Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time setting up a studio

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Great advice wmc ,any chance you could post a pic of set-up to give us a more visual idea of your set-up...thx

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

I'll be sure to do that the next time I have it set up but for now heres a mock up of what I mean.

177639.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gbarry

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

gbarry wrote: »

It all depends, what has you gunning for Continuous lights? (Maybe have a second read of what ValueInIreland has already posted above)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

hoganpoly wrote: »
    Thanks Dave, I remember a thread from yourself re studio etc and found it most helpful,think I will invest in the hi-lite as most people wanting portraits etc want you to call to them in the comfort of their own home,I found setting up stands with cloth backdrop too cumbersome and i was knackered by the time i got shooting:), will a 3 light system work for groups using the hi-lite as i have 3 d-lites studio lights thx

a single light will be fine in the smaller one, depending on the groups size sometimes a single light running at say f13 ish you can create a bit of a hot spot in the highlite

so sometimes its better to use 2 lights, also the added bonus of 2 lights its those stands for the lights will add to the support of holding up the highlite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

oshead wrote: »
    lol... Silly me too... For not thinking you would automatically associate Paddy & Barker Photographic with ValueInIreland. Though I did mention to him previously on another thread that he should be more transparent about his identity while giving out advise and recommending products. Much the same way Steve (stcstc) does at 360-dpi.com.

whoa there, dont bring me into it :-)

but actually i dont see anything wrong with what paddy has posted, its actually good advice

Also having dealt with paddy over the past couple of years, he do give good advice, i have a few times got useful advice from him on bits of kit etc

and you know what, i am happy there are still suppliers like him around, that you can actually ring up and get to talk to someone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about, unlike a lot of the online suppliers that do tend to be hard to talk to and call centre type staff

i do think as a large group of photographers here,we should encourage people, not instantly put them down like early in the post, we should also support local suppliers, else companies like mine or gunns will disappear in favour of faceless online places

sorry - end rant, but i do get frustrated with a good bit of negativitiy here at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I agree with you Steve. I've bought a lot of gear of Barker Photographic over the years. I find their prices to be very reasonable. I'm not saying or accusing anyone of deception. IMO it would be better for him if he let it be known, either before hand or in a sig that he is in fact Paddy Barker or one of his staff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I stand by my earlier advice.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Before investing in a Home Studio I would think it would be a good idea to hire some studio time and get used to setting up various lighting effects and backgrounds.

AFAIK these will mainly use quality Strobes and Modifiers. You will learn how to set up various lighting effects. This way you will work out what items you need for your home studio.

I did not get answers from the OP to these
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Are you fully conversant with your camera on Manual?

Do you think in F Stops to set various light levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gbarry

Ok, after a few phone calls and a lot of reading i think this is what i am going for....

http://www.barkerphotographic.ie/products.php?id=1349

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

gbarry wrote: »
    Ok, after a few phone calls and a lot of reading i think this is what i am going for....

http://www.barkerphotographic.ie/products.php?id=1349

It's a good choice, though you've gone way over budget. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement