Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another day, another batch of county finals.

Options
  • 09-10-2011 4:42pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

Well it's County Final day in muckball and they're out in force around the Ballintemple area.

The green in our estate has been destroyed thanks to ignorant parking.

There's a car causing a choke point which would block a fire engine or ambulance and the guards don't give a damn.

The Corpo has agreed to give the GAA public land at a cheap rate down the Pairc and not a hoot is given to the residents who have to put up with litter, urination, destruction of private property and hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yup, same going on here. GAAnimals are at it as usual, parking everywhere they like an ignoring things like double yellow lines, and generally cutting up green areas without any consideration at all. I'm actually staying at home today because if I want to leave my housing estate, it's too dangerous to do it by car as they've blocked all visibility onto the main road outside my house, and I'd have to keep edging forwards hoping something isn't flying down the hill at 50mph waiting to take the front of my car off.

Not to mention the litter. They don't give a sh*t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,902 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Really enjoyed the games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I also enjoyed the games, g'wan the Courcies!

I also enjoyed parking indiscriminately and illegally on some green in some negative equity estate, I would've gone the whole hog and knocked down some ill bred scummer city kids as well if they were playing on the green.

Alas they weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

My favourite part was when a Garda enthusiastically waved someone onto the green area where children were playing. It defies logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

its an absolute disaster down that way on matchdays, i have spent 30 minutes driving a half mile when they all try leave at the same time,
    they have about 20 parking spaces at most for hundreds of cars,

and i even managed to hit a pedestrian a few years back after a match at pairc ui rinn, nothing was said about the row of cars parked on double yellow lines right where the accident happened:( (i understand it was mostly my fault)

i wonder if i tried to get permission for a soccer stadium with space for 20 cars would i be refused planning permission??

edit: actually after a thread on here a few weeks/months the gardai had put their yellow cones down along the whole length of the boreenmana road from the junction after the silver key to the funeral home, it did stop people parking there but im sure they just headed somewhere else, i think eoin may have contacted the gardai before about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

parsi wrote: »
    Well it's County Final day in muckball and they're out in force around the Ballintemple area.

The green in our estate has been destroyed thanks to ignorant parking.

There's a car causing a choke point which would block a fire engine or ambulance and the guards don't give a damn.

The Corpo has agreed to give the GAA public land at a cheap rate down the Pairc and not a hoot is given to the residents who have to put up with litter, urination, destruction of private property and hassle.

You live in an area adjacent to a large stadium that at this time of the year is used weekly by teams from all over the County. What do you expect....that the crowds will magically appear and disappear without disruption? In most countries stadiums have either large car parks or world class public transport servicing them. Páirc Uí Chaoimh has neither.

bladebrew wrote: »

i wonder if i tried to get permission for a soccer stadium with space for 20 cars would i be refused planning permission??

Aviva Stadium!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You live in an area adjacent to a large stadium that at this time of the year is used weekly by teams from all over the County. What do you expect....that the crowds will magically appear and disappear without disruption?

Not at all, GAA games while I've no interest in them, provide huge benefits to all communities. They give kids in areas with little to do a sense of belonging, and help them develop real social skills.

What I expect is simply a bit of manners and common sense. Don't park on double yellow lines, and don't block entrances/exits of housing estates. If it means you have to walk a further 3 minutes to the game by the time you find a parking spot, then so be it. Enjoy the games, I enjoy hearing the roars out of the stadiums, but don't be a dick about it.

Owen wrote: »
    Not at all, GAA games while I've no interest in them, provide huge benefits to all communities. They give kids in areas with little to do a sense of belonging, and help them develop real social skills.

What I expect is simply a bit of manners and common sense. Don't park on double yellow lines, and don't block entrances/exits of housing estates. If it means you have to walk a further 3 minutes to the game by the time you find a parking spot, then so be it. Enjoy the games, I enjoy hearing the roars out of the stadiums, but don't be a dick about it.

People being people will park as close as they can even if it means parking on double yellow lines etc. And they will continue to do this because the Gardaí don't give a shyte about enforcing parking regulations. Until people are fined and cars are towed away en masse for illegal parking then things won't change. But realistically does any believe the Gardaí will actually do that??

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You live in an area adjacent to a large stadium that at this time of the year is used weekly by teams from all over the County. What do you expect....that the crowds will magically appear and disappear without disruption? In most countries stadiums have either large car parks or world class public transport servicing them. Páirc Uí Chaoimh has neither.

I expect people to show respect for other peoples property.

I expect people to put the effort in and walk a few hundred yards from the large carparks that aren't all that far away. Park in town and get the bus, park in Mahon Point and walk along the walkway.

I expect people to bring their litter and their piss home with them.

• Advertisement

This. I'd to clean up our place this evening. How hard is it to bring your rubbish home?

I expect people to put the effort in and walk a few hundred yards from the large carparks that aren't all that far away. Park in town and get the bus, park in Mahon Point and walk along the walkway.

Why would people do that when they can park much closer to the ground? Sunday afternoon you only have 2 or 3 buses per hour that go from town towards Pairc Uí Chaoimh, so that's say 150 people per hour that can go by bus, and those are unreliable at the best of times.

As I said above unless there is ruthless enforcement by the Gardaí this won't change...but realistically, all the Gardaí want is an easy Sunday afternoon because enforcing the law would be too much hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

i wonder could the residents association get a private clamper/tow in it would be well worth the companies while by the sounds of it.

i wonder could the residents association get a private clamper/tow in it would be well worth the companies while by the sounds of it.

Doubtful....unless cars are being parking in peoples' gardens, it's public property.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Doubtful....unless cars are being parking in peoples' gardens, it's public property.
    Its not so black and white anymore i believe, theres a few estates in douglas where private companies were trying to get each house to sign up and then they were allowed operate if all houses were in agreement, to be honest its a very grey area in law these private clamplers but if the council isnt doing the job someone should be brought in to do it for them

Its not so black and white anymore i believe, theres a few estates in douglas where private companies were trying to get each house to sign up and then they were allowed operate if all houses were in agreement, to be honest its a very grey area in law these private clamplers but if the council isnt doing the job someone should be brought in to do it for them

Sounds like an awful lot of hassle. All the residents would have to get some kind of permit to display on their cars and then what if you had a friend or a family member visiting your house and they got clamped? Anyway I'm pretty sure these private clamping companies can only operate on public roads on authority from the local city/county council. They can't just start clamping without authority to do so.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Why would people do that when they can park much closer to the ground? Sunday afternoon you only have 2 or 3 buses per hour that go from town towards Pairc Uí Chaoimh, so that's say 150 people per hour that can go by bus, and those are unreliable at the best of times.

As I said above unless there is ruthless enforcement by the Gardaí this won't change...but realistically, all the Gardaí want is an easy Sunday afternoon because enforcing the law would be too much hard work.

Your last paragraph pretty much hits the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

They should just provide a shuttle bus to bring them all in from town. There are plenty of empty unused car parks at this time of year on a Sunday, or they could actually build a better stadium in a better location.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Here here for the rubbish it is really unfair and arrogant of people just to through it around the place. Our garden gets full of it and they leave all their crap on the wall. Same when the Marquee or the marathon is on the Council should really make more of an effort to clean the place up the next day...why dont they open the showgrounds when these events are on sure they could charge and make more money which the council would do.

I've said it before, but the Eircom yard next to Cork Conn is ideal for this. Eircom are trying to sell it, it's huge, has barriers at the entrance/exit, and even if they only charged a fiver, they'd make a few thousand euro for the day that was in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement