Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To Lanzarote for Good

Options
  • 09-10-2011 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi,

We are seriously thinking of moving to Lanzarote to lease or buy a small Tapas bar. Not sure if this is the right forum, but has anyone any advice? Or does anyone live there at the moment. We have been there many times already, and we love it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Bring a book to read on the way: http://www.amazon.com/Bartending-Dummies-Ray-Foley/dp/0764550519

Seriously though, good luck. Can we all come?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

anybody who i know who went to spain to live came back within 4 years divorced and alcoholics,just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

best of luck with it , its a risky move but it could pay off, if your setting up in a tourist area just remember you have 4 months of the year to pay for running the place for the whole year , during the dead season you will make fcuk all so your profits have to be made june-september

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Moved to Living Aboard Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

hiram wrote: »
    Hi,

We are seriously thinking of moving to Lanzarote to lease or buy a small Tapas bar. Not sure if this is the right forum, but has anyone any advice? Or does anyone live there at the moment. We have been there many times already, and we love it.

Dedication, motivated and a big plus is experience and to speak Spanish. Your going to be dealing with suppliers/locals its important you speak there native tongue IMO Visiting is one thing but living and working in an area is entirely different.

You put together a business plan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

pmcmahon wrote: »
    anybody who i know who went to spain to live came back within 4 years divorced and alcoholics,just saying.

My wife and I already have one of those boxes ticked, so its cool:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I've been to Lanzo on holiday as well as the neighbouring islands in recent years and was over last may in Fuerteventura .So we went for a meal to this local bistro ,one of many in the area where I got chatting to the Irish manager and asked him how buisness was and was it worth coming over here to work ? He simply said '' look around you ...the place is practically empty and I may have to find work again at roofing which was my previous occupation '' and and with the euro crisis etc ,he didn't hold out much improvment in the coming years .So not sure what the situation is like in Lanzo but would be best to get some more feedback from people who live there before making any final decision . Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

seems very vague, have you thought this through?

How's your Spanish?

best of luck with it , its a risky move but it could pay off, if your setting up in a tourist area just remember you have 4 months of the year to pay for running the place for the whole year , during the dead season you will make fcuk all so your profits have to be made june-september

Good point, Iwork in a seasonal Industry, so Im fairly familiar with the concept., Thanks

• Advertisement

How's your Spanish?

Im working on that:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

look into the idea of a chipper,there's one in mainland spain where i go and the thing is a gold mine.

Im working on that:D

In my experience, Language barrier can be the making and breaking of how successful you are. I spent many years working around the world and I found that the hardest thing to overcome.

I eventually returned to an English speaking country to have a business and was then lucky enough to be able to transfer it to Ireland.

Jay D wrote: »
    seems very vague, have you thought this through?

Ohhh,yes....no kids, in our late 30's, small mortgage, ....sick of this country and its weather, also a musician, which is a usefull skill when the **** hits the fan, very little commitment here, easily drop everything and go.

Ohhh,yes....no kids, in our late 30's, small mortgage, ....sick of this country and its weather, also a musician, which is a usefull skill when the **** hits the fan, very little commitment here, easily drop everything and go.

Do it then, you'd be mad not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Is the Spanish economy not more fcuked than ours is at the minute?

Is the Spanish economy not more fcuked than ours is at the minute?

Warm sunshine on your face eases that pain, I can tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I know a chap, personally, who just closed the doors on his bar and came home.
    your proposal is a non starter I believe.

However if you have an existing income,or early pension go and live there for six months and see how it goes.

Regards,Rugbyman

To much heat can make some go potty to ...

rugbyman wrote: »

However if you have an existing income,or early pension go and live there for six months and see how it goes.

Regards,Rugbyman

Oh Right, jeezzz, I might as well forget about it then....:D...Listen, If I had a penny for every time "a chap" failed in whatever exploit he or she was involved in, I'd be a millionaire, I think its all about dogged persistance, and luck, and personal situation....and in our case, Its very much a starter!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Orizio wrote: »
    Don't, its a ****hole.

Your right, its a dump seriously

Sorry not to be helpful but of all the places i have been i think lanzarote is probably the worst.

Tenerife is nice though but it depends what you are looking for.

rugbyman wrote: »

Regards,Rugbyman

Actually, is your mates place for sale??

From your discription OP ,it sounds like a venture which leaves you open to make a loss which your willing to except so if it all goes pear shaped your not to bothered .

I'm off to Salou next week but only on holiday ...which suits us fine .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

if you need an Irish, fluent spanish speaking, ex-similar bar owner, as an employee.. send me a PM

nice_very wrote: »
    if you need an Irish, fluent spanish speaking, ex-similar bar owner, as an employee.. send me a PM

Are you living in Lanz at the moment??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I'm planning a long term move to Tenerife next year, but I'll be living off an income from a business back here, so that softens the blow somewhat. Like the OP, I just need a complete change of scenery from drab depressed Ireland. Although recession and a property crash has hit the Canaries very hard, there is less obvious dreariness there among the population. As regards restaurants and bars in the Canaries, it is true to say that business is very patchy. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained

Advertisement