Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushfit or compression fittings on Qual-pex pipe?

• 09-10-2011 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Pipe is 1/2" (15mm) light brown Qual-pex barrier pipe, used for supplying washing machine, so mains pressure. Is there a pushfit connection that will do the job, or would I be better off with compression type fittings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

tmcw wrote: »
    Pipe is 1/2" (15mm) light brown Qual-pex barrier pipe, used for washing machine, so mains pressure. Is there a pushfit connection that will do the job, or would I be better off with compression type fittings?

Hi:)

I would go with the compression fittings. I used all compression on my qualpex and had no problems. Don't forget the inserts.

Stove Fan:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Thanks, I was thinking the compression ones would be better. Not familiar with the Qualpex system, or any rigid pipes like it but it's used in the house, so thanks for the hint about the inserts.

Are the inserts easy enough to get? I'm only extending the utility water stopcock about 50cm, so only need 2 or 3 inserts, and a 90 degree-angle fitting to join the existing line to the extension.

Would I get away with reusing the fitting (insert, olive and compression nut) already on there, or is it a case of once they're loosened, cut it off, and use new?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

tmcw wrote: »
    Thanks, I was thinking the compression ones would be better. Not familiar with the Qualpex system, or any rigid pipes like it but it's used in the house, so thanks for the hint about the inserts.

Are the inserts easy enough to get? I'm only extending the utility water stopcock about 50cm, so only need 2 or 3 inserts, and a 90 degree-angle fitting to join the existing line to the extension.

Would I get away with reusing the fitting (insert, olive and compression nut) already on there, or is it a case of once they're loosened, cut it off, and use new?

1/2 inch inserts inserts are cheap as chips and very handy to get,any builders providers of diy shop will have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Replace the compression ring and inserts. FWIW, if you're dealing with mains pressure on pex pipe, then use compression fittings. Don't use push fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Replace the compression ring and inserts. FWIW, if you're dealing with mains pressure on pex pipe, then use compression fittings. Don't use push fit.

Is this the manufacturer's recommendation or your opinion?

Read the following for guidance:

http://www.pipelife.ie/media/ie/QPL_PDFs/Tectite-Certificate-Irish-Market---IAB-010117-Tectite-Fittings.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

bette wrote: »

http://www.pipelife.ie/media/ie/QPL_PDFs/Tectite-Certificate-Irish-Market---IAB-010117-Tectite-Fittings.pdf
    You can spout all you want about agrément approvals but I would concur with Buford. Compression fittings with inserts are as good as you get. I have used plenty of both types and all the push fit do is save a little time, they aren't even that much cheaper.
    The only time I have had hassle with Qualpex is with compression fittings.
    You might argue that they weren't fitted properly but I have never had any hassle with compression fittings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I used a load of push fittings....no problems with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

If pushfit fittings are used on mains supply especially on connections to copper a surge on the mains after shutdown can and will pop them.

DoneDL wrote: »
    If pushfit fittings are used on mains supply especially on connections to copper a surge on the mains after shutdown can and will pop them.

You have proof of this I suppose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

I have personal experience of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would not use push fit on mains. I have seen the reasons why.

Another thing to bear in mind. There is pressure drops on mains and rises every night. If the push fit is done incorrectly you will know about it in the morning,

Like i say its just personel choice..... Compression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

And push fit don't like frost, i've changed countless of them that always crack along their seems. :cool:

Compression always.

DoneDL wrote: »
    I have personal experience of it.

I have personal experience of a burst tap on a kitchen sink! That does not prove anything. Frost got the better of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

We have water pressure up to 150 psi here (good pressure at top of hill then we are 200ft down from houses at the top) and never had a problem with either fittings when correctly made. I'm not a professional plumber so I make all the joints losely first then when I know everything fits go back and tighten everything up, this let me down once when I forgot an insert and thats the only time I've had a joint failure in a compression fitting on qualpex.

Also have redone most of a large static caravan with plastic push fit fittings, advantage is its easy to drain the system down for the winter but even when I've been too late and caught a few bad frosts its been the old copper pipe and the compression fiting that have gone, the plastic seems to have a bit of give in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You have proof of this I suppose?
    I have personal experience of a burst tap on a kitchen sink! That does not prove anything. Frost got the better of it.

I think you'll find that it proves frost will burst pipes.

Copper pipe will burst if frozen and thawn out. If you are using pex and push fits and it freezes and thaws it will push the pipe out of the fitting. I've seen this first hand on more than one occasion - under a floor in a house, and in the attic of another house where the entire place was destroyed by water as a result.

Tell you what, you go on ahead and do as you're doing. The OP asked for advice and more than a few people have said not to use push fit. All of us have had personal experience as said of why not to use them, so you go right ahead - knock yourself out with you're proof and manufacturers guidelines. Personal experience is more valuable here imo.

I think you'll find that it proves frost will burst pipes.

Copper pipe will burst if frozen and thawn out. If you are using pex and push fits and it freezes and thaws it will push the pipe out of the fitting. I've seen this first hand on more than one occasion - under a floor in a house, and in the attic of another house where the entire place was destroyed by water as a result.

Tell you what, you go on ahead and do as you're doing. The OP asked for advice and more than a few people have said not to use push fit. All of us have had personal experience as said of why not to use them, so you go right ahead - knock yourself out with you're proof and manufacturers guidelines. Personal experience is more valuable here imo.

Personal experience? Good man yourself. I applaud you. Mind you I would never take advice based on personal experience. I have qualpex running out to my outhouse and it survived the frost of last year. My tap did not! I might

Advertisement