Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a kindle

Options
  • 09-10-2011 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hey guys I'm thinking of getting a kindle which will be used predominantly for reading and maybe some e-mail or light boards usage, just wondering should I get the kindle keyboard or wait and get the kindle fire shipped over.

Will the colour screen be as good for reading as the e-ink on the current version?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

If you want it mainly for reading, get a regular kindle, the Fire is a tablet basically and won't be a good book reader as they won't use the same e-ink in that device.

The kindle is fantastic so if I was you, go for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Yeah I was thinking that alright, regular old kindle it is so. Should I get a light or case with it or is it fine on it's own?

Also is there a way of getting kindle compatible books from cheaper sources than Amazon?

Thanks for the Help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

From what I have read (and briefly experienced), the web browser on a Kindle is pretty poor in comparison to regular tablets.

So if you are doing a lot of surfing the web, it may not be the ideal device.

Also consider screen size - is a Kindle screen big enough for you?
    civichead wrote: »
    Also is there a way of getting kindle compatible books from cheaper sources than Amazon?

No, that's the idea. Amazon (like Apple) want to lock you into their shop and spend your money with them.

If, however, you bought another table device, you would have a wider range of choices (Zino, PressReader, Kobo, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Hmm, I will be using the kindle for reading most of the time as I have my laptop and phone to surf the net; but I don't like the idea of the process of getting content being monopolized.

I really like the kindles screen though and I dunno if any other e-reader is as good on the eye's. Would you have any recommendations or is the kindle really the best of the bunch.

Advertisement