Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much per hour?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

How much was your tattoo per hour / What was the artist charging per hour?

Just want to see what the average price is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Would you not be better getting a few quotes from artists?

The rate can vary depending on the piece, amount of time needed, etc. I'd say the average rate would be about 100e/hour. I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

chin_grin wrote: »
    Would you not be better getting a few quotes from artists?

The rate can vary depending on the piece, amount of time needed, etc. I'd say the average rate would be about 100e/hour. I think.

I have a quote just want to see what is average is.

The bit in bold is what I am looking for, If 100e is average then I will be happy with the quote I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

DMG_49 wrote: »
    I have a quote just want to see what is average is.

The bit in bold is what I am looking for, If 100e is average then I will be happy with the quote I got.

1 thing im gona say about cheap , tattoo's ,
    you get what you pay for just keep that in mind

antocann wrote: »
    1 thing im gona say about cheap , tattoo's ,
    you get what you pay for just keep that in mind

Don't worry, something I always keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Anywhere from €70-100 is about the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I don't get this per hour stuff!

I go to my artist, ask how much it'll be, gives me a price I pay said price.

Both knees for 280 quid and about 5.5-6.5 hours work including free handing them on.

I don't get this per hour stuff!

I go to my artist, ask how much it'll be, gives me a price I pay said price.

Both knees for 280 quid and about 5.5-6.5 hours work including free handing them on.

It's not that hard... If an artist is unsure on how long something will take, he might give you a price per hour and say it might take about 5-6 hours etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

70 - 100 is what I would have said aswell. I know Spilled Ink charge 80 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

my back took about 5-6 hours , cost me 400 , wich is a fare price for the work
    also got tag team tattood during it , was sweet but painfull hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Remis has quoted me €150 per hour for my piece in March, though his assistant in the shop said it would be €100 per hour. Not sure whether to question it or not. I don't mind paying €150 p/h, but I'm also not sure why it's more expensive than his usual rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Remis has quoted me €150 per hour for my piece in March, though his assistant in the shop said it would be €100 per hour. Not sure whether to question it or not. I don't mind paying €150 p/h, but I'm also not sure why it's more expensive than his usual rate.

Sounds like he either doesnt want to do your piece or is trying to rip you off.

€150 an hour is a ridiculous rate IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

the tattooist who is doing the majority of my work now charges 150 an hour, and i am fine with that.

i know i am paying above the odds in comparison with most people around me (esp once you factor in the flights and accomodation....), but this is the person i want to wear the work from until i die.

i don't regret a cent, and my tattoos are the carefully chosen expression of who i am on every level. i paid less than that is worth.

so, in summary - if your tattooist can make you feel like that, go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

the tattooist who is doing the majority of my work now charges 150 an hour, and i am fine with that.

i know i am paying above the odds in comparison with most people around me (esp once you factor in the flights and accomodation....), but this is the person i want to wear the work from until i die.

i don't regret a cent, and my tattoos are the carefully chosen expression of who i am on every level. i paid less than that is worth.

deffo agree! last tattoo I got in London, so flights back and forth as well, 4 sessions. He charges per session instead of per hour so I'm not exactly sure what the hourly rate, but twas expensive overall, but soooo worth it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I agree to a point. And the subject of price has been wrote about before. My opinion on it is that some artists deserve it, some don't and chance their arm and maybe take the customer for a fool which would seem to be the case here. Guy aitchison charges somewhere around 300 dollars an hour. Not sure what shige charges exactly but he ain't cheap either. These 2 have distinctive styles and huge talent that warrant additional charges. Remis is good no doubt just not € 150 good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Victorr Portugal along with the rest of the Tattooists in Krakow
    charge €150 a day at the most.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tattoos-by-Victor-Portugal/203857544582

Unlike Most of the so called artists here he is a proper Tattooist:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Victorr Portugal along with the rest of the Tattooists in Krakow
    charge €150 a day at the most.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tattoos-by-Victor-Portugal/203857544582

Unlike Most of the so called artists here he is a proper Tattooist:D

Sorry, horse****. A friend just came back from a full day session with mr Portugal. 600 for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jamin2011

I got a quote from an artist in waterford for the cross with wings from david beckhams neck, lookin for 300, expensive i think, what you guys think?

Diceicle wrote: »
    Sounds like he either doesnt want to do your piece or is trying to rip you off.

€150 an hour is a ridiculous rate IMO.

He seemed quite enthusiastic about it, so I don't think it's that he doesn't want to do it.

His work is superb by any standards (IMO), and even though I know it's steep, I'd prefer to get ripped off for an excellent piece than pay less for a mediocre piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Sorry, horse****. A friend just came back from a full day session with mr Portugal. 600 for the day.

he must of changed since I was there last march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

He seemed quite enthusiastic about it, so I don't think it's that he doesn't want to do it.

His work is superb by any standards (IMO), and even though I know it's steep, I'd prefer to get ripped off for an excellent piece than pay less for a mediocre piece.
    I reckon I'd be enthusiastic If I could get anybody to pay me 150 an hour for anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Hmm, not wanting to start an argument, but getting tattoo done by Remis myself next Feb. He said it'd be 4-5hrs in the chair costing between E400 - E500 depending how long it takes.

My calculation that he's charging E100 an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

when i got my day of the dead skull done by anna in nine lives i sat for the first sitting which was 3and half hours and she charged me 100euro and the same for the second sitting which was on for hour and half

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

I got a small enough tattoo in zulu a couple of years back. I was told they charge a minimum rate of €80 and then depending on the piece, it goes up. Since mine was small, they left it at 80 for me

Now I'm not sure whether to maybe query it.... just to ask why the rate is €150 per hour when the usual seems to be €100. The one thing I don't want to do is piss him off, and to have that show in the tattoo though.

Is it worth mentioning? :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Now I'm not sure whether to maybe query it.... just to ask why the rate is €150 per hour when the usual seems to be €100. The one thing I don't want to do is piss him off, and to have that show in the tattoo though.

Is it worth mentioning? :-/

He might actually give you a genuine, reasonable and maybe quite interesting answer, if he's not offended. But I can't see it altering the price.

He might actually give you a genuine, reasonable and maybe quite interesting answer, if he's not offended. But I can't see it altering the price.

I actually don't mind if the price stays the same, as long as there's a reason. I just hate the thought of paying 1/3 more than others, and not knowing why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Did he say the piece would be €150 an hour or the piece itself will cost 'x' amount and take 'x' amount of hours and you are calcalating it at €150 an hour yourself?

Dancor wrote: »
    Did he say the piece would be €150 an hour or the piece itself will cost 'x' amount and take 'x' amount of hours and you are calcalating it at €150 an hour yourself?

In the email he said he charges €150 per hour, should take about 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Dancor wrote: »

In the email he said he charges €150 per hour, should take about 3 hours.

Expensive, but its on for life I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I got a quote off Dublin Ink for 110 an hour, my piece will take 5-6 hours, would hope to get it done in one session.

Advertisement