Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

maps of owls sightings around ireland

• 09-10-2011 12:44am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Is there any web site that can give me maps of owls/harriers and other birds, where they are recorded as been seen around ireland. I just want to see if they are around at all in my locality.

Can't find this on birdwatch ireland..is it there???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

The only one i know of is the golden eagle trust website, they have all of ireland's bird of prey on there, people send in there sightings.
    here's the barn owl one to start you off
    http://www.goldeneagle.ie/portal.php?z=237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

IrishBirding.com as well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

thanks for the links...

It seems to me just by looking at those sightings not very many people record their sightings, probably the same few people in certain areas. Would I be right to say this?

There seem to be huge areas of counties that birds are not being recorded in at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

artieanna wrote: »
    thanks for the links...

It seems to me just by looking at those sightings not very many people record their sightings, probably the same few people in certain areas. Would I be right to say this?

There seem to be huge areas of counties that birds are not being recorded in at all.

That is partly true.

These websites tend to focus on rarities, and certain counties will see more of these than others (e.g. the south coast will get continental rarities that overshoot on migration, the west coast will get American waders that get blown off course by hurricanes, and Antrim will always get more Snow Buntings than Waterford).

What tends to happen is that these counties around the coast are more closely watched because the chances of a rarity are higher, which in turn means more birds are found.

Having said all that, there is no doubt that you will see a bigger variety of birds in Wexford than in Carlow, or in Galway than in Roscommon for the reasons given.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I would say that that a lot of people don't record their sightings anywhere. A few years back my husband and I both saw a barn owl in roughly the same location but a few weeks apart.... it didn't even cross our minds to record it anywhere. I know better now ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement