Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading V brakes

• 09-10-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I`m looking for advice, currently i have Teckro V brakes, they stop fine on the road, but want something better (buying new bike not an option), so i though maybe upgrade the brakes. i`ve read that Avid are the business so i was thinking this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22385

what do ye think: what pads do you recommend? note that yesterday went to ballyhoura done the blue trail :) and the last 10km had no brakes (the were brand new when i started).

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Ballyhouras are very heavy on standard rim brakes, i reckon it's the type of grit up there. Anyway, what sort of bike have you ? Can you upgrade to discs?

T

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

this is the bike except for them wheels

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/2515424

i dont think this bike would be able to take disc brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

i went through a set of blocks in ballyhoura aswell, and promptly upgraded to disks. New hubs, disks, calipers required. not the cheapest option.

I dont think the frame/forks you posted will take disks tho. There should be mounting points on the forks and the non drive side chainstay. I cant see any on that picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

All I would change is the brake pads themselves, maybe get a decent set of Shimano pads. There is no point in wasting money upgrading bits and pieces on that bike, and even if you changed the calipers to something better/more expensive, you won't really notice much of a difference what with the level of the other components.

yeah dont really think i could fit disc brakes on this forks.
    but would replace the brakes calipers for this ones
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22385
    would really make a difference?

how much did it cost the your disc conversion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

A front disc wheel conversion on a bike like that would cost in abouts min €200.
    New Suntour fork with disc tabs- avg €80
    New disc front wheel - €70
    Mechanical disc brake - €40
    Cables etc €5

A waste of time/money on that bike, try getting a second hand better quality MTB. (I hope you didn't pay €450 for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even at the cheap end, Tektro are known for quality parts. So the brakes you have at the moment should be adequate.

Before you go spending money on new brakes which might have no effect, try replacing the pads with something good and getting someone who knows about brakes to tune them up.

didnt pay 400 for the bike at all.
    thanks for the replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

seamus wrote: »
    try replacing the pads with something good and getting someone who knows about brakes to tune them up.
    This would be my advice too. Long time since I used V-Brakes but something like these should give an improvement over the standard pads.
    The cartridge systems are good because you can just slide in a new pad without having to set everything up again.

That reminds me, need some some new disc pads myself. The grit in ballyhouras is pretty abrasive alright, found the same in other parts of Cork and Kerry too.

langdang wrote: »
    This would be my advice too. Long time since I used V-Brakes but something like these should give an improvement over the standard pads.
    The cartridge systems are good because you can just slide in a new pad without having to set everything up again.

That reminds me, need some some new disc pads myself. The grit in ballyhouras is pretty abrasive alright, found the same in other parts of Cork and Kerry too.

thanks just bought that

• Advertisement
Advertisement