Doom is a bloody epic. The tone & 'attitude' of the game is just class.
    It set the bar.

While it shows its limits today, its stupid to deny its the grandfather of fps brilliance. Only Half Life had that same jaw drop factor for me. Given how old Doom is, & that fact that we're still talking about it...tells you everything you need to know.

Will there be a thread in 2031 that discusses if todays current fps' are ranked amongst the greats...I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Hello, my favourite colour is Teal. This means it is the BEST colour in existance - There are no exceptions...

That's pretty much the sad vibe I got off the guy rambling on about Metal being the bestest music ever in the whole wide world bar none... What are you like?

As for Doom, I fondly remember the first time I played it and being in total "WOW" facemode for a very long time - It really set the bar and is still one of if not the most referenced to game when you mention FPS. I can't argue what is/isn't the 'best' as we all have different tastes and bias, but I sure as hell wouldn't have too big a qualm if Doom was indeed officially numero uno - Wouldn't be suprised, either.

I remember on an old show of "Gamesmaster" (Yes, I adored that show on Channel 4 as a kid) where they played a late-night uncensored Halloween version equipped with swearing and sexually provocative tones and images... They slotted in a moment with Doom and a new mod (Alien Mod) that converted a lot of enemies and sound to that of "Aliens" (As in the movie) - And it looked bloody awesome.

So stick that in yer pipe and smoke it, guy rambling about Demons > Aliens etc

At the end of the day, who cares? If Doom HAD Aliens, or Animals, or Humans or any other type of enemy, I still doubt the popularity of the game would be all that lower, if at all. It's just too good of a game to give a **** what you're shooting.

I didn't care that it was Demons... All I cared was some big toothy masses of vicious bastards where trying to kill me... Sometimes kill eachother... And I had to blow my way through it all in fast paced mayhem.

And yes, there was nothing more hilarious than watching an Imp throw a fireball which happens to hit a Sergeant and the two would then proceed to ignore the player and duke it out themselves until one died.

But metal is the greatest genre on the planet when combined with doom. And demons pwn aliens on this basis. Furthermore, the xenomorphs aren't even that scary, the Thing is a more frightening alien but you couldn't put it in a game with the technology of that era. Hell the cenobites are scarier than the xenomorphs. Its self evident.

Morlar wrote: »
    One thing that I used to love/hate in the game was when you had cleared the level, killed pretty much all the baddies and you were running round corridors looking for a door or a key.

You would run up and down corrirors for hours completely lost (I know there was a map).

Opening doors closing doors round this corner in this anonymous corridor then around another corner in another corridor then, usually at 4am zapped out of it, you'd instantly be 'omfg' as you were face to face with something nasty. Brilliant.

Worse still, when you're doing exactly that, and again at 4am, half asleep, you spot the face on the bar at the bottom of the screen, and for a second think you're under attack by it. After the shock and instinctive pulling of the trigger to unload a few plasma rounds at it, you feel like quite the idiot... And never speak of it out loud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement