Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doom is the best FPS ever

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Best thread.

Can we all say "Narcissistic" children?
    Or, perhaps, "Solipsism"?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

Fck it, I don't care about COD or Halo or whatever FPS is meant to be great. Doom rocks for a few reasons.

1. Demons
    2. OTT weapons
    3. Large numbers of enemies
    4. A kick ass soundtrack

The style and delivery of the game are unsurpassed. I say this from a position of complete nostalgia and subjectivity, however if a game is good I'll be the first to say it, regardless of whether its old or new but no fps game except for Quake (which didn't quite reach the awesome level of doom because it was mostly brown and gloomy with a soundtrack that while good wasn't as ass kicking), has reached the heights of Doom. Doom didn't involve aliens, wasn't a boring war based fps or attempted to imitate reality, it was just a badass game with demons, space marines, demonic landscapes, armies of hellish minions, a vast array of ridiculous weapons and futuristic architecture coupled with heavy metal. I don't see many games threading in its footsteps.

Best game ever, Would love if they made a propper remake on Xbow 360 or PS3 If they would build in more to the DOOM story line and there would be a reason to find the secrets. Brilliant, never been betterd but could be remade to be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

marknine wrote: »
    Best game ever, Would love if they made a propper remake on Xbow 360 or PS3 If they would build in more to the DOOM story line and there would be a reason to find the secrets. Brilliant, never been betterd but could be remade to be better

Personally, I never really cared about Doom's story, and still don't. It was simply the fun of the game itself that caught me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Speaking of story, has anyone read the classic Doom books?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_novels

I read all 4 about 5 times over many moons ago. The first book was magnificent, they built a rocket to get back to Earth from a DIY Rocket kit while the air was slowly draining out of the base due to a crack in the hull or something like that. The last 2 books reveal that the demons are genetically engineered by aliens to enable for the easier conquest of humanity by terrifying them into submission. However these aliens are deconstructionists irc and the humans are aided by their enemies the hyper realists. Why is earth being invaded? Because the deconstructionists are afraid that humanity is evolving too fast. But then a new alien species appears on the scene, the newbies who evolve even faster than the humans. They evolve so quickly that they form a symbiotic relationship with the humans at the level of their DNA although humans with faith in something cannot be infected. Somehow the series ends with the two chief protagonists' souls being copied into a re-creation of the Phobos/Deimos bases, however because its a simulation they're able to manipulate the coding and win an imp and cacodemon over to their side. The book ends with two imps holding hands on the side of the good guys after a fierce battle and the hero Flynn Taggart, also known as Doom Guy yelling Sempre Fi Mac!

RopeDrink wrote: »
    The game itself was never scary - It wouldn't have been no matter what the enemies were. Don't get me wrong, it was tense as hell and seriously fast-paced keeping you on the edge but scary? Naw.

The last thing I'll ever remember about Doom is the music - The only time in a game where I enjoyed Midi music was FFVII. It could have been country and western in Doom for all I cared, I loved it for the gameplay, premise etc

The music, well, forgettable for me. Music will always fall under individual / personal preference so calling anything 'the best' genre in such a discussion is pretty null and void.

We must have played two very different games then because I still have nightmares of shooting demons and zombies.

Yes but metal is the best, I listen only to metal because thats the only genre of music I enjoy so its the best.

On a side note a remake of Doom was mentioned, I think this would be a great idea, they should stay faithful to the original instead of going for survival horror or extended cut scenes. They should make an extremely fast paced game with legions of demons and messed up satanic level designs (eg levels in the shape of pentagrams) in addition to some plot ques so you could in theory make up your own plot as you go along. Furthermore they should get all the licences to the songs they ripped off or alternatively just come up with an original kick ass soundtrack but one which most importantly isn't trendy. For example the new Duke Nukem had the updated version of Megadeths original song but they detuned the guitars probably to sound modern and it sucked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes but metal is the best, I listen only to metal because thats the only genre of music I enjoy so its the best.

Do you have a newsletter? I wish to subscribe to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_novels

I read all 4 about 5 times over many moons ago. The first book was magnificent, they built a rocket to get back to Earth from a DIY Rocket kit while the air was slowly draining out of the base due to a crack in the hull or something like that. The last 2 books reveal that the demons are genetically engineered by aliens to enable for the easier conquest of humanity by terrifying them into submission. However these aliens are deconstructionists irc and the humans are aided by their enemies the hyper realists. Why is earth being invaded? Because the deconstructionists are afraid that humanity is evolving too fast. But then a new alien species appears on the scene, the newbies who evolve even faster than the humans. They evolve so quickly that they form a symbiotic relationship with the humans at the level of their DNA although humans with faith in something cannot be infected. Somehow the series ends with the two chief protagonists' souls being copied into a re-creation of the Phobos/Deimos bases, however because its a simulation they're able to manipulate the coding and win an imp and cacodemon over to their side. The book ends with two imps holding hands on the side of the good guys after a fierce battle and the hero Flynn Taggart, also known as Doom Guy yelling Sempre Fi Mac!

Good lord, they managed to spin all this from the narrative-free zone that is Doom? Whoever said something can't be created from nothing! Even Stanley Kubrick would have balked at filiming something as tedious as that.

I miss the simplicity of the Doom days. Maybe it's just nostalgia for times gone by but for me Doom conjures up memories of hacking an old Windows 95 machine to pieces just to get it working, and then realising that DOS was the best way to run it all along! Many's a trick I learned on the PC trying to get the old games working, maybe it's why I work at what I do today.

Anyways, what sums up Doom for me is that the game just contained toxic-wate-filled-barrel loads of attitude. This was a real man's game that would chew you up and spit you out. If the demonic artwork didn't let you know what you were in for then the names of the episodes certainly did (knee deep in the dead anyone?). The gameplay was fast and pure, stand still and you would be ripped to pieces within milliseconds. Soundtrack was as good it got back in the MIDI days!

Nevermind all this nonsense of grenades, 2-weapon systems, regenerating health, shotguns that don't kill targets 100-feet in the distance, protagonists with glasses and degrees in theoretical physics, give me one doomed space marine any day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What a load of sh1te!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You've got to chuckle at the hypocrisy of someone who calls Doom great for having no story and then goes on to exalt the virtues of Doom novels (even having not heard of them until this thread, I feel confident assuming they're are a load of rubbish). They won't be getting added to my amazon basket, I can guarantee you that.

Then again, this is a fellow who frequently pops up in films calling Your Highness the cinematic triumph of the millennium!

Can say I've ever read any Doom novels. I have, however, read the infamous Doom Comic... And what a complete head-trip that was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People who read the doom novels are almost as bad as the people who have read and actually like the god awful Halo novels.

You've got to chuckle at the hypocrisy of someone who calls Doom great for having no story and then goes on to exalt the virtues of Doom novels (even having not heard of them until this thread, I feel confident assuming they're are a load of rubbish). They won't be getting added to my amazon basket, I can guarantee you that.

Then again, this is a fellow who frequently pops up in films calling Your Highness the cinematic triumph of the millennium!

What!? I play a game for gameplay and read a book for reading. When I play a game and I get 2 hours of exposition and character development I look back to Doom and think that was a real man's game with none of this emotional crap, and beside the stories in games are still sh1t, cliched and whatnot, ME is a big pile of derivative sh1t plot wise, yawn another epic future of the evolution of the galaxy narrative blah. They forgot that its a game, so Doom was ahead of its time in terms of story telling because it was co-authorial, it was an interactive story insofar as the player got to invent it based on the visual cues of the game. Now yes I acknowledge that the game was actually about getting revenge on demons who had killed the marine's pet bunny (I wonder was Con Air inspired by this), but the story was so incidental that there was enough room in there from playing all the levels to build up your own universe. And version I played back in the day, the 32x version didn't even have that plot, the story was thus, demons have invaded mars, go forth and kill.

Off topic but what the hell: I stand by my comments that Your Highness is a masterpiece which is misunderstood in these strait jacketed times where people can't admit to fun! The entire audience at the theatre were in hysterics where I was at and there were similar reports on the internet elsewhere but no one admits that they like it. I just saw Reel Steel and it was a crap film but it had the exact same plot as The Warrior but everyone says oh The Warrior is a good film, but really is it? Because it has the exact same underdog beats all the odds to defeat the world champion plot line which made no sense! And Reel Steel didn't make any sense either!
    Anyways, what sums up Doom for me is that the game just contained toxic-wate-filled-barrel loads of attitude. This was a real man's game that would chew you up and spit you out. If the demonic artwork didn't let you know what you were in for then the names of the episodes certainly did (knee deep in the dead anyone?). The gameplay was fast and pure, stand still and you would be ripped to pieces within milliseconds. Soundtrack was as good it got back in the MIDI days!

Nevermind all this nonsense of grenades, 2-weapon systems, regenerating health, shotguns that don't kill targets 100-feet in the distance, protagonists with glasses and degrees in theoretical physics, give me one doomed space marine any day.

+100, yes Doom was the real deal. None of this hipster emo bullsh1t concerning plot, character development or appealing to focus groups, just pure gamplay and bad ass attitude. John Carmack and John Romero were on the team and they are both uber geniuses. Carmack actually builds home made space rockets as a hobby, this is another reason why Doom was and is incredible, because essentially you had two completely out of the box type genii working on it.

I have to check out the Doom comics. Don't bash the Doom books until you've tried them, they're really quite deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have to check out the Doom comics. Don't bash the Doom books until you've tried them, they're really quite deep.

As they went out, behold, they brought to him a dumb man possessed with a demon. And when the demon was cast out, the dumb spake: and the multitudes marvelled, saying, It was never so seen on earth.

And the space marine smote him with his chainsaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

two completely out of the box type genii working on it.

I prefer lexi, myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be sticking to Great Expectations for my literature I think.

I'm not dissing them, as I've never read them (I'm not a reader). Just metioning that the Doom Comic (I think there's only one of them) is well worth reading, because it's simply off the feckin' wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TheChief36

It's definitely aged the best of a lot of the games mentioned. It looks retro beautiful not ropey and tired.

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm not dissing them, as I've never read them (I'm not a reader). Just metioning that the Doom Comic (I think there's only one of them) is well worth reading, because it's simply off the feckin' wall!

Oh don't worry, I wasn't referring to you, just all the hipsters on this thread

• Advertisement

Hmm, I wonder if love of Doom books is because there is lots of opportunities to colour in the letters, draw in the book margins and write the names of heavy metal bands on the cover.

In no way could Doom be considered an interactive narrative, that's abload of arse, if you think that crap gods help you because your judgement is seriously flawed.
    In the words of Inigo Montoya
    "I don't think the word means what you think it means "
    Perhaps we'll club together and get you a dictionary....
    Maybe some taste while we're down at the shops! ;)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder if love of Doom books is because there is lots of opportunities to colour in the letters, draw in the book margins and write the names of heavy metal bands on the cover.

In no way could Doom be considered an interactive narrative, that's abload of arse, if you think that crap gods help you because your judgement is seriously flawed.
    In the words of Inigo Montoya
    "I don't think the word means what you think it means "
    Perhaps we'll club together and get you a dictionary....
    Maybe some taste while we're down at the shops! ;)

Do you think a series of books with opportunities to colour in the letters, draw in the book margins and write the names of heavy metal bands on the cover would have words like hyper realists and deconstructionists printed in its pages.:rolleyes:

I interacted with the narrative, I partook in its construction, ergo the game had an interactive narrative.

As for Inigo Whoever that's just a hipster quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Quoting lines from The Princess Bride is probably the least Hipster thing someone could do.

However, discussing how you 'interacted with the narrative' and 'partook in its construction' while using terms such as 'hyper realists' and 'deconstructionists'...in relation to something like Doom..well..go and look in a mirror. If you see something like this looking back at you, you should be worried -

hipster2.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    Quoting lines from The Princess Bride is probably the least Hipster thing someone could do.

However, discussing how you 'interacted with the narrative' and 'partook in its construction' while using terms such as 'hyper realists' and 'deconstructionists'...in relation to something like Doom..well..go and look in a mirror. If you see something like this looking back at you, you should be worried -

hipster2.jpg

Oh it was from Princess Bride, that's a classic film, in that case I retract my hipster slur. I thought it was Don Quixote.

In relation to hyper ****e and deconstructionist whatever, I was just pointing out that its a serious read. And yeah I describing fact about creating the Doom narrative.

Doom was game during a time when men were men. Can't a man express his love for a game without being hassled by the "you must qualify this with an in your opinion" pc brigade?

Didn't John Carmack say in relation to doom that the plot in games in like the plot in a porno, it's expected to be there but it's not important.

He probably did, he's right in that it doesn't really matter

• Advertisement

Man, you really like to contradict yourself...

Plot, no plot.

Make up your mind!

Me, I like Doom, just not quite that much.

Just like I like Galaga, but not as much as I love Ikaruga.

Games evolve, gameplay evolves, and it gets better, deeper.
    Now that is not to say there isn't something to cherish in the achievements of older titles, there are stone cold classics out there and that's why we are all here, in these forums.
    But sometimes you have to accept, especially in FPS of all genres, that the games have gotten steadily better with time.
    There will always be low points to be sure.
    For every Crysis 2 there is a Haze.
    Just as for every Doom there was an Extreme Paintbrawl!

Portal 2 and Metroid Prime are probably the best games I have ever played from a first person perspective, almost peerless the both of them, both confounding both expectations of gameplay and level design, even surprising fans of the previous games in the respective series.

Man, you really like to contradict yourself...

Plot, no plot.

Make up your mind!

Me, I like Doom, just not quite that much.

Just like I like Galaga, but not as much as I love Ikaruga.

Now that is not to say there isn't something to cherish in the achievements of older titles, there are stone cold classics out there and that's why we are all here, in these forums.
    But sometimes you have to accept, especially in FPS of all genres, that the games have gotten steadily better with time.
    There will always be low points to be sure.
    For every Crysis 2 there is a Haze.
    Just as for every Doom there was an Extreme Paintbrawl!

Portal 2 and Metroid Prime are probably the best games I have ever played from a first person perspective, almost peerless the both of them, both confounding both expectations of gameplay and level design, even surprising fans of the previous games in the respective series.

Only with respect to binary logic type people. Read between the lines! I said that the interactive storyline of Doom was an emergent unintended consequence of a threadbare plot and it worked but it was trivial all the same, because I play games for gameplay, I read books for reading and I watch films for watching. My criticism of plots in todays games focuses on the crappiness of the storylines and my detachment from the characters because they're so boring and cliched (I know ME isn't an fps but its a prime example). If the plots were good in these games then thats an additional benefit which I will praise and say helped the game but it ultimately doesn't matter because I play games for gameplay, not to wade through extended cutscenes, if the gameplay is good thats all that matters, anything else is a bonus.

I think sometimes simple can be better. Look at Robotron. Doom 1 and 2 for me are the robotron of FPS games. Simplistic but utterly chaotic and just so well polished that it stands the test of time and is as deep or deeper than any new games in terms of gameplay despite the simplicity.

Simple but well polished....

I have a body part like that ;)

And re: Robotron, one of favourites, along with Tempest.
    I'd rather play Robotron than SmashTV but I'd rather play Tempest 3000 than Tempest.

I think the simplicity of the graphics of Doom has prevented it from aging prematurely, although some of the map designs are up there with Pacmans maze, so well do we all know them.

And Doom doesn't have an interactive storyline!
    You walk through it, the story is just about there, and overlay on top of the game to try to make sense of the shootey goodness contained within!
    The game isn't "emergent" it is as linear and proscripted as they come.
    Sure, you can choose which weapon to shoot the horrors of hell with but at no time do you evolve much past the circle strafe.

Save "emergent" for Deus Ex or it's ilk, please.
    Or look it up...

Simple but well polished....

I have a body part like that ;)

And re: Robotron, one of favourites, along with Tempest.
    I'd rather play Robotron than SmashTV but I'd rather play Tempest 3000 than Tempest.

I think the simplicity of the graphics of Doom has prevented it from aging prematurely, although some of the map designs are up there with Pacmans maze, so well do we all know them.

And Doom doesn't have an interactive storyline!
    You walk through it, the story is just about there, and overlay on top of the game to try to make sense of the shootey goodness contained within!
    The game isn't "emergent" it is as linear and proscripted as they come.
    Sure, you can choose which weapon to shoot the horrors of hell with but at no time do you evolve much past the circle strafe.

Save "emergent" for Deus Ex or it's ilk, please.
    Or look it up...

Classic film, they don't make 'em like they used to. The story of the game is emergent in the player's mind due to a lack of story as an unintended result. That is essentially an emergent phehonomenon. FYI there was comic book embedded in Quake which featured Doom Guy? In the 90s everything was better, including what passed for extended cutscenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TheChief36

A game is better if you have a reason to shoot the thing you're shooting. That's what a plot is for. That's the difference between shooting targets in point blank and avenging a friend in Metal Gear Solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

TheChief36 wrote: »
    A game is better if you have a reason to shoot the thing you're shooting. That's what a plot is for. That's the difference between shooting targets in point blank and avenging a friend in Metal Gear Solid.

You must hate Galaga then?

TheChief36 wrote: »

If MGS4 didn't have a story it would have been a far better game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think anybody who actually played Tempest 3000 would rather play Tempest. It's meant to be pretty duff. Plus colour vector monitor games are the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

wiggumgun1.gif

Stop saying Emergent!

Immigrant gameplay.

In the 90s everything was better

Hmm, maybe you have a point...

Oh, wait now, on second thoughts...

I think anybody who actually played Tempest 3000 would rather play Tempest. It's meant to be pretty duff. Plus colour vector monitor games are the business.

Oddly enough, as I mentioned Tempest 3000, I actually own Tempest 3000 and a Nuon player to play it on.
    And as a Tempest 3000 owner I can assure you that it's better than the original.

I would even say, for the lesser collectors out there, that Tempest 2000 is far more freely available and is, as said before, better than the original.

But for those who, inexplicably, prefer the original, that is included in the Atari Jag game as well....

Which is nice.

Colour Monitor games are great, absolutely.
    As soon as you have a colour vector monitor to play it on be sure to let me know and we'll all come to your house.
    Until then a regular CRT will have to do.

Unless you are lucky enough to have a Vectrex and can play monochrome vector games, that would be ace indeed.

Oh!
    I have a Vectrex as well!
    And I can confirm, as suspected, it's awesome!!!!

I'll have no one slag off Kriss Kross. I still wear my pants backwards as a mark of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll have no one slag off Kriss Kross. I still wear no pants as a mark of respect.

Just tidied that up for ya :p

• Advertisement

Hmm, maybe you have a point...

Oh, wait now, on second thoughts...

Absolutely, Hanson are a great band, that song mmbop is pure pop genius.

A video like this would never be greenlit in todays hyper ironic knowing cynical times

In the 90s people knew how to have fun, they wore colourful clothes and partied, now everyone just stands around trying to be cool, not admitting that they enjoy films like Your Highness, mixing up the narrative darkness of a film with quality (Batman I'm looking in your direction) saying things like Doom was a good game but modern games are more complex and better, that they aren't as cheesy because they have sensitive troubled anti war type protagonists. You see now we have crap music like Franz Ferdinand and The Strokes, but back in the 90s we actually had good music which was inspired by the 60/70s. The 00s/10s have been inspired by the 80s which were in turn derivative of the 50s, arch conservative decades, hipsters are modern beatniks. We need to bring the 90s and games like Doom back.

Your Highness was a truly terrible movie no matter what decade's standards you judge it by

I play Doom while listening to Bat for Lashes. I feel like new emo Dante. Who am I!!!!!

In the 90s people knew how to have fun, they wore colourful clothes and partied, now everyone just stands around trying to be cool, not admitting that they enjoy films like Your Highness, mixing up the narrative darkness of a film with quality (Batman I'm looking in your direction) saying things like Doom was a good game but modern games are more complex and better, that they aren't as cheesy because they have sensitive troubled anti war type protagonists. You see now we have crap music like Franz Ferdinand and The Strokes, but back in the 90s we actually had good music which was inspired by the 60/70s. The 00s/10s have been inspired by the 80s which were in turn derivative of the 50s, arch conservative decades, hipsters are modern beatniks. We need to bring the 90s and games like Doom back.

Emm, anyone got one of those EPIC FAIL meme things handy.
    We could sure use one right now!

You logic, ironically, contains no logic, might want to watch that one.

The idea of one decade being greater than the previous is entirely down to when you hit puberty.
    So if it was the 90's then the awakening to all things sexual meant that everything else suddenly came in technicolor.

The idea that 90's music is/was inspired by the 60's or 70's is bull.
    So is the notion that the 00's were somehow held in awe the 80's.
    It's complete nonsense and just proves that anyone can type anything mix a personally held view with objective fact.

Every decade has it's fluff, it's throwaway media that sometimes becomes classic by virtue of it being a perfect little aural or visual "diorama" of a time, a place.
    Every decade has it's serious art that seeks to do the same thing.
    Every decade has tons of muck that has to be trawled through to get to the best examples of the above two genres.
    For every Little Richard, Chuck Berry, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Talking Heads, REM, B-52's or The Strokes you have manifold guys and gals who charted with number ones but were judged to be flash in the pan muck by history.
    That's the way it is.

They partied in pretty much every decade since records began as well.
    Although, to be fair, in the middle ages there was mainly variations on brown to be worn.....
    But we partied in the 80's, I know, I was there, we wore clothes and colourful ones at that.
    I have friends who, upon inquiry, assure me they partied in the 70's, again clothed and in colours but with a peculiar emphasis on paisley, go figure.
    Older colleagues maintain they partied hard in the 60's, at times without any clothes at all, but the piles in the corner of the room was typically colourful once again.
    The 50's I'm not so sure of, Ballrooms of Romance not being your typical party hardy kinda gig, but I reckon teens would have found a way regardless.

As for movies, are you really the only person who finds Nolans Batman movies to be lacking in some fashion?
    Dude, you need to get out more, put down Doom for a while, think of the children!

And as for fashion,
    At least it'll make you easy to spot....
    90s-fashion-the-90s-6330934-260-282.jpg

You'll be the one children point and laugh at.... ;)

I play all my games while listening to the latest albums from Cottage of Sodom and Bloody Stool.

I play all my games while listening to the latest albums from Cottage of Sodom and Bloody Stool.

It's true,
    If you get sodomised you can produce a bloody stool!
    Something about anal fissures...

I'll see if I can find a picture...

Anal Fissure Picture, be warned don't click if faint hearted!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

al28283 wrote: »
    Your Highness was a truly terrible movie no matter what decade's standards you judge it by

It was a pretty inventive and visually impressive fantasy film... too bad they decided to also make it an unfunny comedy filled with dick jokes.

Emm, anyone got one of those EPIC FAIL meme things handy.
    We could sure use one right now!

You logic, ironically, contains no logic, might want to watch that one.

The idea of one decade being greater than the previous is entirely down to when you hit puberty.
    So if it was the 90's then the awakening to all things sexual meant that everything else suddenly came in technicolor.

The idea that 90's music is/was inspired by the 60's or 70's is bull.
    So is the notion that the 00's were somehow held in awe the 80's.
    It's complete nonsense and just proves that anyone can type anything mix a personally held view with objective fact.

Every decade has it's fluff, it's throwaway media that sometimes becomes classic by virtue of it being a perfect little aural or visual "diorama" of a time, a place.
    Every decade has it's serious art that seeks to do the same thing.
    Every decade has tons of muck that has to be trawled through to get to the best examples of the above two genres.
    For every Little Richard, Chuck Berry, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Talking Heads, REM, B-52's or The Strokes you have manifold guys and gals who charted with number ones but were judged to be flash in the pan muck by history.
    That's the way it is.

They partied in pretty much every decade since records began as well.
    Although, to be fair, in the middle ages there was mainly variations on brown to be worn.....
    But we partied in the 80's, I know, I was there, we wore clothes and colourful ones at that.
    I have friends who, upon inquiry, assure me they partied in the 70's, again clothed and in colours but with a peculiar emphasis on paisley, go figure.
    Older colleagues maintain they partied hard in the 60's, at times without any clothes at all, but the piles in the corner of the room was typically colourful once again.
    The 50's I'm not so sure of, Ballrooms of Romance not being your typical party hardy kinda gig, but I reckon teens would have found a way regardless.

As for movies, are you really the only person who finds Nolans Batman movies to be lacking in some fashion?
    Dude, you need to get out more, put down Doom for a while, think of the children!

And as for fashion,
    At least it'll make you easy to spot....
    90s-fashion-the-90s-6330934-260-282.jpg

You'll be the one children point and laugh at.... ;)

Actually technically I should a 00s person as thats roughly when I hit puberty and I hate the 00s. The Strokes fcking suck and so do Talking Heads, I actually listened to a lot of Talking Heads in 2003 trying to like them because they were meant to be good, and yeah for about 1 minute that song, And the Days go By its not bad, but it runs out of steam after that first minute, the lyrics essentially get uninspired after that about water. When the Strokes first album came out everyone said ,ohh The Strokes they're so amazing, all I heard was derivative late 70s punk inspired garbage. The Strokes have to be one of the most annoying bands in the universe, not even the Artic Monkeys are as bad. And so what if I'm the only one who dislikes Nolan's Batman, I don't base the strength of my opinion with how closely it matches the consensus on things. The 90s were totally like the late 60s/70s reinvented. The second summer of love in 1990, Oasis were heavily indebted to the Beatles, actually rocking out with your guitar was back in fashion, unlike the 00s where it was all angular riffs and arch winking nods with tight jeans. Baggy jeans (flares), psychedelia, the whole new caring 90s (hippy ideals making a comback after the Gordon Gecko unempathetic excesses of the 80s), Ok Computer (Dark Side of the Moon), Grunge (which sounded a lot like 70s rock at times), the 90s kicked ass. In the 80s it was all about bringing rockabilly back, it was hip to be square like in the 50s, Queen released Crazy Little Thing which was basically an Elvis song, Shakey Stevens, Little Shop of Horrors, the 50s loomed large over the mostly crap decade that was the 80s. By the same token the 00s in emulating the 80s became the NEW new 50s. And it sucked. Particularly because a lot of the music was aping punk, which to be quite honest does nothing for me, especially British Punk, American Punk like Black Flag has some attitude to it. Siouxsie and the Banshees for example are rubbish but they had one really good song in 1992 for Burton's superior Batman Returns, it was the 90s effect, it made everything good. And yeah 90s fashion was cool, Fresh Prince of Bel Air style, bright greens, cap back to front, MC Hammer Balloon pants, much better than this skinny jeans and glasses without lens look which is meant to be cool, but isnt!

And back on topic, at least with Doom I can put on some 90s music, drink a beer and play a real game!

DinoRex wrote: »
    It was a pretty inventive and visually impressive fantasy film... too bad they decided to also make it an unfunny comedy filled with dick jokes.

True, it could have been a modern day Princess Bride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Oddly enough, as I mentioned Tempest 3000, I actually own Tempest 3000 and a Nuon player to play it on.
    And as a Tempest 3000 owner I can assure you that it's better than the original.

Fair enough if you actually have a copy. I haven't had a chance to play it so I just went with this review. I got to play a Tempest arcade machine a few years ago and it's pretty awesome on the original hardware. I've played a fair bit of Tempest X3 (which is meant to be a somewhat butchered version of Tempest 2000) and I really enjoyed it as well.

Advertisement