Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age are you allowed to go into Town?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

What age were you allowed at/or will be allowed at to go into town with a big group of friends by bus? (I'm addressing mostly teenagers here, but if you're a parent, then tell me what age you let your teen go into town/or what age she/he will be allowed to go.) Awaiting many answers. :) And is it like safe (in your opinion) to go into Town with a group of friends? Thank you for answering. ^.^

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

to go shopping 16/17

drinking 18/19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭SandraManson

irishbird wrote: »
    to go shopping 16/17

drinking 18/19
    Hmm well, alot of my friends are 14/15 and they are allowed to go into Town by themselves (I mean like in a group of friends.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Been allowed since I was 12 during the day. Really don't see what the problem is, that said I went to school in town so it was no different for me.

RMD wrote: »
    Been allowed since I was 12 during the day. Really don't see what the problem is, that said I went to school in town so it was no different for me.
    Oh I see, well I live in Dublin, really close to the city, but I'm just wondering what age teenagers were allowed there. Is Dublin a safe enough city to go with your friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

just stay away from o connell st on weekend nights!

• Advertisement

just stay away from o connell st on weekend nights!
    It's not like I'm going to go in Town at night, I'm going there during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

RMD wrote: »

Yeah I can't recall exactly but it was about 12, no older than 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Yea about 12 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

to go shopping 16/17

drinking 18/19

Yup, thats it with two.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

OP should sneak out of the house if her mummy and daddy won't let her go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

What age were you allowed at/or will be allowed at to go into town with a big group of friends by bus? (I'm addressing mostly teenagers here, but if you're a parent, then tell me what age you let your teen go into town/or what age she/he will be allowed to go.) Awaiting many answers. :) And is it like safe (in your opinion) to go into Town with a group of friends? Thank you for answering. ^.^

Started going into town with a friend at 13, on my own by 15, and out boozing at 16. So long as you're sticking to the main shopping areas, I see no problem at 13 if the whole group of friends is responsible.

dermiek wrote: »
    OP should sneak out of the house if her mummy and daddy won't let her go.
    I'm more concerned about the safety in the town than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

About 14 I think but I had to be home by 6.

Town is perfectly safe during the day imo

phasers wrote: »
    About 14 I think but I had to be home by 6.

Town is perfectly safe during the day imo
    And are there no "scumbags" or "drugies" in there to attack you? Took the bus or train? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

And are there no "scumbags" or "drugies" in there to attack you? Took the bus or train? :)
    I got the bus (the 78a in fact, the worst bus in Dublin), and as long as you stay in a public place you'll be fine! Especially if you're in a group.

phasers wrote: »
    I got the bus (the 78a in fact, the worst bus in Dublin), and as long as you stay in a public place you'll be fine! Especially if you're in a group.
    Oh alright, thank you so much, I'm worried I'll get attacked or something. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Keep your wits about you, don't leave your bag hanging open or leave your important stuff in the front pocket of your schoolbag...

I think I was allowed to go into town shopping/cinema etc when I was about 13, though I had been in often with my mum and knew where my bus was etc..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

what is the reason yuo want to go in to the city? Is it just to hang around central bank or do you have a purpose?

i dont agree with this hanging around town business, that's how you get in trouble.

The city isnt a place for 13 year old children to be hanging around unaccompanied

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

what is the reason yuo want to go in to the city? Is it just to hang around central bank or do you have a purpose?

i dont agree with this hanging around town business, that's how you get in trouble.

The city isnt a place for 13 year old children to be hanging around unaccompanied

12 but had to be home at a reasonable hour. I met most of my friends I still have now, 15 years later from hanging around town. God knows where I would have ended up if I stayed with the crowd from my area at that age. Never got in much trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Think I was 13 or 14,used to get the bus in on a Saturday afternoon with my mate who was the same age aswell.Just used to go to the reptile shop in Temple Bar,and then meet up with friends at Central Bank.

Had to be home by 7pm and nothing ever happenned to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I was allowed go to the cinema/shopping during the day from about 12/13, but I grew up in the country and we're talking circa 1998 here. Don't know if that makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was allowed in about 16.

But I had to start a thread on an online forum first and show my parents that everyone else on the internet was allowed in at that age too.

Just want to go shopping with my group of friends plus I am older than 13. :)

I was allowed at 13, didn't make it a regular thing until 14. But we were all pretty mature at that stage. I'd get the dart in and home, bus sometimes. I was allowed stay as late as the last bus/dart when I was 15.

I don't want to sound mean but looking at your quote above I'd say you're not quite ready yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I was 13, had to be home by 6, or ring by 6 if I was going to be late. By the time I was 16 it was 8 o'clock or thereabouts.

I was allowed at 13, didn't make it a regular thing until 14. But we were all pretty mature at that stage. I'd get the dart in and home, bus sometimes. I was allowed stay as late as the last bus/dart when I was 15.

I don't want to sound mean but looking at your quote above I'd say you're not quite ready yet.
    I just want to make sure it's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭crushproof

I just want to make sure it's safe.

Jeez, it's not Joburg or Compton (no offence to anyone from either!) but come on, at 13 or whatever age you are you must have some street smarts! Rule one, don't accept candy from strangers, unless they're random radio interviews, then by all means indulge.
    And seeing as halloween is coming up, don't go buying fireworks and bangers off dodgy looking folk...there's always a secret Guard lurking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Surely OP that's a question for you and your parents to decide together?

We all have different personalities, some of us are more streetwise than others and as a result the age at which our parents allow us to do things will differ.

Generally with some common sense a compromise can be reached, although I know some parents are far stricter than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Drinking: about 17

Shopping: I can actually remember being let into town at about 12 or 13 with friends to go shopping.

I have baby children now and would probably be the same for drinking and maybe let them go into town alone at about 14. Mobile phones make things a lot handier for parents now.

Advertisement