Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving notice + deposit

Options
  • 09-10-2011 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I have already explained this on another thread a while back but I need another bit of advice! :rolleyes:
    I am due to give another months rent tomorrow (I've lived in the room I am renting for a month now) but I want to give my notice because I am unhappy living there. The thing is I can't move out tomorrow or anytime soon because I don't have anywhere else to go so I was going to ask my landlord to use my deposit for this months rent until I find somewhere else to go. Does this sound ok? Is this about right for people to do? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

dont ask
    give your notice and say you'll be late this month and never pay it
    it would take longer than a month to evict you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The purpose of the deposit is to rectify any damage over and above normal wear and tear, full stop. A landlord may agree to treat your deposit as your final month's rent- he or she is under no obligation to do so however- and would be seriously exposing themselves were they to do so.

With respect of the other suggestion above- essentially not to pay the rent, let the landlord evict you etc- totally aside from the ethics involved- a PRTB case would be initiated to evict you- which is a public record, and this could be held against you at some future point in time (not necessarily related to renting property). If you have no other options open to you whatsoever- you need to communicate this to the landlord- and if this means formal eviction proceeding proceed- so be it. Not paying the rent and then doing a legger at some stage during eviction proceedings- really is irresponsible in the extreme, not to mention immoral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

mary_hayes wrote: »
    Is this about right for people to do?

No, it's not right, because any damage you have done or will do over the next month can't be fixed using money from your deposit (because it will no longer exist).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

dont ask
    give your notice and say you'll be late this month and never pay it
    it would take longer than a month to evict you

no it wouldnt the OP is renting a room. Therefore the landlord can pack her crap up and dump it out on the street without any notice. She is a licencee and has ZERO rights.

OP give your notice pay your rent and find somewhere new. Its a simple concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Don't ask, just tell the landlord to use your deposit for the last month rent. Don't listen to the usual silly advice on here. All idiots stating that you've no right to do this etc etc. Everybody does it, think about yourself first and foremost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

D3PO wrote: »
    no it wouldnt the OP is renting a room. Therefore the landlord can pack her crap up and dump it out on the street without any notice. She is a licencee and has ZERO rights.

Complete nonsense :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

idiots
    Less of this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

D3PO wrote: »
    The OP has not said she lives in the landlord home, just that she is renting a room.

Complete nonsense :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No its not. If its rent a room which it is then its bang on the money. But then again you clearly havent a notion what your on about so whats the point in responding to you.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Victor wrote: »
    The OP has not said she lives in the landlord home, just that she is renting a room.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74530428 shes renting a room

• Advertisement

Licensees have to be given (I quote) "reasonable notice".

I researched this in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Licensees have to be given (I quote) "reasonable notice".

I researched this in the past.

Can you refer us to your sources?

Can you refer us to your sources?

I think it was oasis.gov.ie and irishstatutebook.ie

I was kicking out a person who was renting a room in the flat I was renting (i.e. I was the tenant, she was the licensee).

I did a lot of research on the topic to make sure I was covered. I didn't use forums for research.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

The answer to this really depends on the relationship you have with your landlord and what type of person they are. My advice would be to talk to him/ her and explain that you're unhappy there and just simply ask him/her about using the deposit as rent. If your landlord if a decent sort, they shouldn't have a problem with it if you've kept your room in good condition until now.
    Another thing to consider is, what if you're not able to find something within the month and need to stay on an extra couple of weeks? If you've been straight with your landlord then they're likely to give you that bit of leeway.
    In my opinion, it's always best to be upfront and honest in these situations, particularly if your landlord is decent, because all they want is enough time to get the room re-let so they're not out of pocket and for the room to be left clean and in good condition. Despite common belief, most landlords I deal with are actually human and understand that things like this happen.;)

Advertisement