Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarify and overseed lawn

Options
  • 09-10-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭

Is it too late to scarify my lawn and overseed it with grass this week ?

I gave my mature lawn an extensive going over this spring.
    I scarified it in late April and overseeded the bare patches .I applied fertiliser and weedkiller at a later stage .
    However due to the very dry weather we had at the time,the grass didnt grow very well and now it looks poor again .

My main problem is that I have very large trees (100ft) growing at the edge of the garden and the roots are extending well into the lawn and draining it of nutrition .
    They are on the north side of the lawn so they dont affect the sunlight.

I spent alot of time trying to improve the lawn but it seems to be back to its old condition again.
    I was considering another round of scarification and overseeding this week but should I wait until the spring or do it now ?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Normally at this time of year grass growth would be all but finished by now but it is still going with this remarkably warm spell. Even so, my guess is that seeding would be wasted now. I don't think there is much point in scarifying either, until all the leaves are down. Personally, I would wait until the spring to carry out remedial measures.
    Tree roots are a challenge for a lawn - you might have to consider bringing in top soil next spring to have any chance of a decent looking lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Zardoz

slowburner wrote: »
    Normally at this time of year grass growth would be all but finished by now but it is still going with this remarkably warm spell. Even so, my guess is that seeding would be wasted now. I don't think there is much point in scarifying either, until all the leaves are down. Personally, I would wait until the spring to carry out remedial measures.
    Tree roots are a challenge for a lawn - you might have to consider bringing in top soil next spring to have any chance of a decent looking lawn.
    Thanks for that advice slowburner ,very helpful,I will leave the work until next March or April when the frost dissipates.

The tree roots are all under ground ,there are none showing on the surface but they are definitely affecting the grass.
    I might do some aerating in the spring and add some extra top soil to see if that helps.

Advertisement