Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle helmet laws?

• 09-10-2011 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I've searched a good bit for an answer to this question now and can't find myself one anywhere. All I can find is that I do indeed need a helmet to drive a motorcycle, but duh, I know that already. I want to know if there's any restrictions on the type at all.

Basically I miss the place and want to know if I'll ever be able to legally scooter down a road here in Ireland Vietnam-style —wearing one of their type helmets, a poncho and a full pollution face mask? :)

And if not, how dire would the consequences be if I were to do it anyway? Considering if I was pulled over some day, I would still be wearing a helmet, and could have it a good big bulky one with a partial visor. Would I be let away with a warning maybe? They couldn't possibly penalise badly someone who looked that big a hero?

4466256313_70f31be239.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

The helmet in the picture looks like a standard openface helmet, in which case your perfectly entitled to wear one of them while riding your bike in ireland.

I personally wouldnt, as if you were in a crash it could well be the end of your face :(, but thankfully that choice has not been taken away from us (yet)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Has to meet an 'appropriate' standard, IIRC which could mean anyhting really :rolleyes: Seen everything from genuine old german army to super high tech carbon fibre composite lids being worn without hassle.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

The helmet in the picture looks like a standard openface helmet, in which case your perfectly entitled to wear one of them while riding your bike in ireland.

I personally wouldnt, as if you were in a crash it could well be the end of your face :(, but thankfully that choice has not been taken away from us (yet)!
    bladespin wrote: »
    Has to meet an 'appropriate' standard, IIRC which could mean anyhting really :rolleyes: Seen everything from genuine old german army to super high tech carbon fibre composite lids being worn without hassle.

It's a combination of both posts here. You can wear an open faced helmet (provided it meets the appropriate standards) but I really wouldn't advise it. It might look cool or trendy or whatever, but like FI said, if you come off, it's goodbye face! At least on a normal helmet, you have a chin-bar to protect yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Squashie

So I'll get away with it then?... Hurray! In that case I'm gonna start planning my outfit. I (and my face) survived crashes intact galore while over there, I can risk it the odd time over here too. I won't drive it much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Man I couldn't ride in a country like that. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That place is crazy for riding a bike. Some laugh I'd say though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

To be legal, any helmet you wear should carry the E mark. This is a circle with a capital E inside and a number.
    The standard you should be looking for is ECE 22.05 which is the latest standard
    I would say that Open face helmets give a great sense of freedom much more so than full face helmets but given the type of weather we get, it would be a very good idea to at least get a lid with an integrated visor, that you can slide out of the way at low speeds.
    Eye protection will be necessary from stones, insects and other crap.
    I think a jet type is probably better for here if you want an open face type.
    I like them, and used one for years with no bad effects apart from riding in rain feeling like needles on the face.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i use a momo design helmet when out and about on the scooter, but have something else when on the bigger bike....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Squashie wrote: »
    So I'll get away with it then?... Hurray! In that case I'm gonna start planning my outfit. I (and my face) survived crashes intact galore while over there, I can risk it the odd time over here too. I won't drive it much.

Much slower average speed on the roads and city's and with the bikes themselves then here. 10km/h can make a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Wossack

I wouldnt wear a helmet without a fixed chinbar

bit of a naff website, but it has the diagram thats of most impact (sic) - http://bmwdean.com/swisher.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement