Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting in new york

Options
  • 09-10-2011 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

Where in new york is the cheapest place too rent a 3 bedroom house. Or is all of new york really dear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

cena wrote: »
    Where in new york is the cheapest place too rent a 3 bedroom house. Or is all of new york really dear

Do you mean the city or just the state? holiday rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

avalon68 wrote: »
    Do you mean the city or just the state? holiday rental?

Well maybe the state. City in too dear. It could be for long term.

well the state is a big area - is there anything in particular you want to be near?

well the state is a big area - is there anything in particular you want to be near?

well Brooklyn or a place up state called poughkeepise. Have family over there. I'm asking cause we get a letter on Friday telling our we'v the end of the month too be out and we can't find anything around the area. There isn't much keeping ous around. Its some thing my mother has said from time to time. She really wants to be around her aunties.

Your best bet is to try local papers and real estate agents - Im assuming you are already in the states so maybe try calling around a few places to get an idea of price.

• Advertisement

Your best bet is to try local papers and real estate agents - Im assuming you are already in the states so maybe try calling around a few places to get an idea of price.

No not in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

No not in the states

I know you feel like you've got nothing here and everything in the US but I can't stress enough how bad an idea it would be to go over illegally (I remember from your previous posts that your relatives can't sponsor as they are not close enough). Even renting a house will require a social security number and a credit check as will each and every utility, and if you don't have a credit history there will be substantial deposits for each one too. The US is very much the land of haves and have nots and I think you would be mad to consider going over without the prospect of a decnet job with health benefits etc.

I know you feel like you've got nothing here and everything in the US but I can't stress enough how bad an idea it would be to go over illegally (I remember from your previous posts that your relatives can't sponsor as they are not close enough). Even renting a house will require a social security number and a credit check as will each and every utility, and if you don't have a credit history there will be substantial deposits for each one too. The US is very much the land of haves and have nots and I think you would be mad to consider going over without the prospect of a decnet job with health benefits etc.

My mother has a social number from her time over there. How do you mean the relatives aren't close enough (not brother, sister etc). I'd take any job over there that I thought I would be good at. I'm good at working with kids.

I wish My gran went and got her green card after her mother went through ellis island back in the day. Than my mother could could of got one.

How do you mean the relatives aren't close enough (not brother, sister etc).
    Exactly, only an immediate relative (parent, sibling, child or spouse) can sponsor for a greencard.
    I'd take any job over there that I thought I would be good at. I'm good at working with kids.
    You won't be able to get a proper job like that without the appropriate visa, police clearance etc. Cash in hand in a domestic situation makes you very vunerable to exploitation and you will have no backup (no healthcare , no unemployment entitlements).

Exactly, only an immediate relative (parent, sibling, child or spouse) can sponsor for a greencard.

You won't be able to get a proper job like that without the appropriate visa, police clearance etc. Cash in hand in a domestic situation makes you very vunerable to exploitation and you will have no backup (no healthcare , no unemployment entitlements).

Would my mother of been able too of one if her granny was still alive.

I won't be going over with the right papers. I'm not that silly. Still want too able too see the family over there. So hard knowing they are over there and were not. Cousins etc don't speak too me over here. Not sure why not, but there loss.

Would a working visa be any good. According too usit they say said I could get one if it child care i'v experince in. Have over ten yrs in that area.

• Advertisement

Based on what you have said in this thread it would be unlikely that you would get a visa to work here. They are pretty restricted - childminding etc is not something they would give a visa for. Generally you would require a PhD, or at least a masters, or else be employed in a highly specialized sector where there is a shortage of talent here. Lonestargirl had a very valid point too - this is very much a land of haves and have nots, and there is no safety net - as a foreigner you would not be entitled to any assistance at all. Its not as simple as turning up with a social security number - its very easy to check if thats valid for use. I had to provide it for EVERYTHING....bank accounts, driving license, ESB, Phone.....absolutely everything. And not having a credit rating here is very tough unless you have a large amount of cash to bring with you - you wont even be elligible for a credit card or overdraft on arrival. plus the economy here isnt exactly rosy either - jobs are hard to come by unless you are highly qualified.

Based on what you have said in this thread it would be unlikely that you would get a visa to work here. They are pretty restricted - childminding etc is not something they would give a visa for. Generally you would require a PhD, or at least a masters, or else be employed in a highly specialized sector where there is a shortage of talent here. Lonestargirl had a very valid point too - this is very much a land of haves and have nots, and there is no safety net - as a foreigner you would not be entitled to any assistance at all. Its not as simple as turning up with a social security number - its very easy to check if thats valid for use. I had to provide it for EVERYTHING....bank accounts, driving license, ESB, Phone.....absolutely everything. And not having a credit rating here is very tough unless you have a large amount of cash to bring with you - you wont even be elligible for a credit card or overdraft on arrival. plus the economy here isnt exactly rosy either - jobs are hard to come by unless you are highly qualified.

I know of all the above. I had asked one of the familys solictiors and they said they would look into it but I never went too them. been too busy.

My mother was asked last year if would come and look after cousins kids and they would of sponsored her too do so. But was too busy than with work etc.

oh well no harm in asking

My mother was asked last year if would come and look after cousins kids and they would of sponsored her too do so. But was too busy than with work etc.
    They couldn't have sponsored her for this job, work visas are only available for jobs which require a degree as a minimum.

Well the current child minder they have they went as far as paying for her visa just too keep her. These two people are very rich. They still have her.

Advertisement