Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing work prior to arriving on WHV?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone on here has had any luck in securing work prior to arriving in Oz on their WHV? Or even interviews lined up in the weeks before they arrived?

Have been searching through various job sites and there seems plenty of work in Melbourne, but just wondering if people have been successful in applying while still in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You'd be pushing it, this is a holiday visa after all, most companies won't bother, and unless you have an amazing CV's recruiters might tell you they'll look out for ya etc, but they won't, will keep your CV on hold

Also don't look for a job as soon as you land, give yourself at least a week to settle down and get settled (esp if you are flying direct - nothing will prepare you for jet lag)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fizzlefozzle

I applied for a few, in NZ, and in the cover letter indicated I would arrive soon, and was looking for interviews. Basically, one or two recruiters just saw what I was doing, and asked me to write back when I get there, and they'd help me get a job.

Recovering from jet-lag, takes a week or so, and in the meantime you can always apply for an IRD, or your tax form, or do some snooping around, asking people questions etc .. is a good way to go.

Still not sure what to be looking for myself, except fruit picking. I think there is the whole hospitality industry, and if you have some experience with that, you might get something in that area.

Maybe, there are other kinds of jobs I should have been looking for. Not sure, if I'll get something in my profession, but it's worth a shot, in any case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Yeah, I had a feeling it would be a big big task of getting things lined up before arriving alright, but had heard some stories of lads getting jobs before arriving.

Is the jet lag that bad? I am stopping in Thailand for 3 weeks before arriving in Melbourne so perhaps won't be as bad. (At least I pray!)

I think it's good advice there to spend the first week or two getting forms etc together and talking to people to suss out things. Cheers lads! :)

Advertisement