Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optics-trade.eu?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever buy from optics-trade.eu? How did it go for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I'd also like to hear of anyone's dealings with this site. I exchanged a few messages with the guy who runs the site and he came across as very informed and knowledgeable and quick to offer advice or an opinion. To an extent that I'd be prepared to buy a scope from them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

We have the owner of the site/shop as a member here. Joined up recently, and so far has given top quality answers to questions regarding scopes. De_Tomaso.

I have noticed though, that the prices exceed those here. For example i done a comparison on Hawke Sidewinder, Varmint SF, and Zeiss Duralyt 60, all of which have been bought by me and a friend within the last 6 weeks - 3 months.

Scope | Irish Dealer | Optic Trade|
    Hawke S/W 30 | €380 | €440 |
    Hawke Varmint SF | €169 | €201 |
    Zeiss Duralyt 60 | €895 | €1,036 |

I cannot compare more as they do not do NF or other scopes i've bought recently and i am not 100% on the prices of other makes here such as Swar, S&B, Bushnell.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I asked DeTomaso about the perceived high prices and he told me that some companies fix their own prices and he has no control over that. But there are discounts available if you enquire.
    Sorry if divulging PM's causes trouble for anyone.

But it goes to show when so many of us are discussing US and EU sites that I believe the selection of scopes here is poor. I was looking for another Bushnell Elite Tactical but couldn't find one on these shores, the only place I found any were overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

I'm the same lefthooker, the only place I could find what I want is outside Ireland. Guess were too small a market.

lefthooker wrote: »
    Sorry if divulging PM's causes trouble for anyone.

If a PM is not of a sensitive nature and the other party is not opposed to the details being posted there is no issue. Its like posting a text message you got from someone. Its up to you.
    I asked DeTomaso about the perceived high prices and he told me that some companies fix their own prices and he has no control over that. But there are discounts available if you enquire.

Thats most likely true, and i'm sure the prices he is giving is the best they do. I'm pointing out though that the scopes i mentioned above can be gotten here with nothing more complicated than a drive to my local dealer.

After saying that i am sometimes annoyed by the lack of choice in scopes. Alot of dealers stock the same brand, but when it comes to other makes or models they all require importing, and if i was going that route then i would most definitely use another source than the importers here.For example i see Bushnell Banners, Legends, etc everywhere, but few stock a decent or any of the 3200, 4200, 6500 range. I suppose they have to limit their stock to what sells the best and quickly without having too much money tied up in stock, but would it kill them to carry at least one or two of them.
    But it goes to show when so many of us are discussing US and EU sites that I believe the selection of scopes here is poor. I was looking for another Bushnell Elite Tactical but couldn't find one on these shores, the only place I found any were overseas.

As above i agree. While our selcetion remains poor enough i have noticed that Ireland seems to be cheaper for certain brands than other countries. For example the NF range. The most expensive model here is €1,850. I've found the same model in Europe for €1,900 to €2,250. In the UK it goes for £1,795. Thats about €2,050.

Same with the scopes i mentioned above. They seem cheaper than other countries. If i save little to no money by buying from aborad i buy local. If i can save at least 20% then of course i'll buy abroad.

As for the USA. Its a lottery buying from there. Between stories of no problems to stories of scopes getting seized you never know if you will get your scope and if you do get it if the duty/tax will not make it the same price as here. I mean the NF from the states is $1,800 (€1,350). Add VAT @21.5% & and Duty @4.7% and you end up paying €1,710 or so. So for €100 and 6 weeks waiting (in some cases) you save a little. Also some scopes SHOULD not be shipped out of the states, irrespective of what people say they can get and have gotten. It may only be a matter of time until it is stopped completely.

Shipping form the EU has none of these problems. The only thing you pay for is the shipping and its usually much quicker.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

I don't think we're too small a market, I think our dealers cover too narrow a market. It's very easy to walk into any dealers and see Nightfirce, S&B, Swaro or Zeiss on the shelves; fine for a CF or stalking or target rifle but way OTT for a RF. That or some of the lower powered cheaper brands. It's very hard to find good mid ranged mid powered scopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

I have to reply to this topic since you are talking about my online store.

Like some of you have mentioned earlier, most of the prices are set according to agreement with the manufacturers and will be always the same in the on-line store. I can however offer you substantial discount if you send an PM or mail. In some cases I will still not be cheaper then dealers in the states but certainly the price will be competitive with all of EU dealers. This way you also avoid all the hassle in case of warranty claim since you made the purchase in EU and not overseas.

A word more about Hawke prices. They have given out a new price list valid from this month onwards and I think that some of the dealers have not changed the prices yet. Wait one more month and you will see that everybody will update their prices and will be very similar to those in my shop. About Zeiss read the part about PM or email.

Shipping cost you can find here: http://www.optics-trade.eu/shop/en/shipping

0 - 99€ .............39,00 €

100 - 599€.........29,00 €

600 - 1199€.......15,00 €

> 1200€..............0,00 €

I will also write a few words about the most important part of my online shop. I invest much of my energy in this shop in advising people what to buy and which product will best suit their needs. Sport optics is my hobby for the last 15 years and I used or tested really a lot of products. So before buying I can help you in finding the best possible products for your needs and budget. I also can afford and always give honest advice about equipment since I am not focused only a couple of brands but sell 20 of them.

If you have any more questions write me an email or PM.

Hey De_Tomaso.

Firstly i apologise if it seems as though you are being sectioned out, but as the thread references your store i used it as an example. It is not necessarily all about you or your store.
    De_Tomaso wrote: »
    A word more about Hawke prices. They have given out a new price list valid from this month onwards and I think that some of the dealers have not changed the prices yet. [/qute]

Will keep an eye on that. My local dealer is currently selling them for €380, but can do better if its part of a package or one item among many. Will be interesting to see if the price goes up, and if it does will it reach the €440 mark as advertised on your site.

Any info on the Zeiss. There is currently a €141 difference between your store, and here in price. Are they going up too?
    I also can afford and always give honest advice about equipment since I am not focused only a couple of brands but sell 20 of them.

Your posts here so far have given great information and have been on great value to myself and others users so keep up the good work. Its good to have someone with a good knowledge base of all scopes rather than most of us that have a decent knowledge of certain brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

Ezridax wrote: »

Any info on the Zeiss. There is currently a €141 difference between your store, and here in price. Are they going up too?

For Zeiss I can PM you about the prices since I use only 8% discount in the on-line store. Zeiss will not go up though, but I do have to say that would recommend Kahles Helia C or Kaps any time over Duralyt series. I honestly think that Zeiss makes one of the best optics in the world but Duralyt has left me so so feelings. It is something like A series from Mercedes. It is a Mercedes but so far away from an S class that it is almost a sin that it wears the same badge.

Your posts here so far have given great information and have been on great value to myself and others users so keep up the good work. Its good to have someone with a good knowledge base of all scopes rather than most of us that have a decent knowledge of certain brands.

Thank you for the compliment. I do please for the acknowledgement that everything I write is only my personal opinion and nothing more. There is a lot of people that knows a lot more about optics then me.

When i came up from the farm for a bit of tea and toast this morning a "large" box was waiting for me inside the hall door. The DPD man had been around, and this was before 9 o clock.
    I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical on my .17HMR and was looking to get 1 for my .22lr and found 1 on the Optics-trade site but thought it was too pricey compared to US sites. I got talking to Teodor(DeTomaso) and he recommended the Vortex range as an equal alternative. After a bit of research i settled on a Viper 6.5-20x44. I knew there could be up to 4wks delivery time so i sat back and waited. There was a hitch with the order, i won't go into details but Teodor was straight on it and offered a suitable replacement. So right now i have a Viper HS 4-16x50 BDC on my Sako.(the Bushnell is now on my Savage). Its a fine reticle with hash marks instead of dots and now has windage markings too. I haven't had a chance to shoot it but i'm really happy with first impressions.

I found Teodor really helpful and very easy to contact, I got regular emails to keep me up to speed with what was happening. If Teodor has what you're looking for in stock I'd recommend contacting him. I have what appears to be a very good scope for very little money and because DPD delivered it to my door there was no VAT or customs to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Hi have talked via email to De_Tomaso. and was very happy with the advise given,
    I was ready to make the purchase but the shipping cost at €29 put me off otherwise I would have ordered.

Hi have talked via email to De_Tomaso. and was very happy with the advise given,
    I was ready to make the purchase but the shipping cost at €29 put me off otherwise I would have ordered.

29euro is very reasonable and thats all you pay when its delivered by courier/parcel service

Advertisement