Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doom is the best FPS ever

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Strokes fcking suck and so do Talking Heads, I actually listened to a lot of Talking Heads in 2003 trying to like them because they were meant to be good, and yeah for about 1 minute that song, And the Days go By its not bad, but it runs out of steam after that first minute, the lyrics essentially get uninspired after that about water.

That would be "Once in a Lifetime", well done for getting the title right.
    Here's the meaning of it...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_in_a_Lifetime_(Talking_Heads_song)
    And so what if I'm the only one who dislikes Nolan's Batman, I don't base the strength of my opinion with how closely it matches the consensus on things.

It's great to voice your opinion, but you don't present it as such, rather you say "This is what I say and it's right and all other opinions are wrong".
    Shove the occasional imho here and there and you're sorted.
    The 90s were totally like the late 60s/70s reinvented.
    In Your Opinion....
    Oasis were heavily indebted to the Beatles, actually rocking out with your guitar was back in fashion, unlike the 00s where it was all angular riffs and arch winking nods with tight jeans.

Sure, that's Oasis, who I believe made one record and kept making it again and again, but then you forget Blur and the whole Madchester movement with the likes of the Inspiral Carpets, nothing to do with the 60's at all.
    Baggy jeans (flares), psychedelia, the whole new caring 90s (hippy ideals making a comback after the Gordon Gecko unempathetic excesses of the 80s)

Eh, I was there and baggy jeans, Joe Bloggs and the like were nothing like flares, flares are fitted down to the legs when they flare out, hence the name, baggy jeans, on the other hand, were born out of hip-hop culture, where it was cool to wear outsized clothing due to young men of the era wearing hand-me down clothes.
    Grunge (which sounded a lot like 70s rock at times)
    No it didn't.
    The best of 70's rock had it's roots in bluegrass, blues, rhythm and blues and also folk music, as evident in Led Zeppelin and Cream.
    Grunge was an awesome deconstructed heavy rock that was the perfect antidote to the occasionally entertaining but over-produced poodle rock that the likes of Whitesnake and Motley Crue were playing in the 80's.
    the 90s kicked ass.
    Sure, I was there and I kicked ass along with it.
    In the 80s it was all about bringing rockabilly back
    Nope, unless you were a Stray Cats fan.
    it was hip to be square like in the 50s
    Nope, it wasn't, that is a Huey Lewis song, good american rock, timeless but, well square means tool in todays language, did you listen to the song??
    Queen released Crazy Little Thing which was basically an Elvis song
    A song written in '79, on the album in '80 and is a classic rock song sure, so what? Proves nothing, nothing at all, except as the years go on and more and more sub-genres of rock and roll emerge there will always be more and more styles for artists to use to express themselves, here Queen used classic rock and roll, in other songs on the same album they have "Another one bites the dust" which is nothing like a 1950's rock and roll song.
    Shakey Stevens
    That would be Shakin' Stevens, a 50's nostalgia act through and through.
    Little Shop of Horrors
    was a film that happened to be set in the 60's because the original movie was released in 1960 and was then made into a stage musical set in the same time period, the film was a direct lift to the screen.
    the 50s loomed large over the mostly crap decade that was the 80s.
    No it didn't.
    By the same token the 00s in emulating the 80s became the NEW new 50s. And it sucked.
    Once again we are forgetting to insert "in my humble opinion" or "imho" anywhere in these sentences.
    Particularly because a lot of the music was aping punk, which to be quite honest does nothing for me, especially British Punk, American Punk like Black Flag has some attitude to it.
    You are really really simply wrong there, not just imho but just wrong.
    The decade had so much music in it, from every variation of Rock to Rap, from Folk to Country and Western, you make such a sweeping statement that contains no empirical truth what so ever.
    Siouxsie and the Banshees for example are rubbish but they had one really good song in 1992 for Burton's superior Batman Returns
    That band were actually very good, an 80's goth rock band and had a string of hit in the 80's, the song for the brilliant Batman Returns was one of their final to chart, "Face to Face", but their version of "Dear Prudence" is pretty spectacular.

And yeah 90s fashion was cool, Fresh Prince of Bel Air style, bright greens, cap back to front, MC Hammer Balloon pants, much better than this skinny jeans and glasses without lens look which is meant to be cool, but isnt!
    Eh, sure, yeah, I bought into The Fresh Prince, of course I bought into the music he was making back in late 80's, Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble and Parents Just Don't Understand both being hits in 87/88.
    Mc Hammer was cool for one album, some would say for one song, the album was "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Them" and the song was Can't Touch This
    and then he went splat on his ass, probably because of his dumb ass genie pants that nobody ever wore.

As for the skinny jeans thing, some people have always wore skinny jeans, not sure what the glasses without lenses thing is, are we back to this?
    hipsters.jpg
    And back on topic, at least with Doom I can put on some 90s music, drink a beer and play a real game!

IN YOUR OPINION!
    Nothing like a first person shooter with a bit of this on, yeah!!!
    You gotta commit!
    Commit 100% Man!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I only listen to songs about death metal, not actual death metal. HAIL SATAN!

Anyone played Doom RPG actually? I played it on a pre-smart phone. I remember it being moderately interesting, although not ideal control wise using a number pad :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I only listen to songs about death metal, not actual death metal. HAIL SATAN!

Anyone played Doom RPG actually? I played it on a pre-smart phone. I remember it being moderately interesting, although not ideal control wise using a number pad :pac:

Sorry, but have to post in repost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

And CiDeRmAn wins the thread

al28283 wrote: »
    And CiDeRmAn wins the thread

Awesome!!!
    What do I win???

Maybe some of dis!!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That would be "Once in a Lifetime", well done for getting the title right.
    Here's the meaning of it...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_in_a_Lifetime_(Talking_Heads_song)

It's great to voice your opinion, but you don't present it as such, rather you say "This is what I say and it's right and all other opinions are wrong".
    Shove the occasional imho here and there and you're sorted.

In Your Opinion....

Sure, that's Oasis, who I believe made one record and kept making it again and again, but then you forget Blur and the whole Madchester movement with the likes of the Inspiral Carpets, nothing to do with the 60's at all.

Eh, I was there and baggy jeans, Joe Bloggs and the like were nothing like flares, flares are fitted down to the legs when they flare out, hence the name, baggy jeans, on the other hand, were born out of hip-hop culture, where it was cool to wear outsized clothing due to young men of the era wearing hand-me down clothes.

No it didn't.
    The best of 70's rock had it's roots in bluegrass, blues, rhythm and blues and also folk music, as evident in Led Zeppelin and Cream.
    Grunge was an awesome deconstructed heavy rock that was the perfect antidote to the occasionally entertaining but over-produced poodle rock that the likes of Whitesnake and Motley Crue were playing in the 80's.

Sure, I was there and I kicked ass along with it.

Nope, unless you were a Stray Cats fan.

Nope, it wasn't, that is a Huey Lewis song, good american rock, timeless but, well square means tool in todays language, did you listen to the song??

A song written in '79, on the album in '80 and is a classic rock song sure, so what? Proves nothing, nothing at all, except as the years go on and more and more sub-genres of rock and roll emerge there will always be more and more styles for artists to use to express themselves, here Queen used classic rock and roll, in other songs on the same album they have "Another one bites the dust" which is nothing like a 1950's rock and roll song.

That would be Shakin' Stevens, a 50's nostalgia act through and through.

was a film that happened to be set in the 60's because the original movie was released in 1960 and was then made into a stage musical set in the same time period, the film was a direct lift to the screen.

No it didn't.

Once again we are forgetting to insert "in my humble opinion" or "imho" anywhere in these sentences.

You are really really simply wrong there, not just imho but just wrong.
    The decade had so much music in it, from every variation of Rock to Rap, from Folk to Country and Western, you make such a sweeping statement that contains no empirical truth what so ever.

That band were actually very good, an 80's goth rock band and had a string of hit in the 80's, the song for the brilliant Batman Returns was one of their final to chart, "Face to Face", but their version of "Dear Prudence" is pretty spectacular.

Eh, sure, yeah, I bought into The Fresh Prince, of course I bought into the music he was making back in late 80's, Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble and Parents Just Don't Understand both being hits in 87/88.
    Mc Hammer was cool for one album, some would say for one song, the album was "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Them" and the song was Can't Touch This
    and then he went splat on his ass, probably because of his dumb ass genie pants that nobody ever wore.

As for the skinny jeans thing, some people have always wore skinny jeans, not sure what the glasses without lenses thing is, are we back to this?
    hipsters.jpg

IN YOUR OPINION!
    Nothing like a first person shooter with a bit of this on, yeah!!!
    You gotta commit!
    Commit 100% Man!

Quote mining, ffs, where do you get the patience.. I will not engage in a quote mining battle because I spend time playing Doom, not quote tagging.

First 79/80 is roughly the 80s, yes technically not the 80s, but very close culturally, Queen therefore released a fifties sounding song in the 80s, in 1980 and wrote and recorded in 1979 which is in the same cultural realm.

Siouxsie and the Banshees are a punk band, everything about them is punk, Siouxsie Sue would be insulted if you called her band goth, they were clearly punk, there is some overlap in the fashion of punk and goth, but they were punk, their lyrics were much too angry and acerbic to be a whiny goth band like the Cure, who also suck apart from a few good songs.

Blur were a sh1t band who were inspired by the 70s, the Universal video incorporates imagery from A Clockwork Orange, their other stuff was essentially stolen from the Madchester scene which in turn was heavily influenced by psychedelia. Their mid 90s stuff was 70s sounding and their song Tender is a derivative Beatles style peace and love anthem.

Grunge bands like Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains definately have a 70s influence. Smashing Pumpkins have a 70s influence. Its undeniable that the zeitgeist during the 90s was 60s/70s influenced.

Yeah I've seen the 1960 version, 1960 isn't much different from 1959, same cultural epoch, the trends of decade don't end immediately or neatly. The cultural decades overlap and are as follows

1950s: 1947-1963,
    1960s: 1963-1969,
    1970s: 1969-1978,
    1980s: 1978-1988,
    1990s: 1988-2003
    2000s: 2001-present.

The 00s zeitgeist has been defined by hipster bands, even Gang of Four said in the Ticket in 2004 that indie bands were just aping what they did. You can point to millions of underground bands or bands that weren't part of the scene but the dominant musical hegemony was Coldplay stuff and indie (crap) rock. That was the mood of the time and still is unfortunately as the 00s simply won't end, kinda like the 80s in a way.

Baggy jeans may not be the same as flares but they were the 90s version of flares, now everything is skinny jeans and glasses without lenses with shirts that don't match.

I cannot qualify my opinions which are observations of fact with imo or imho because I cannot not fall victim to the political correctness police, I must sing my facts loud and proud on the internet, I must express my love for a game without fear of reprisal, I will say its the best and I don't care if people disagree because I know that I am 100% correct in everything I say.

QED.

:)

you seem to spend most of your time listening to music you hate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This picture is starting to p1ss me off

hipsters.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not entirely sure how a conversation about a demon murderising simulator has turned into rambling attempts to define and pigeonhole the various cultural zeitgeists of an entire century.

In short: there's always good music, there's always good games, there's always good art no matter what the decade. Anyone who claims otherwise is frankly not paying enough attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My parents bought me the Doom collection when I was about 8.

I blame Doom, and that game alone, for opening their eyes to a changing world where 'video games' and 'kids' were absolutely not synonymous, as had been the naive opinion up until that point - and sadly, of a great many parents today still, if the endless Call of Duty controversies are any indication.

They came in to have a look at little me playing his new game, and pretty much saw this which, from their reaction, was the furthest thing from the expectations they had of what games were all about (I had been shown this secret location by a friend, himself having learnt its location by secretly playing his dads copy of Doom II on the office computer).

Funny thing is now, they wouldn't even give it a second glance, hard to believe with modern day visuals and levels of realism that all those years ago something so elemental was considered disturbingly realistic.

It melts my brain sometimes to imagine what games will look like in the year 2020.

Anyway....Doom was a hell of a game. Few games today really capture the imagination as it did. Doom was the ultimate to which there was no competitor.

I'm a die hard FPS fan myself, don't play much else really. Some of my favourites:

One that deserves mention is Unreal Tournament (UT99, in my opinion, is the finest MP game ever released relative to its time). An absolutely mind blowing series of games for online play.

Also consider Medal of Honor on the PSX a under-appreciated classic. Yes, its visuals were somewhat lacklustre owing to the platform, but the atmosphere, primarily owing to the impeccable soundtrack, was incredible. I don't think I've ever been so impressed with the soundtrack in an SP game to that extent as I was with MOH.

Also some features from FPS games that appeared and disappeared despite seemingly positive attributes. Ghoul damage modelling in SOF2, anyone? Nail a bad guy with a headshot, and half his head comes off and brain splatters everywhere. Walk up to him, take out your knife, and proceed to main him brutally in ways actually not seen since that 2004 release....

Best kill at 2:13!

Soldier of Fortune 3...what a ****ing travesty. Cauldron and their ****ty 'same game different skin' releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'm not entirely sure how a conversation about a demon murderising simulator has turned into rambling attempts to define and pigeonhole the various cultural zeitgeists of an entire century.

In short: there's always good music, there's always good games, there's always good art no matter what the decade. Anyone who claims otherwise is frankly not paying enough attention.

Its an emergent property of the thread.

What about the decline in Roman culture?

Advertisement