Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call for participants - mental health portrait..

• 09-10-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Hey all. I know some of you have seen this already, but I thought I'd stick it up here too.

And just a note to say I'm looking for *any one* to get involved. The aim is to start a conversation, so it doesn't matter if you've never been affected. You can still help :)

Also,, if anyone knows a good place to share it (there doesn't seem to be a mental health board here?) can they either let me know or pass it on. Or both :)

From my website: ( http://www.sineadmcdonald.com/firstfortnight.html ):

First Fortnight is an arts-based mental health awareness project who, along with See Change, are organising a 2 week festival of music and visual arts aimed at ending the stigma surrounding mental health issues. The aim is to get people talking about the things that concern themselves and the people they love. I'm very excited to be involved this year, but I need your help!

I'm producing a series of portraits (it's what I love doing most), which will be exhibited for the duration of the festival; the first two weeks in January 2012. I'm looking for people who've been affected by mental health issues in any way, both directly and indirectly (and lets face it - there are very few of us who haven't been..) to sit for me for an informal portrait. Even if you've never been impacted but think it's something we should be talking about, I'd love your help! The project will also incorporate short, anonymous text pieces in the style of the #whatstigma hashtag that's been used on Twitter with such great success. I want to produce a wall of images and text, for really strong visual impact and to act as a starting point for conversation, so I need as many people as possible!

So if you've been affected personally, or someone in your family, or a friend, or if you simply have something to say, please email or PM me as soon as possible so I can come take your picture :)

And if you'd like to produce your own piece of visual art, the organisers are still looking for contributors!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Where are you based Sinead? I'd gladly take part in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I'm in Dublin, but I can travel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Did you try and get in touch with the members of Mad Pride Ireland? I sure you'd get lots participants for your project there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

There was a guy on the John Murray show RTE Radio 1, John McCarthy, interviewed by Kathryn Thomas, who was an inspirational certified mental illness person (or whatever way I should be referring to him). Actually, just realised now it was the mad pride people.

He was so inspirational to listen to. It's not every morning that I sit in the car waiting to hear every word being said of an interview before going into work. He was just so uplifting to listen to, had such a wonderful take on mental illness and life generally.

I bet if you could make contact that he'd be a fantastic subject - if not to get a picture, simply to listen to.

Interview here - John starts at 21mins 30secs in.

As if he hasn't had a most curious and interesting existence leading to a most unusually brilliant outlook on things, he has been diagnosed with terminal illness. His honesty is truly remarkable. Have a listen and see what you think. I would think if he's available he'd be your man (or one of them).

And while were at it, here's another by John McCarthy where he reads from his column in the Cork Independent where he talks about his battle with Motor Neuron Disease. ‘I’m dying’ Life and Love by John McCarthy

• Advertisement

I met John Friday, in Limerick for a Headway Ball - He won a photoshoot with me to fundraise for em, in an action :P Great guy!

I'm based in Limerick Sinead, if you are around this area any weekend. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    There was a guy on the John Murray show RTE Radio 1, John McCarthy, interviewed by Kathryn Thomas, who was an inspirational certified mental illness person (or whatever way I should be referring to him). Actually, just realised now it was the mad pride people.

He was so inspirational to listen to. It's not every morning that I sit in the car waiting to hear every word being said of an interview before going into work. He was just so uplifting to listen to, had such a wonderful take on mental illness and life generally.

I bet if you could make contact that he'd be a fantastic subject - if not to get a picture, simply to listen to.

Interview here - John starts at 21mins 30secs in.

As if he hasn't had a most curious and interesting existence leading to a most unusually brilliant outlook on things, he has been diagnosed with terminal illness. His honesty is truly remarkable. Have a listen and see what you think. I would think if he's available he'd be your man (or one of them).

The best bit of Radio I have listened to in a very long time.

This is a superb iniative Sinead and I wish you every success. Think you should post this in a few forums. People are becoming a bit more aware of these issues and I hope they come forward for you. Good luck with it.

A mental health portrait? You must be mad!?

:P

Seriously though, best of luck, but I'm curious, what are your photos going to be like? Are you gonna try and theme them? Are you wanting happy go lucky people? Really sad looking photos? Passport style photos?

I remember when I did a FAS course a few years ago, the place we did it was part of a youth centre and they had leaflets on all sorts of things. There was a great one, i thought. It was about depression, but the leaflets came with a few posters (so they could hang them in the window, or on the walls or such).

The posters, I'd say, just larger than A4 in size, each were a photograph, with a caption under it saying "Suicide is obvious. Depression is not." (or something to that affect) and the photos were of random things.

For example, one was of a guy in a motorbike race (the photo was of the bike going around a corner, and the guy on it suited up. Something very similar to this;

International+German+Motorbike+Championship+48XAju6HVIfl.jpg

(that's not the actual photo, I just took that from a google search).

Then the other photos were of completely different, and random things.

I realise this has nothing whatsoever got to do with the thread anymore, but I just thought it was interesting and this thread made me think of it, so... thought I'd ramble on :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

I'm just after hearing John McCarthy (Mad Pride) on a radio show I listen to in work - he was highly skeptical and critical of money being spent on mental health awareness - particularly aimed at young people and teenagers. Having heard him speak before I was very disappointed to hear him speaking like that...

More to the point - I think the portrait and text idea is great! Definitely a powerful one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Creativity , whether in music, writing or photography has often been close to some form of unsane behaviour - whether depression, addiction or alcoholism - normality can often lack the extreme expression of such emotional pain - when i stopped drinking, i sank into a horrible depression , and yet I needed some creative outlet, however simple - Emotional imbalance does not guarantee, creativity , and even if it did , i would prefer my mind any day, every day

so it is great that Art can repay and attempt to change the stigma attached to modern mental health problems - particularly as suicide has become such a scourge of modern Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

This will seem like a rather stupid question, but how will a portrait convey exposure to a mental health problem? Or is it the 'everyday' face of it you're promoting?

TelePaul wrote: »
    This will seem like a rather stupid question, but how will a portrait convey exposure to a mental health problem? Or is it the 'everyday' face of it you're promoting?

It's more a typology thing. Think Thomas Ruff, but with facial expressions :)

I think it's important to restress though that this is for everyone. It's about mental health, not mental illness. And i still need sitters!

Maybe something like this....
    mad-men-774578.jpg?w=400&h=300

Or even Johnny... :eek:
    Printing-Makes-You-Crazy-205x300.jpg

sineadw wrote: »

I think it's important to restress though that this is for everyone. It's about mental health, not mental illness. And i still need sitters!

If you can get to limerick, I can get a group!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I'll gladly participate. I can PM you further details when I've more time.

sineadw wrote: »

If you can get to limerick, I can get a group!

I can get to limerick :) when you say group, would they be willing to sit individually? And how many?

They all would yes, Well I can find out tomorrow and see if you'd like! I'm sure I can defo say about 4, possibly up to 7 or 8? Maybe more! :)

They all would yes, Well I can find out tomorrow and see if you'd like! I'm sure I can defo say about 4, possibly up to 7 or 8? Maybe more! :)

The more the better to justify the travel. Brilliant :)

Exactly why I said I'd try and get a group! :D We'll even get you a coffee! I'll be finding out in a few whos up for it!

Update :

I'm now in full production mode with this, and still desperately need sitters! I can accomodate all times, and if there's a group i'm happy to travel :) You'll get a rough idea of what the images will look like from this rough test shot I took yesterday..

555B4F5BD1974034A2A609A14888BA46-0000314425-0002602387-00800L-1C976400B25043F2A8AE4F2A7371B744.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I'm in, Pm me

sent :)

I'll be shooting this weekend in Walkinstown if anyone's about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I'll gladly help, in work all weekend. Off thursday and friday mind you

And another one :)

E5E840437A4447FC8AAB0CA3A5076214-0000314425-0002602500-00800L-E1E043097C8549F3BD0945980E4F50BB.jpg

One more :) Hopefully these will give everyone an idea of what I'm doing.

E90A1BA5507F4A979ECC916649A53EA0-0000314425-0002602501-00800L-7797FDF46D624FC88EBD0FC5B3539914.jpg

Few more :) And yes, you can smile!

217AE14BEB7248858177E19FE17A734E-0000314425-0002604942-00800L-CBDCB467C5BC44BCA2B8D95066DA708D.jpg

3025195B1341495FA579C94723B2CBC8-0000314425-0002604961-00800L-50E9CDFABEC747ED85DB0DD35D8A3C0A.jpg

I've sent emails and PMs around to all who've said they'd sit this weekend, but as you can imagine, the logistics of 100 portraits is of the scale (and I'm terrible at organising things), so if you signed up but haven't heard from me then please get in touch!

Oh, and if anyone would like to work as my PA for free, let me know ;) :pac:

Went down yesterday, had a great time! Didnt take long at all, spent more time chatting than anything else. Anyone who is sitting on the fence about this should give sinead a shout, its good fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Agree. Haven't seen todays results of me yet but it definitely didn't hurt and I'm looking forward to the exhibition. Should have the impact to viewers that is intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

If you still need sitters I can pop by some evening next week?

Ms populars PM inbox is full so I'll just post this here instead.

I can resit, tuesday/wednesday, or anytime the coming weekend or monday! No problem for me, if you think something in my set is usable then choose the best, if you think you'll lose marks on the lighting or focus then let me know :)

Ms populars PM inbox is full so I'll just post this here instead.

I can resit, tuesday/wednesday, or anytime the coming weekend or monday! No problem for me, if you think something in my set is usable then choose the best, if you think you'll lose marks on the lighting or focus then let me know :)

Inbox cleared :) Nah it's grand - focus is fine in most of them. Just me being picky..

Cork_girl wrote: »
    If you still need sitters I can pop by some evening next week?

PM on the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Misstaken

Just saw my photos hon, apart from my bags under my eyes they are lovely :p i will get that written up for you asap.
    Thanks so much, very worthy cause x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Popped out today to get mine taken - have to say, it's simples and if you're sitting on the fence about it, take the step and go for it.

It's a great project and thanks to Sinead for taking it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

Perfectly painless experience! And biscuits provided too! Props to your glamorous assistant too :D

Talking my mum into doing it and bringing her twin sister - will report back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd volunteer my face, only i'd be doing it more to see a good sitting portrait of me than to be able to help in any way. i've no special insight into mental illness, despite any outward appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Popped out today to get mine taken - have to say, it's simples and if you're sitting on the fence about it, take the step and go for it.

It's a great project and thanks to Sinead for taking it on.

Completely agree. I hate being photographed, but it was a simple and enjoyable experience with Sinead, love my portrait. Get off the fence, get on the stool and get photographed!

i'd volunteer my face, only i'd be doing it more to see a good sitting portrait of me than to be able to help in any way. i've no special insight into mental illness, despite any outward appearances.

No special insights required :) you just have to want things to change..

I've just hit 50 sitters this weekend, but new sitter requests have slowed RIGHT down, so if you do want to help please get in touch! An update, details and some more examples are at http://www.sineadmcdonald.com/news.html :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Can you set up to take portraits at the book launch? Bound to coerce a few sitters there. :)
    If not then PM me and we'll make arrangments to meet up somewhere else.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Would be waaaaaay too crowded to work unfortunately :(

Advertisement