Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bracket for 4 rail Brooks Saddle

• 09-10-2011 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I have an old four-rail Brooks saddle which I recently purchased and used on my bike for a few weeks.

One of the rails has snapped, so I'm going to look into the possibility of having it welded. Not sure how much that'll cost.

Someone was telling me that there is some sort of bracket which goes between the seatpost and the Brooks saddle which prevents the rails from snapping.

Just wondered if anyone knew anything about such a product and where I can purchase one online?

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

When I was looking to buy a brooks, I saw that people recommended using a certain seatposts like the Syntace P6 (because they offer better support for Brooks not-so-long rails when setback). Otherwise I'm not aware of any go-between bracket for a modern Brooks saddle.

From what I've read, snapping a brooks rail isn't that uncommon either. If it's steel, it should be reasonably cheap to weld. If it were me though, I'd chance asking Brooks for replacement and/or ideas/recommendations - The saddles have a long warranty.

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/spareparts/frames__+brackets__+etc_/
    Metro10 wrote: »
    I have an old four-rail Brooks saddle which I recently purchased and used on my bike for a few weeks.

One of the rails has snapped, so I'm going to look into the possibility of having it welded. Not sure how much that'll cost.

Someone was telling me that there is some sort of bracket which goes between the seatpost and the Brooks saddle which prevents the rails from snapping.

Just wondered if anyone knew anything about such a product and where I can purchase one online?

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

When I was looking to buy a brooks, I saw that people recommended using a certain seatposts like the Syntace P6 (because they offer better support for Brooks not-so-long rails when setback). Otherwise I'm not aware of any go-between bracket for a modern Brooks saddle.

get onto brooks lots of spare parts here
    http://www.brookssaddles.com/catalogue-and-shop/spareparts/frames__+brackets__+etc_/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Metro10

That's a good idea about contacting Brooks. I'll do that and see what they say.

Hadn't heard about the seatpost option before.

I was using Google there, and found this:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brooks-chrome-saddle-clamp-7-8-inch-%28222-mm%29-for-double-rail-byb105-prod25447/

I think possibly that's the sort of clamp the person I was speaking with had in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

How is your saddle currently connected to your seatpost? I have a four-rail Brooks, but it came with the collar in your link.

Is it possible you had a four-rail saddle on a two-rail seatpost?

Any pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Metro10

I bought an old Brooks saddle, so didn't come with that collar. Probably did originally, but not when I purchased it.

I just put it on my seatpost (2-rail) not realising there was supposed to be a collar used as well. So only two of the rails were supported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I wonder if that's the problem- there might be too much stress on the rails?

I know Sheldon Brown recommends using either a seat sandwich on a modern seatpost or a pipe-type post with the clamp you linked to.

Advertisement