Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive-Thru in Mullingar?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I moved to Mullingar a couple of months ago, so I'm not totally clued up on what is where and if certain things are there or not.

I'm feeling lazy, and feel like grabbing something from a take-out joint. I would order a pizza, but unfortunatley I live just outside of town so they don't deliver here :(

Does anyone know of any drive-thru places in or near Mullingar? The closest place I can think of is the Super-Mac like 20min up the N4 :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

no drive thrus in Mullingar
    which is unusual because smaller towns have them...

However, you cannot beat the 'any pizza €10' deal in apache. just ring ahead and collect.
    same with most of the chippers. Roma take an age to cook the food so most people tend to avoid them.

you really are lazy if u cannot get out of the car to get the food!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

I was chatting to with a colleague and he was saying that apparently KFC tried to open up a drive-thru in Mullingar and that the council blocked it. Something to do with it being anti-competitive.

If that is the case, it makes no sense. Stopping anti-competitive behaviour should not equate to stopping development all together. If KFC wants to open up a drive-thru and starts taking business from other joints in town, then the other joints should start upping their game...and in the end the consumer benefits...which is kind of how a western economy is supposed to work....or am I missing something?

He also said that a while back a company wanted to open a cinema in the centre of town but they were blocked too :( Is there some sort of dymanic to the town that I am unaware of, or is the guy I was talking to spinning tales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

the cinema was originally in town where Wilfs is...
    if KFC wanted to open I doubt they would be stopped
    there are plenty of chippers as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Red Sauce

As far as I remember the KFC was to be in Lakepoint and ran contrary to the town development plan which prohibited retail developments outside the town centre that would draw shoppers away. (This came in after Lakepoint opened). I remember seeing plans for that development in Blackhall where they proposed the new cinema. I think it was rejected a few times as they didn't have enough parking space, and the fact that the roads around Mount St/Sunday's Well Rd etc would need serious upgrading to cope with the extra traffic it would hope to bring in. That and the recession that is...

Also, mate, get out of the car and walk into the damn chipper! It's literally the least you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

Red Sauce wrote: »
    It's literally the least you can do.

Challenge accepted :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement