Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help wiring a Horstmann Channelplus H47XL

• 09-10-2011 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hey there

I need to wire this programable controller to an odd arrangement
    This is the installation guide here
    http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/H...onsSeries2.pdf

I need Zone 1 to send a live feed to a boiler control panel to enable
    Zone 2 - to feed HW pump
    Zone 2 - to feed CH pump

Looking at the instructions I loop from Live to connection 2 & 5. So in principal, when the programmer comes on, Zone 1 will be enabled then, then zone 2 or 3 as required - would that work? Would connection 1, 3 and 4 send the live feed I need ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What sort of boiler is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

opop wood pellet boiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

when you link L to 2 and 5

that gives you a 'live out' on any zone that's on(1,2,3,4)

you want the timer to switch on the zone pumps for hot water and rads

i don't get the boiler bit

if you're saying you don't want the pumps to come on unless zone 1 is on you can do that by linking from L to 2 and then from 1 to 5

i thought with wood pellet that the boiler cut in automatically when the zone pumps were on-although i've never worked on it

from what I can see the boiler gets its feed to the control panel - which then feeds the pumps on the manifold. The boiler fires up to 100% then modulates down to 10% if no hot water is called for. Then the underfloor upstairs /downstairs/HW each have their own pump. Room stats control the actuators on the manifolds itself. Took me about a day to figure out whats going on !

Usually for a gas boiler would have a L+N+E supply to it. Then it would be timer zone to room stat, room stat to zone motorised valve. The valve has a switch in it. All zone valves have their switches in parallel, and these are put into the boilers control loop.

So it depends how the boiler here is controlled. Sounds like its similar to what you have said there about the boiler setup

• Advertisement

yeah, I have tried to wire it as indicated on the instructions - controller starts up fine but when I time another channel to come on, it trips the main switch. For instance I wired the HW pump to be fed from no. 1 out and it tripped. I then send a live down to that pump from a socket and lead seperatly to test and it ran perfect , so that ruled out a pump problem.

Tried it on the other "live outs" and still the same, samething happens with feed to other pumps. Might do some further investigation tomorrow on it when I have more time.

ive worked on different systems

they'll all vary a little

for that you'll have something like a permanent supply for the wood pellet

and then timer channel>stats>actuators with the logic strip(terminal block) located beside manifolds bringing on one of the pumps

have you not been given a wiring diagram or instructions

it's not complicated but it has to be setup right

you can't wing it

yes - theres a permanant supply to the WP boiler from the old set up, interestingly, the boiler is in a shed, which has a seperate little consumer unit in it for lights and sockets, but there is one socket fed from the main house...bit red lettering over it. IF GARAGE POWER ISOLATED - SOCKET IS STILL LIVE!

:rolleyes:

No instructions or wiring diagrams, hence I spent the day following wires around the house. Theres been 2 diff sparks who did the work initially, its my own house and Im an degree qualified Electrial Engineer - whilst not a spark, I would know my way around a wiring diagram should I have one !

• Advertisement

so your upstairs timer channel

feeds upstairs stats

which switch upstairs actuators

which in turn switch on upstairs pump via logic strip or whatever

more than likely i'd say

not quite

upstairs timer channel feeds upstairs underfloorpump, roomstats control the actuators -
    When you want heat upstairs the small inline pump is always running when the that zone is activated. the stats will knock off the zone actuator on the manifold as required.

new one on me - the timer switching the pumps direct

usually timer >stat>actuator

with a 'call for heat' (actuator opening) bringing on a pump ime

thats what I thought as well - oh well, will do more investigation tomorrow , thanks all so far

not quite

upstairs timer channel feeds upstairs underfloorpump, roomstats control the actuators -
    When you want heat upstairs the small inline pump is always running when the that zone is activated. the stats will knock off the zone actuator on the manifold as required.

Doesnt sound right, timer channel likely should supply stat, stat opens actuator if timer channel is on, and the seperate zone pumps can come on with the actuator feed from stat. Maybe actuators then fire the boiler. They would in a proper setup gas system.

The stat and timer you wouldnt expect to be seperate and independent of each other, as now the timer can bring zone pump on even if stat is off and actuator along with it, which would seem pointless.

Boilers own pump might have over run and bypass to circulate when zones close, to dissapate boiler heat.

i only had a quick look at the wood pellet lately

customer changed to condensing oil boiler

if i recall the boiler was regulated by the temperature of the adjacent stored hot water

the pumps circulating cool this, which in turn brings on the boiler

each room/rooms controlled by a stat is a zone and a call for heat on any zone brings on area pump via relay at manifold ime

Yea but you wouldnt expect the timer to be opening the actuator independently of the stat bringing on that zones pump.

But anyway, a clear diagram/instructions of boiler operation and its straight forward then. Never did anything on the wood pellet boilers myself.

either you're given instructions or a wiring diagram

Unless its a bog standard simple system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Ya he posted that up in his first post

• Advertisement

Prob resolved - theres a seperate apartment adjacent to the house which we put on a new seperate meter months ago. With all the rejigging that went on and since we hadnt used the heating or HW since then, the a nuetral got moved over to a different consumer unit and RCD - so it seems was getting a live back through the nuetral :(
    Whilst the spark was here we arranged the heating controls in a more standard arrangement - stats controlling the pumps etc and it seems to work away :)
    Fault finding like that was way over my paygrade - spark had it found in 30mins (to be fair, I had done all the donkey work beforehand tracing cables lol)

Thanks for all the guidance.

Advertisement