Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM upgrade - best option

Options
  • 09-10-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Apologies if this should be in the laptop section. I have HP Pavillion ZV6000 laptop that is painfully slow. The current spec is AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ 1GB RAM ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 series. It is quite old but I'm wondering if I upgrade the RAM will I see a material improvement in speed?

What upgrade would you recommend, and is there a limit on what RAM can be put into these?

Cheers for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Goto crucial .com and run their scanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

While you can add ram and clean it up, it will improve. But fundamentally that is an old machine. Ram for old machines can be expensive too. I'm finding that top end P4 class machines that are not dual core are really struggling on the web these days. Websites and browsers are much more demanding these days. A low end dual core will perform much better.

If you can stretch to a new machine I'd do that instead. You can get something light years better for 450 ish. If moneys really tight, then its worth adding some ram to that machine. But its dead money so I wouldn't spend much on it.

We have an old single core laptop with a Celeron M360 processor running at 1.6GHz, and 2GB of Ram and it runs ok. But its kept pretty much bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers - yeah it may be wasted money - I have cleaned the pc up as much as is practical and dont do anything intensive on it but it's still a pain. Maybe a new machine may be the best option

thanks for the advice

Advertisement