Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good steak in city centre, anyone got tips?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I've been living here for quite some time now, but so far didn't find any steakhouse worth mentioning, I live on the northside, Dublin 1.

Anyone got any tips or suggestions for a lovely steak?

Cheerz,

Etcpub

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Just off the top of my head, my top 3 starting with the best would be:

Pearl Brasserie
    One Pico
    Marco Pierre White

• Registered Users Posts: 22 etcpub

Whereabouts are they?
    And are any of them reasonably priced? ;)

Pearl is on Upper Merrion Street. Their menu changes but last time I was there I had the steak and it as around €30.

One Pico is on Schoolhouse Lane (just off Molesworth Street). They're around the €30-€35 range, but they have a VERY good Pre-Theatre 2-Course for €26.00 - the steak is a €7 supplement but WELL worth it.

Marco Pierre White Steakhouse is on Dawson Street. They definitely have the biggest selection, 3 cuts and 6 or 7 methods/sauces and a range from €25-€35

Thanks for the reply Freudian, was idealy looking for something around 15-20€, seeing that some friends are joining that are still studying :)
    So it would be a good steak at good value what I'm looking for, doesn't even need to be a restaurant, can even be a pub.

Cheerz,

etcpub

People seem to like FXB, I don't particularly; but I think they're still over the price range.

hm, I quite like Ely Gastropub in the South Docklands. They have a €21.50 8oz steak and that steak is also on their 2 course pre-theatre menu for €23.50

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I really don't like FXB. Thought the food was ok, nothing out of this world like but what actually I think is a complete turn off is the picture of a woman on the walls wearing a necklace consisting of cows tongues. Blood thirsty family indeed.

My back is still okay, although the massagedoes look tempting ;)

:rolleyes:

etcpub wrote: »
    My back is still okay, although the massagedoes look tempting ;)

:rolleyes:
    The link goes to "Two Steak Dinners With Sides and Prosecco for €28 at Frankie & Johnnies Steak House (Up to €69.90 Value)" does it not?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

FXB - best steak outside Shanahans at a fraction of the price

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    My problem with FXB is that it's an "American style" steakhouse. That almost always means char-grilled and tasteless.

I guess I just prefer the French style. :o

I agree with Freud, a nice baked steak with a nice garlic flavour to it is way better than charcoal grilled

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The last time I was in The Boxty House they did a damn fine steak for around €18.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Zascar wrote: »

Darwins! Better than Shanahans by a long shot and half the price!

www.darwins.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have been in FXB's on Pembroke Street 4 times in the past 2 years - last occasion being just last weekend.

The first two visits were very good, the third was extremely disappointing and last weekend was top class. If I remember correctly, I got the 14oz fillet and the rest of the guys that I was with either got the fillet or he largest ribeye (the one of the bone).

It was a group of 11 and there wasn't one bad word. One of the guys have been in Shanahan's the night before and while he didn't think FXB's was quite as good, he was still a happy chap.

For me, this is is my fav steak place once you factor in value for money:

http://www.hangedmans.ie/

25 euro early menu from Monday to Friday - includes the 5oz fillet. There is a 5 euro supplement for the larger steaks. Really nice place, great staff, a great pint and super food!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Darwins! Better than Shanahans by a long shot and half the price!

www.darwins.ie

Strange, was very disappointed after my two visits.

It's not in Dublin.
    Strange, was very disappointed after my two visits.

Even stranger, you went again after a disappointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

One of the nicest I've had was in The Admiral on Marlborough street. Great Russian place; try the wild baby boar as well. Great prices too

sf80 wrote: »
    One of the nicest I've had was in The Admiral on Marlborough street. Great Russian place; try the wild baby boar as well. Great prices too

Ah... nice one, sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I got an amazing steak sandwich in that boat on the liffey.

• Advertisement

I got an amazing steak sandwich in that boat on the liffey.

ALL food tastes amazing on a boat! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I always get a good steak in the kingfisher in parnel street....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Larder on Parliament Street does a steak night a couple of times a week. Great steak, with chips, for €10 as long as you buy something, anything, else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Try La maison or L'Geueleton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

JD's Steakhouse in Terenue is excellent and they do a 3 course earlybird for 18 euro..including a starter of baby ribs.

Lovely grub and very affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Degsy wrote: »
    JD's Steakhouse in Terenue is excellent and they do a 3 course earlybird for 18 euro..including a starter of baby ribs.

Lovely grub and very affordable.

Yeah, I tried that place a while back. Nice and casual, well worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Had good steak in Buenos Aires grill before

Thou there website appears to be dead:
    http://www.buenosairesgrill.ie/

They still there anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ur2008

Had good steak in Buenos Aires grill before

Thou there website appears to be dead:
    http://www.buenosairesgrill.ie/

They still there anyone ?

Yes they are still there, i live nearby...
    i agree with you on this one, they do good steak :)

another place called: Cafe Carlo in O'Connell st, steak on a stone, the best steak ever, strongly recommended. got a voucher of boards deal once and tried it out, it's was just an amazing steak you can ever get

here's their website:
    http://www.cafecarlo.net/steakmenu.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

ur2008 wrote: »
    Yes they are still there, i live nearby...
    i agree with you on this one, they do good steak :)

another place called: Cafe Carlo in O'Connell st, steak on a stone, the best steak ever, strongly recommended. got a voucher of boards deal once and tried it out, it's was just an amazing steak you can ever get

here's their website:
    http://www.cafecarlo.net/steakmenu.html

Thanks -as happens I walked by there yesterday and saw them open :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I had a surprisingly good steak in Captain America's on Grafton Street on Sunday. Cost about 20 quid I think..

Advertisement