Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why do cows...

• 09-10-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

moo extremely loudly sometimes, but not always?

This may be a very daft question, but maybe someone can shed some light...We live in the countryside, and one of the farmers from around here has 10 or so cows in the next field over. Most of the time, you don't hear anything, but the past two days (and nights!), those cows have been mooing incessantly - very very loudly. One starts off, then a few more join in, and they keep going.

any ideas? Are they just 'talking' to each other? could they be bored, or hungry, or set off by something else?

Just curious (not complaining about it, just trying to understand since I didn't grow up in the countryside :D)...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

could be there is a dog or 2 in the field causing trouble and disturbing them. They are well used to foxes and generally ignore them but put a strange dog in the field and they will go mad and try get it, especially when there are calves with them. Go have a look today if they are doing it and you might see whats going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

If it was only one cow she could be coming on heat. If it were all of them they could be short of grass and looking for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SmoMo

the same here.i asked the farmer the other day and i was told the bullocks are mooing for food cause they get some special food to fat them up before they are going to the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I'd say theyre looking for more grass/food in general, either that or they've had calfs and they've been taken off them and they're calling for them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

If its a dairy farm then it could be that calfs have been weaned and the heifers are calling for them. Can be a stresful time for the heifer and the calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Probably just looking for some fresh grass or water if they've been in the same field for a prolonged period of time. If they've been with their calves all summer and they've just been seperated could be down to that. Or they might be bulling as well. Any number of reasons tbh, they could be on the way home from a night out a bit worse for wear and think it'll be a laugh to moo very loudly. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Irishchick wrote: »
    If its a dairy farm then it could be that calfs have been weaned and the heifers are calling for them. Can be a stresful time for the heifer and the calf.
    Suckler farm is what you mean. Dairy farms take the calf from the cow soon after it is born or within 3 days of birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

galah wrote: »
    moo extremely loudly sometimes, but not always?

This may be a very daft question, but maybe someone can shed some light...We live in the countryside, and one of the farmers from around here has 10 or so cows in the next field over. Most of the time, you don't hear anything, but the past two days (and nights!), those cows have been mooing incessantly - very very loudly. One starts off, then a few more join in, and they keep going.

any ideas? Are they just 'talking' to each other? could they be bored, or hungry, or set off by something else?

Just curious (not complaining about it, just trying to understand since I didn't grow up in the countryside :D)...
    More then likely their calves are being weaned off them this time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

thanks y'all, very illuminating. Will ask the farmer when I see him, too, just to confirm.

Cheers though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I'd be fairly confident, given the time of year, that its down to weaning ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Always wondered that, cows round here aren't in the field for long and there's plenty of grass for them because it's not over grazed. Think most of them are dairy but looks like some are beef as well. They all seem to do it. Come to think of it they do sound like they're calling for more food, but sometimes there moos sound a bit sad. Probably a combo of both. Pretty chatty cows really, we don't give them enough credit really they're fun to watch and they're super nosey.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Yep this is weaning season, mom has to build up her milk supplies for her next calve due in the next couple of months and the weanlings miss moms warm milk so the cows loo and the calves loo back and on and on it goes :rolleyes: Then in a week or two they forget all about moms milk and all settles down:D

and we can finally get a bit of sleep:P

I do like cows they are so maternal, and if you treat them with respect they do likewise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Always wondered that, cows round here aren't in the field for long and there's plenty of grass for them because it's not over grazed. Think most of them are dairy but looks like some are beef as well. They all seem to do it. Come to think of it they do sound like they're calling for more food, but sometimes there moos sound a bit sad. Probably a combo of both. Pretty chatty cows really, we don't give them enough credit really they're fun to watch and they're super nosey.

They also don't get the credit they deserve for being smart. I remember when I was younger and we were milking cows and keeping calves, I fed this one calf every night for ages. About five years later I was standing in the yard amongst the cows and felt this tugging on my sleeve, turned round, same calf(cow now) and I swear, twas as if she remembered me... very sad day when the father decided to get out of dairy and sold off the dairy stock for beef. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They're gas :D

The dairy cows have a hierarchy among themselves and it goes along the lines of respect thy elder

You can see them lined up ready to be brought in to be milked and it's oldest first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

yup. This time of year our neighbours cows moo for 2-3 nights. Thankfully last night was the third night and mooing was minimal.
    Cows are clever :) We had the best trained cows :D

Advertisement