Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do when on maternity leave

Options
  • 09-10-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for inspiration on how to pass the time when on maternity leave.
    Although I can imagine I will have my hands fairly full when the baba comes, does anyone have any suggestions of other things to do? Have you been on maternity leave before and how did you pass the time?

The big issue for me is that I am living abroad and won't have my family or friends around me. I am actually starting to dread the thoughts of spending all day at home on my own, with just the baby and the dog for company!

So if anyone can give me any inspiration from past experience etc. I would appreciate it.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mother and toddler groups, bringing the baby swimming (think "they" recommend waiting till the second lot of vaccinations for that though), going for walks... sleeping! For the first couple of weeks, sleep when the baby sleeps, it'll stand to your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

HI

I second all January posted.

I would recommend getting out a bit when on leave just for sanity sake. Some of my friends dont leave house from one end of weke to next but it would crack me up.

Try locating local mother and toddler groups, using net if possible.
    play centre s often have mom n baby hours (gymborree ytpe thing)
    Local parks for much needed fresh air, playground can be great ways to meet people
    Depending on your circumstances there might be value in getting your partner or some one to mind baby while you attend a class of some sort. Just to give you an outlet for yourself. It might not suit you but see how you feel. The same could be said for you and partner going on the odd date..
    Other mom s are fantastic but I really feel that it can turn so competitive at times. But as you are new to your area it could be a fab way to build a support system. Just be wary of the wondermoms whose mission in life is to make other s feel less than.
    Some times shopping centres can have drop in child care for an hour....... Trust me this could save your sanity in a bad day..
    Never underestimate the value of a walk.

I know its an easything to say now but a small baby is so portable and they have to stay where you put them. Please do use this time to get out a bit. I always had baby changing bag packed so leaving the house was not a huge job.

VBest of luck with the baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

In all honesty, depending on how you recover from the birth and how your baby is doing in the early days/nights, some days you'll be lucky to get out of your pjs.

Maternity leave goes ridiculously quickly. If you do find yourself rested & getting cabin fever, go for a walk, etc as previously advised. If your baby does rest well and is easily portable, get out & be social in any way you can. But in all honesty, my mat leaves went by in such a blur (and I live in a remote location w/ no car & a husband who worked each day). I know it seems daunting - the idea of 6 months with "nothing" to do - but you'll take each day for what it brings & be shocked when it ends so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Hi. I remember feeling how you are when my little one was about 2 weeks old and my husband was going back to work. I only work on Saturdays so suddenly had a vision of sitting on the couch watching daytime tv for the next 4 years.

I googled classes in my area I could go to and just having a list of things I could go to everyday really helped even if I didn't go to most of them.

I loved going to mother and baby yoga and now love bringing her swimming.

Out of curiousity when you say you're abroad do you mean you've moved to Ireland or away from Ireland. Probably help with suggesting stuff.

Re the mother and toddler groups, I found mother and new baby groups better. I brought my 3 week old to my local mother and toddler group and scared the crap out of myself. Admittedly I thought it was a mother and baby group so walking into a room filled with 1 to 4 years olds was a bit of a shock. I'll definitely go when she's older. Then I found a new mothers group and loved it because people were dealing with same issues as me or the babas were only a few months older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

To be honest, the first couple of weeks/months are going to be such an adjustment, depending on how you recover from the birth and how much sleep you get, that I would just start small. A little walk in the mornings to get some fresh air for you both and help you feel a little more human. I found getting into a routine so helpful, though that kind of predictability may not be for everyone.

I went to one gymboree class, but to be honest it wasn't for me. I just used it to get a few tips on how to play/work with a newborn, but that happy clappy singing in a group, just wasn't my thing :o

Take one day for yourself, if you can get grandparents, or even your partner to mind the baby at least one day/morning a week, take yourself off for a cup of coffee and a treat and a bit of time for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Thanks all for the suggestions :) Feeling better about it now.
    To the poster who asked - I am living in Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I did a lot of painting and diy and spent ages planning his room, getting testers, researching decorations, hanging pictures etc. It had the added bonus of getting me out to go to paintshops and diy shops.

I also got through a few novels that had been on the long finger for years and got around to sorting out my cds. I'm leaving the photograph sorting until my next maternity leave!

As other posters have said, getting out of the house and/or doing some exercise is great and if you don't know anyone, babies are a great conversation-starter as people are far more open when they see one.

Advertisement