Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hill start

• 09-10-2011 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

i was wondering if any of you guys hill start a tractor if so i was wondering if you could tell me if this is the correct procedure, put the tractor(mf 265) in 4th high throttle up to the last leave the clutch depressed while it runs down a hill and let it up of shot? is this the correct way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Yep, put it in top gear and do as you said.
    We did it a lot in the old days. It's a dangerous enough thing to do. Once it starts it picks up speed big time. It takes a while to stop, so if something goes wrong, hard to stop it in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

I think the technical term is "Hillside battery" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

my grand dad was killed by hill starting a 165!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    i was wondering if any of you guys hill start a tractor if so i was wondering if you could tell me if this is the correct procedure, put the tractor(mf 265) in 4th high throttle up to the last leave the clutch depressed while it runs down a hill and let it up of shot? is this the correct way

Get a battery or whatever ever else is out of order, and save yourself the hassle, inconvenience and danger to yourself and whoever else might happen to come in your way, while you are arsing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Get a battery or whatever ever else is out of order, and save yourself the hassle, inconvenience and danger to yourself and whoever else might happen to come in your way, while you are arsing around.

fair enough, father did hill starts all the time best just leave it to him for hill starting, are car battery chargers the way to go saw one advertised in lidl for 20 euro worth a go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

as advised get a battery and get the starter and wiring sorted, or what ever else is wrong

why be fuc& acting with a dangerous practise for the sake of a few yoyo and not doing your clutch and gearbox any good either ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

God lads I think some of ye are very harsh, Dan just asked how to hill start a tractor, if it is done properly, it is safe. Ok if there are small kids around they can sit up on it and let the tractor off down the hill. Maybe financial circumstances don't allow OP the price of a battery and getting a starter and a wiring job sorted?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

sound blue ha, its just the battery is dead and wont be getting one till tommorow so just wanted to be certain i remembered how to do it correctly, all criticism taken constructively :) but anyone know if those cheap battery chargers work? and if they do will the resurrect and tractor battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I always hill stated in 2nd high
    I would go for a slightly dearer charger 70 to 100 euros in argos and take the 3 year insurance in case you roll over it with the tractor
    IMO the small chargers are fine for moterbikes or 1 litre cars but a tractor might need more amps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

i have one of those chargers, works fine on a tractor battery, battery is nearly gone, but put this charger on for a day and away she goes, tractor usually starts 2nd turn.

• Advertisement

Askim wrote: »
    i have one of those chargers, works fine on a tractor battery, battery is nearly gone, but put this charger on for a day and away she goes, tractor usually starts 2nd turn.
    thanks for the replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

sound blue ha, its just the battery is dead and wont be getting one till tommorow so just wanted to be certain i remembered how to do it correctly, all criticism taken constructively :) but anyone know if those cheap battery chargers work? and if they do will the resurrect and tractor battery?

The best charger I ever seen for a tractor battery was called an altenator;) Is the tractor charging cause if not a new battery is a waste of time. If the altenator is goosed Gus Murphy in Ennis would recondition it for about 80 euro and it would save you a lot of arsing going with chargers and battery boosters. Im not giving out to you now but the main problem I would have with it is that every time you want it it's going to be dead if its not charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It wouldn't be a practice that would be popular around here..... no hills!! :D

For the sake of the few quid get things sorted. Safety should always take precedent.

It's amazing how many things on a farm are done 'for the time being' and soon morpe into becoming the accepted norm. (I'm as guilty as the next man:o)

When you think about it, it's going to take the same time and the same money to do it whenever it gets done....... the only difference is the safety risk increases as time passes (complacency, unfamiliar operatives using it etc etc) ......

So why not get it done straight away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

get some jump leads to be safe, last thing you want is to stall it on flat ground!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

get some jump leads to be safe, last thing you want is to stall it on flat ground![/Quote]

Seen a battry explode yesterday with leads on it .not kool.no one hurt but very close.

alternator fine just battery old and has been sitting for a while

Advertisement