Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dennis OBrien Vs Sam Smyth?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I've no doubt his legal team are savvy enough to have made sure they're on solid ground before giving him the gold watch... maybe the contract is up and they drum up a fall in listenership figures or a proposed reshuffle of presenters to send him on his way...however, the wraith of his criticism of O'Brien hangs over the affair and leaves a bad taste... and the fact that it also serves as a friendly reminder to others on the payroll to keep their nose pointed firmly in other directions.

I didn't especially like him or the show....but it was a decent alternative to moneybags on the R1 and he had some good guests and I'd say it drew a decent sized audience....replacing him with Anton Savage isn't a great move IMO (despite the fact I like Savage)... shows like these need a good pair of hands with some political wisdom and a long memory in order to get the best out of topics...a 30 something no matter how prodigious isn't going to cut it. Maybe he'll make the show his own and turn it in another direction for a different younger audience...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Senators raise issue of Smyth removal from Today FM

"The official Ipsos MRBI JNLR figures show the number of listeners to the Sunday Supplement programme declined by 15.5 per cent between June 2008 and June 2011. However, in the same three-year period, Today FM’s listenership declined by 23 per cent from a daily weekday average of 109,000 in 2008 to 84,000 this year, according to the national stations primetime adult average quarter hour audience which are part of the JNLRs."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Just heard Sam Smyth sign off for the last time today. He didn't take too much of a pop at O'Brien, apart from saying that the issue of media ownership needs to be addressed.

I remember Eamon Dunphy about a month ago in response to a text into his show saying that Denis O'Brien didn't own him and didn't own Sam Smyth.

And now they're both gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I wonder if Smyth would be in the running for Tubb's slot on 2FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

DB21 wrote: »
    I wonder if Smyth would be in the running for Tubb's slot on 2FM.

Thats an interesting idea, and equally I think Dunphy might be a good choice, as they are both a great loss to broadcasting. However, I think it unlikely ORETE is capable of making the right decision, and will probably just shuffle the same old tired pack if Tubridy does go. God forbid the tabloid Joe Duffy might get the gig, as his current show is often the lowest of the low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Rubik. wrote: »
    Senators raise issue of Smyth removal from Today FM

"The official Ipsos MRBI JNLR figures show the number of listeners to the Sunday Supplement programme declined by 15.5 per cent between June 2008 and June 2011. However, in the same three-year period, Today FM’s listenership declined by 23 per cent from a daily weekday average of 109,000 in 2008 to 84,000 this year, according to the national stations primetime adult average quarter hour audience which are part of the JNLRs."

See the final part of the post

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/101843-jnlr-2011-3-national-listenership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Heard a bit of the show yesterday.. Not mad on Sam Smyth tbh... He loses far too much time misreading headlines then correcting himself, struggling with the equipment.. I cant believe he's at the show as long as he is, and is still so bad and keeping the thing flowing... He's worse than Vincent Browne on TV3.... Didnt make much sense to fly him to New York to pre record the show yesterday, and then tell the audience every five minutes "dont bother texting cos we're all in bed"..

What happens next week.. I guess Denis O'Brien will broadcast Anton Savage on both TodayFM and Newstalk??

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Is it not just plausible that Sam Smyth had served his time and like many presenters, got stale?? Unfair Dismissals Act (as someone mentioned) does generally not apply if SS was on contract... I'm sure it is written into his contract regarding listenership figures. If he sues, chances are he would win a moral cictory as many cases are lost by employers on technicality... Either way, can't see DOB loosing sleep. same goes for Dunphy... I actually like him as he is not boring, but he is mouthing off too much and most people are not listening.. he will pop up somewhere else.. would be a far better morning presenter than Tubridy (IMO), but may not appeal to the female audience too much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Caledonman wrote: »
    Is it not just plausible that Sam Smyth had served his time and like many presenters, got stale?? Unfair Dismissals Act (as someone mentioned) does generally not apply if SS was on contract... I'm sure it is written into his contract regarding listenership figures. ..........

True.

I find the hullabaloo about S Smyth incredibly bewildering.
    1. He only got famous because of a lucky break, he being handed the Ben Dunne/Haughey story on a plate. It wasn't as a result of any investigative work by SS.
    2. As a radio presenter he was dreadful. He had a few buddies in for a chat every week. Nothing decisive ever came out of his programme and nothing informative. I stopped listening to it a long time ago, Smyth's irritating habit of interrupting every speaker was too much. He never allowed anyone to make their point.

He'll not be missed, it was well past time to get a fresh face/voice for that slot.

As for Denis O'Brien? RTE could well copy his example and release some of their tired horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Newstalk tonight reporting DO'Bs call for Gavin O'Reilly to resign as Independent MD without including any comment from O'Reilly. Just verbatim quoting what DO'B said. Very one sidded reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

GSF wrote: »
    Newstalk tonight reporting DO'Bs call for Gavin O'Reilly to resign as Independent MD without including any comment from O'Reilly. Just verbatim quoting what DO'B said. Very one sidded reporting.

You assume that GO'R actually commented....it's only one-sided if GO'R actually responded. Otherwise, it's just reporting what was said....

Sometimes there's only side anyhow... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

GSF wrote: »

Its hardly newsworthy, one man (with an agenda) calls for another man to resign (in an obvious bid to further the first man's agenda).

It is, undoubtedly, a happy coincidence that Newstalk carries this non story, as we all know Denis O'Brien says he does not influence or intefere with Newstalk. :D

Advertisement