Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Nokia n8 cover

Options
  • 09-10-2011 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

The lower cover on my phone(part with the home button) broke and I'm looking for a replacement for it.
    There are various sellers on Ebay etc, but only one mentions an antennae in this part and I don't want to get a dodgy replacement.
    I've googled this but can't find an definitive answer.
    So. does anyone know if thats where the antennae is located and do any of you know of a good replacement parts supplier?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Same thing happened to mine a few months back. Bottom casing came loose on one side cause plastic broke. I brought it to fone menders and ten mins and ten euro later it was replaced with a new piece. Save yourself the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I live in Galway and I'd be shocked to find someone to fix it for a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

True... I had mine fixed by fonemenders in Cork for... (drumroll, please)

nothing. :)

(Yes, the antenna is located in the bottom of the phone, but it's not part of the lower cover - the antenna and button slot into the plastic enclosure part..)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thanks for that Kevin.Will be in to you in the next couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

this exact same thing has happened me... is it a known flaw with these phones? Have been using the rubber cover to keep it together, but hate it, makes the phone look very ugly.

Will drop into a fonemenders so - thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

mollser, it depends on what happened to the phone first... if you dropped it, and it's obviously broken because of that, you'll probably have to pay, but it's not expensive.

There's always going to be problems where two different materials meet. In this case, the end-caps are plastic, while the body is aluminium. That aluminium makes the phone pretty slippery too, which is probably why so many get dropped.

Incidentally, I have dropped my phone again since then -- it fell down a tiled staircase, bounced at the bottom and skidded across another tiled floor until it hit the opposite wall.

It still works fine, but the replacement plastic endcap is broken again :( I'll drop it in for repair sometime, but there's no hurry, as I know I won't be getting it for free this time...

Advertisement