Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple monitor gaming. Possible with different size monitors?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

First off this rig isnt completely built yet, so this will help me decide on a couple of things.

I have a 22" (1680x1050) and a 19" (1440x900) and i want to do some triple monitor gaming. I was origionally going to get two more 22" monitors, but i was unpleasantly surprised when I found that you need a very high end rig to manage it.

So now Im thinking, i already have a 19 inch, so if i get another, that might work.

So my question is, can i use the 22" along with the two 19" on either side for gaming? Could i reduce the resolution of the main monitor to match the others? I have no problem with black bars at the top.
    Will the rig have a problem running games like BF3 @ultra at a total of 4320x900

My specs are (will be):

i5 2500k (or FX-8150 pending benchmarks :) )
    Gigabyte 560ti OC SLI x2 (1GB each) (total 4 DVI ports, 2 mini-hdmi.)
    8GB ram
    Antec 620w PSU

P.s. I havnt bought the second 560ti yet. Could i pull off this resolution with just the one temporarily? *hopeful* :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Deffo dont bother with one for sure.

Normally people talk eyefinity for this kinda stuff, know nothing about doing it with the green team.

Really, if you arent gonna splash for a full big rig, is it really worth doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

To run three screens with nvidia cards you need two gpu's. So far only amd can run 3 screen gaming on one gpu. Also as far as I know once you keep the monitors the same resolution you can use the 3 different size screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

deceit wrote: »
    To run three screens with nvidia cards you need two gpu's. So far only amd can run 3 screen gaming on one gpu. Also as far as I know once you keep the monitors the same resolution you can use the 3 different size screens.

And this is important why? Even with a 6970, JC2 maxed out over three 19x12 screens, and you're looking at 25-30 FPS. Wooptie-f**king-do. You need a multi-GPU setup to run three monitors playably anyway, so it's a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Avose

Really, if you arent gonna splash for a full big rig, is it really worth doing?

ofcourse it is! :) I want to have the immersion factor. I prefer surround monitors Vs. one big one at, say 2560x1200.
    Plus this PC may not be the most powerful out there ( I have a budget! ) but it ain't no pushover either.

No triple monitors until I have the second card then... Pity, means I'll have to gather another ~€200 somewhere.
    But once I have it, the two 19" and the 22" should play nice @1440x900 each?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Serephucus wrote: »
    And this is important why? Even with a 6970, JC2 maxed out over three 19x12 screens, and you're looking at 25-30 FPS. Wooptie-f**king-do. You need a multi-GPU setup to run three monitors playably anyway, so it's a moot point.
    I think he was just saying that so as to confirm that the OP has to get the second 560ti if he goes down the 3 monitor route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Serephucus wrote: »

I play all my titles at 6096x1200 and get more or less solid 60FPS with my SINGLE 6970.

I have gone the dual gpu route and realised it was overkill, so went back to single GPU. If I recall correctly, Just Cause 2 rand at a very smooth 50+ fps with my 6970 at the eyefinity resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Serephucus, I have a 6970 and Just Cause 2 and I never had an issue with it at Eyefinity resolutions. Granted, I had to turn AA down, but thats about it.

I also play all my other games fine with the exception of Metro 2033 and Battlefield 3

Serephucus, I have a 6970 and Just Cause 2 and I never had an issue with it at Eyefinity resolutions. Granted, I had to turn AA down, but thats about it.

I also play all my other games fine with the exception of Metro 2033 and Battlefield 3
    This would be the same for me running 5760*1200. Only games I have problems with are the two mentioned by fatal exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

deceit wrote: »
    I was asking about this in the computer forum but got no reply. I thought I could just plug a 3rd display into my card (geforce GTX 460) and have 3 displays.

I wasn't going to do surround monitors though I was going to get a projector for TV watching and gaming (on just the one screen).

I'm definitely getting the projector (which will also be in 3D) and I'm just wondering will I just run two displays as the projector won't be on all the time so I could switch between the the two second displays.

Another card may be pretty expensive just for the convenience.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I was asking about this in the computer forum but got no reply. I thought I could just plug a 3rd display into my card (geforce GTX 460) and have 3 displays.

I wasn't going to do surround monitors though I was going to get a projector for TV watching and gaming (on just the one screen).

I'm definitely getting the projector (which will also be in 3D) and I'm just wondering will I just run two displays as the projector won't be on all the time so I could switch between the the two second displays.

Another card may be pretty expensive just for the convenience.
    Yea its pretty easy just to go into settings and switch which will be your dual monitor to use. That will work with one card.

Advertisement