Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to search for something?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Looking to search for the term "HSDPA+" (its a type of broadband) but the + gets dropped from the search and I get results for HSDPA. :eek: :rolleyes:

Any way to enforce its inclusion?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've moved this to site development, as I suspect it may need a more technical answer.

My own quick tests show it doesn't work if URL encoded either, and the + is dropped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Dav wrote: »
    - I hope the new search will allow for short strings (2-3-4 letters) and wildcard, with instructions readily displayed on how to use the different search operators (""/+/-/AND/OR/*), etc.
    • Short strings and wildcards are currently implemented. AND and OR are not explicitly available at present, but it’s something we’re hoping to include in the future (I don’t have a timeframe, sorry).

+ is a search operator. To avoid parsing problems (when is a + used as part of a term, e.g. hsdpa+ or as part of a wider search request e.g. bread+jam+cookies) I suspect it's being stripped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Though as much, maybe enclosing in quotes (") may be a solution that could be enacted.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement